Drop pod one man

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: fredde, Dr. X, ikensall

Postby aoffan23 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Keldoclock wrote:small 1-man pods will doubtlessly leave almost no radar signature.

You're not taking into account one very obvious thing: people have eyes.

As mentioned before, the trail of the pods burning through the atmosphere would give them away in no time. Also, are you forgetting the sound of them hitting the ground? Sure, they'd already have landed, but any forces not at the location will know something's up right away. Not to mention the sound of the pods falling, no matter how aerodynamic they are, if you're falling from that height and gaining momentum constantly, there's going to be a lot of air resistance, causing friction and sound.

Final verdict: drop pods =/= stealth.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby Gungnir » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:58 pm

The whole stealth thing is overrated. Just hit the enemy with the drop pods themselves.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby BFenix » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:21 pm

Keldoclock wrote:I'm a huge fan of the Halo series and I very much enjoyed ODST

I use video games often as inspiration for my armies, because the spirit of many videogames lends itself naturally to fun conflicts- The boring parts of warfare(logistics, morality) are glossed over and one can enjoy beating the crap out of things.

I was just seeing the game in a commercial point of view. And sure, VGs are just for that. Escaping reality, just like Brikwars. And don't mention simulators, their just that, not videogames...
I myself like the Halo saga very much, but I think It is about time Bungie makes something else. I just hope they don't fall of the rope when they leave the Halo development... besides, I think must people are barfing Halo now
Also, its normal to be inspirited by vgs. Must peoples armies here are.

Just like I said to Warhead, you want to make stealth one man drop pods? Go ahead!
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby BFenix » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:28 pm

aoffan23 wrote:
Keldoclock wrote:small 1-man pods will doubtlessly leave almost no radar signature.

You're not taking into account one very obvious thing: people have eyes.

As mentioned before, the trail of the pods burning through the atmosphere would give them away in no time. Also, are you forgetting the sound of them hitting the ground? Sure, they'd already have landed, but any forces not at the location will know something's up right away. Not to mention the sound of the pods falling, no matter how aerodynamic they are, if you're falling from that height and gaining momentum constantly, there's going to be a lot of air resistance, causing friction and sound.

Final verdict: drop pods =/= stealth.

True, grab a Stinger or some AA gun, make aim and BAM!

Why are we discussing this anyways? Gungnir said it all! Drop hard on them were ever you want, if they aint dead from the drop, gun/sword ´em down! Thats the point of drop pods, deploy your guys were you want!
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Cpl. Halan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:05 am

BFenix wrote: Gungnir said it all! Drop hard on them were ever you want, if they aint dead from the drop, gun/sword ´em down! Thats the point of drop pods, deploy your guys were you want!

Oh yeah, come in leaving a burning trail a mile long and just start shooting
Fire, Fire, burning bright
Burning down the house tonight

Heroism is not the ability to kick ass. It is the willingness to use this ability on any poor bastard who so much as looks at you funny.
Cpl. Halan
Dimmy

Postby BFenix » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Cpl. Halan wrote:
BFenix wrote: Gungnir said it all! Drop hard on them were ever you want, if they aint dead from the drop, gun/sword ´em down! Thats the point of drop pods, deploy your guys were you want!

Oh yeah, come in leaving a burning trail a mile long and just start shooting

I looks like I wasnt clear the first time. You don't shoot from the pod. You shoot if you don't kill your enemy with the drop... If I said the drop then that means your guys are already on the ground, read carefully before posting smartie-pants
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:00 pm

What kind of an Evuul Star Empire forgets to develop Flak/Point Defence and Surface to Air missiles, let alone a competent global skynet detection system (radar et all)? They even have this shit nowadays and we're only Industrial Aged not even a High Tech Space Faring Empire. There is cool fantasy and then their is lazy half assed hard to swallow fantasy. The difference lies in the attention to details, the description of events and it's credibility.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Ranger S2H » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:28 pm

isn't the point of a droppod to get the troops from the ship to the surface in mere seconds at breakneck speeds to be too fast for the AA to react?

I mean, you drop the pods all at the same time, they all hit the ground before enemy even knows there's trouble.

on another note, lets look at the problem in stead of the solution: how do you get your troops from low orbit to the surface without being seen, heard, or picked up by radar?
- I refuse to be stopped by something as irrelevant as logic, the laws of physics, or common sense -

if 20 chickens can fit in a brick, how many pingpongballs does a crocodile have to eat so it can swim faster than a washing machine?
Ranger S2H
Cannon Fodder

Location: deep in dimmy territory, fighting the hordes from the inside.

Postby Hoboman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:29 pm

Drop Pods are one of those SciFi things that I believe make for some great visuals but in the end just do not make sense. A Drop Ship makes more sense to me.
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
Hoboman
My Little Pony

Postby Ross_Varn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Ranger. Orbital reentry, event at high velocity, can take hours to complete. Plenty of time for flak bombardment to start up.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Warhead » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:04 pm

I'm no math wiz but pod to ground vs. speed of light laser?.. Ok, even when taking into account the time it takes for targeting. Also, point defence is made to kill incoming missiles that are at even greater speeds so not so hard a target really. You'll still lose a lot of pods.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Sloopofwar » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm

If your looking for cheap and easy drop pods, do what I have done. Just take the labels off these:
http://www.bricklink.com/OL/8130-1.jpg?0
You can easily fit a squad in them. 8)

{Crummy image isn't working, sorry.}
Sloopofwar
Cannon Fodder

Postby Warhead » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:31 pm

We used the Kinder Surprise Egg capsules

Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Gungnir » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:13 pm

Warhead wrote:We used the Kinder Surprise Egg capsules

Not a bad idea. I'm gonna remember that.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby pesgores » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:54 pm

No plushiness inside? The guy dies as soon as he hits the ground.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Bricks