Drop pod one man

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: fredde, Dr. X, ikensall

Postby Warhead » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:01 pm

fredde wrote:I never meant for it to be stealthy and im sure ecm and countermeausures could hold the missiles off while the ship drops the pod
and escapes

Maybe on a backward planet or one without any planet defences but one ship with it's entire resources of power to generate an ECM field and a finite number of countermeasures vs. a planet worth of resources (planet defences by their very nature would require to be global networks supporting each other) with enough power to burn through any ECM and enough missiles to make you cry with joy.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Gungnir » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:20 am

Are we discussing the real practicality of an actual drop pod? I thought this was the Brikwars forum.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby fredde » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:12 am

Maybe on a backward planet or one without any planet defences but one ship with it's entire resources of power to generate an ECM field and a finite number of countermeasures vs. a planet worth of resources (planet defences by their very nature would require to be global networks supporting each other) with enough power to burn through any ECM and enough missiles to make you cry with joy.

i get your point but.....meh send enough pods and one of them will get through thats what conscripts are for! also its not like the pods would all be full some could be decoys so the real pod could get through.
also i don't see these pods being used as a way to create beachheads on planets i see them being dropped on worlds that are already ravaged by war and those planets defenses wqould at least be damagedso the pods could get through.
Natalya wrote:Fredde, you don't win the internet with this.

You ARE the Internet.
fredde
Cannon Fodder

Postby Silent-sigfig » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:28 am

I see pods as being a cool way of getting cool troops to a battlefield.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:

Coolest 1000th post ever :D
Silent-sigfig
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby RoC77 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:51 am

Well... You could look at drop pods as modern day paratroopers. Both are obviously easy pickings for AA, you would need to lay some suppressing fire to take out any AA and hardened defenses, landing craft & drops ships carry enough troops for a beachhead. Pods would be used for a different role in an invasion, they would take positions like spaceports & bridges to soften the invasion. Or use guerilla tactics in the cities to slow down enemy organization & advancement, giving time for the main force to arrive.

Sounds like a good scenario for a game......
TROLOLO
RoC77
Playmobil

Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Postby Massam » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:05 pm

You can't really pull of stealth insertion with drop-pods. Now you might be able to have stealth bomber type dropships mingle with the rest of the invasion force, then have them veer off on their own stealth missions.

The other dropships would conceal their presence during entry, and the stealth would let them move through enemy airspace to drop the troops over key positions without leaving tell-tale smoketrails. Obvioulsy this would only be for highly trained spec-ops teams, but it might work.

Or you could just use the drop pods for reinforcement when the battle is already joined.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo
everyone> Image <massam
Massam
Galidor

Postby OREMAWESOME1234 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:21 pm

Massam wrote:
Or you could just use the drop pods for reinforcement when the battle is already joined.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo
Thats what I meant by we use them as reinforcements.
OREMAWESOME1234
Dimmy

Postby Warhead » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Gungnir wrote:Are we discussing the real practicality of an actual drop pod? I thought this was the Brikwars forum.

Yes, this is Brikwars but there is Pandoranuker style, I launch my stealth pods and take you by surprise, you have no chance, I win 00111010101010101010101010101! Fuckage and then there is...

I launch my saturation attack of missiles and drop pods against your emplaced defences while my main ground attack goes in, you must now split your fire. Prepare to be overwhelmed.

The difference between good novels, films, computer games and RPG is just a little thought. Not enough to kill the fun but not so little it makes it a n00b frenzy either.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Massam » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Come on Warhead, no acknowledgment of my idea at all?
everyone> Image <massam
Massam
Galidor

Postby Warhead » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:42 pm

What, isn't having your idea ripped by me not enough acknowledgement anymore, damn my finishing ZZD too soon! Please take it as tacit agreement on my part and have faith that others will notice you said it first. :D
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Keldoclock » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:44 pm

While not *quite* a drop pod, this serves the same purpose, and demonstrates how, despite flak and AA, a soldier may land his pod and deploy within seconds.

You really only have to watch the first minute or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOp_hdZs ... re=related
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Previous

Return to Bricks