Remodeled Lego Land is a Total Letdown

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, fredde

Remodeled Lego Land is a Total Letdown

Postby morganm » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Finally took my kids to MoA to see the newly remodeled Lego Land.... they should have just cleaned up the old stuff and left it alone!

The original store was a little crowded. Especially when long lines would jut out into the store. The large models were getting pretty dusty and faded. I could see why they wanted to remodel and I had hoped it was going to be better than ever.

The new one is even more cramped! The old one at least had many open or walls but the new one feels claustrophobic as it's completely sealed off. The lines still cause traffic jams so they didn't even address that issue. We could barely move around and were constantly bumping into piles of product or other people. You could tell the staff hated it as they tried to navigate through the store with armloads of boxes and grim looks on their faces.

There are no longer any large models at ground level. The only ones are now way up above and completely non-accessible. I loved how close some of the old models were. Kids would run up and point excitedly. People would get their pictures taken standing by them. You could touch them and really see them up close! The only models at ground level are these fucking ugly small dioramas in small boxes with tiny little windows to see in... not even neat ones made with sets and minifigs.... just shitty looking block crap that is completely unimpressive and a waste of space. I prefer how they used to setup multiple sets from one genre in a glass case which you could see from all angles. There aren't even half the amount of large models that they once had. I will say the new ones way up above the store are more detailed and do look impressive.

Now the play area has also been shafted. It used to be a wide open area with two race tracks. Kids would build things and often build stuff to race. The tracks are gone and the space is reduced to about half what it was. Keeping with their new cramped and shitty theme they enclosed it with large, padded, bench seating so there is only 2 ways in/out. The Lego tables are much closer together and the whole place is just cramped with kids and parents. While the seating is nice (where as before you had to stand around while the kids played) I would trade them back for the race tracks and more room.

They have setup some computer terminals to play Lego games. There was some room with glass walls and more computer terminals but it was all turned off. I don't know what it's all about but. I'd trade all that shit in for some more space, race tracks, and more awesome models on the ground level. It just seems to me they didn't address any of the issues the old store had and ultimately made it worse.

I used to enjoy going down there. Actually preferred buying things there vs. online. Now I really don't look forward having to go there and pick something up. Certainly will avoid any busy days because it's just way too cramped.
morganm
Dimmy

Postby Robot Monkey » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm

You forgot to add [/rant]

But anyway, the new LegoLand sounds like it sucks.
Luckily I went there when I was little and got to see all of the epic models and stuff.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby piltogg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:33 pm

yeah, I waited like an hour to go in on the opening day.

I didn't think it was all that bad though. Definitely crowded, but the same is true of any lego store, so whatever. I liked that they massively expanded the size of the pick-a-brick wall though. Which is the only reason I would go there anyway.
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby morganm » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:47 pm

True; the selection of the Prick a Brick was tripled.... but the selection still sucks. Most of them are 2x4 bricks. There's maybe 5 things I'd get from there. Wish they had more stuff like you see in the online Pick a Brick and less bricks/plates that can be easily obtained in bulk.
morganm
Dimmy

Postby Warhead » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:51 pm

morganm wrote:True; the selection of the Prick a Brick was tripled.... but the selection still sucks. Most of them are 2x4 bricks. There's maybe 5 things I'd get from there. Wish they had more stuff like you see in the online Pick a Brick and less bricks/plates that can be easily obtained in bulk.

You have issues, welcome! :D
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Return to Bricks