The Bricklink Challenge - Discussion Thread

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: fredde, Dr. X, ikensall

The Bricklink Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby Olothontor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:35 am

Ever wanted to see a particular piece, set of pieces, color, or specific greeble system used in a Microscale MOC? Any parts you want to see used again, or in a different way than they're normally used? Here's your chance for all of that.

The deal is thus: you guys collaboratively assemble a list of parts for the contestant to order from Bricklink, based on the budget that the contestant proposes. The contestant MUST use the parts from the order to make a single MOC in the theme/type that they've chosen beforehand (I'll take a moment here to suggest that the contestant also set aside a smaller budget of $2-5 in order to cover any parts NOT listed, but still necessary to the construction of the MOC).

I'm going to put myself out there as Contestant #1 and make a new thread for my entry. This thread, here, is for general challenge discussion, previews, questions, and (eventually) community judging of the entrants, if we feel like making it a competition. To be honest that's not my goal, but it's not really a bad thing if that's what it ends up coming down to.

When making a Challenge Contestant Thread, be sure to:
    -=*=- Put your username and the name of the Challenge in the topic title. (like so: "The Bricklink Microspace Challenge - Olothontor's Entry")
    -=*=- List how much money you're putting in the order budget, so that contributors to the parts list know your limit and can stop once they've reached it.
    -=*=- List your secondary set-aside budget, if it exists.
    -=*=- List a theme or type of MOC, if you've got one in mind. If not, be sure to say so in the thread.
    -=*=- List the current parts list and the current budget(s) in your OP, so that both you and your contributors always know.

Most importantly: if you're not having fun with this, something's wrong!

To sum up: Contestant proposes primary budget and secondary budget, along with a MOC theme or archetype. Contributors propose parts until they've reached the primary budget. Contributors and Contestant whittle down the parts and resolve debates over contesting parts in the list (without flaming or similar nonsense). Contestant makes the order, then assembles it in whatever way he/she sees fit, keeping in mind his or her theme. Contestant posts pics of the final product!

Contestants may of course post WIP pictures to get help and advice, or just to show off.

Contributors should be sure to post pictures of the parts they're referencing, otherwise the Contestant may not know what part you're talking about!

Current Entrants wrote:-=Olothontor=-
Last edited by Olothontor on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby BFenix » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:09 pm

I like the idea but how about a part limit rather than budget, for the sake of our wallets, this would also make contestants t get creative with whatever pieces they have been limited
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Olothontor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm afraid I don't understand. The budget IS the part limit.

Anyway... you can make adjustments to these rules, just make sure you make that clear in your thread when you post it, so everyone interested in contributing to the list knows.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Return to Bricks