Drop pod one man

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, fredde

Postby dilanski » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:01 pm

BFenix wrote:I agree drop pods should be simple. But why making one with a capacity for one person? Besides, looking from a strategic point of view, imagine a night op. One drop pod would make less of a racket then a whole bunch of them. But that doesn't matter.

Imagine the Space Marine Drop Pod. it holds a bunch of marines inside and it carries a protective automated weapon.

Drop pods don't work for stealth ops.
ImageImage
o/
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby Keldoclock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:42 am

Have you learned nothing from Halo:ODST?

Also, one man pods can carry heroes, or be launched from stealthier ships, and can most likely manuever around in the sky
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:21 am

You're quoting from HALO? Bwah-hahahaha! I do hope that was sarcasm... That's like using Star Wars as a guide for Ship Classes. The object of a games designer or film maker is not to educate you on military hardware or their probable uses. They just stuff what looks cool into a game to keep a bunch of stupid no nothing mall brats happily zombiefied in front of a screen all day. If you read a book about actual warfare you might be able to make your own conclusions about this sort of stuff. And yes, it's all imaginary futuristic stuff but still has to have some grounding in reality to have any respect or credibility.

Drop Pods are for fast shock landings, they would probably make lots of noise and they would cause a fiery trail on entry into atmosphere no matter how stealth the mother ship was. You want something that'll reach the ground as soon as possible so the troops inside can deploy. You'll want to split the pods into small numbers of troops per pod so that a Flak kill doesn't wipe out a lot of guys per hit. The troops would be light troops, just like WWII paratroopers. So only armed with equipment that can be fitted into the pods. Weapons pods would supply more ammo and some support weapon options. Until the main landings occur the troops would be effectively stranded and cut off unless their fleet controlled the planets orbit, in which case they could call down bombardments.

Stealth Option? Some sort of scrambler that messes with all electronic detection and targeting BUT the visual and audio thing on entry to atmo will still be present I should imagine. Unless your dropping on a fairly primitive planet or a sparsely populated region then it isn't stealth.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:39 am

Oh Warhead, stop using reason and logic. You're starting to sound like the fun police.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:37 am

Pleh... two rights don't make a wrong.

Ok, go ahead with your stealth pods if you like. What's next, midi-chlorians? :? Grr!
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Magic Soap » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:50 am

Keldoclock wrote:Have you learned nothing from Halo:ODST?

Also, one man pods can carry heroes, or be launched from stealthier ships, and can most likely manuever around in the sky

Please, HALO is fun because it is OTT, even for "sci-fi", even if science can be applied to HALO. Also, Spartan117. Need I say more?
Magic Soap
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Gungnir » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:01 am

Your minifigs had better be tough, or they're in for a rough ride.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby dilanski » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:54 am

Gungnir wrote:Your minifigs had better be tough, or they're in for a rough ride.

While with space marine pods thats true, non super human pods would have about double or triple the deceleration time letting them survive and still get to the ground quickly.

Also- Warhead+Logic=Paradox?
ImageImage
o/
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby Magic Soap » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:13 am

Has anyone else noticed WH40K=Starcraft races?
Magic Soap
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby aoffan23 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Magic Soap wrote:Has anyone else noticed WH40K=Starcraft races?

Except 40k started up in the 80's (?), so if I'm correct (which isn't super likely), 40k came around first.

I have no knowledge of Starcraft apart from the one game I've played in comm tech, so I could be wrong.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby BFenix » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:45 pm

Warhead wrote:Drop Pods are for fast shock landings, they would probably make lots of noise and they would cause a fiery trail on entry into atmosphere no matter how stealth the mother ship was. You'll want to split the pods into small numbers of troops per pod so that a Flak kill doesn't wipe out a lot of guys per hit.

Ok, go ahead with your stealth pods if you like. What's next, midi-chlorians? Grr!

Agreed. But remember Warhead, were talking Brikwars here. If you want to make reality-based impossible Stealth Drop Pods, you just make them!
But yes, your military point of view if absolutely correct. I realized the drop pods idea is just like nowadays parachuting or halo dropping (nothing to do with the videogame) thanks to my visit to the Military History Museum.
We Portuguese used to do lots of parachuting on Africa in the Ultramar War (1961-1974).
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby BFenix » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Keldoclock wrote:Have you learned nothing from Halo:ODST?

No I havent. ODST teaches you nothing if you are to take military reality seriously.
And in a videogame point of view, ODST was just another game to keep up the Halo spirit Bungie made, and to keep the Halo kiddies entertained while the development of Halo: Reach started. They don't seem to see anything besides Halo :?
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby BFenix » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:13 pm

aoffan23 wrote:
Magic Soap wrote:Has anyone else noticed WH40K=Starcraft races?

Except 40k started up in the 80's (?), so if I'm correct (which isn't super likely), 40k came around first.

I have no knowledge of Starcraft apart from the one game I've played in comm tech, so I could be wrong.

If I remember correctly, the Warhammer 40K universe first saw the light of playability in the '80s, 1987 to be exact, yet It wasnt like the todays Battle of Macragge or Fall of Medusa V introductory sets. It started off with Rogue Trader, an RPG.

Blizzard only released Starcraft in 1990. And they didnt even thought of something like the Zerg or Terrans before 'cause they were busy with the previous Warcrafts.

So there. Anyways, Blizzard always admitted to have been inspired by the Games-Workshop and Wizards of the Coast universes.
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:15 pm

BFenix wrote:Blizzard only released Starcraft in 1998.

Fix'd.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Keldoclock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:23 pm

You seem to be missing one of the main ethos of Brikwars- Physics and logic are warped to allow cool shit to happen.
My entire army is mounted on dirtbikes, because dirtbikes are fucking cool.
Also- Drop pods could be used in a stealthy fashion- Let's imagine you pilot some kind of badass troop transport spaceship. You uncloak or whatever and immediatly begin dropping pods, thus allowing your troops to hit the ground immediatly and also remove the need for a landing pad. Even better, just start dropping the damn things and don't uncloak. small 1-man pods will doubtlessly leave almost no radar signature.

I do roughly the same thing with my helicopters- instead of landing them, my soldiers rappel down and the aircraft proceeds to bomb/strafe the crap out of the enemy.

Stealth could mean sniping a man from a mile away. Stealth could also mean appearing out of nowhere and putting a gun to his head.

I'm a huge fan of the Halo series and I very much enjoyed ODST, but not to the exclusion of all else. Starcraft 2 is pretty sweet, as is WoW,the GTA series,L4D, Fallout, and all the other big-name games.

I use video games often as inspiration for my armies, because the spirit of many videogames lends itself naturally to fun conflicts- The boring parts of warfare(logistics, morality) are glossed over and one can enjoy beating the crap out of things.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtRFI0gNdCA
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

PreviousNext

Return to Bricks