Assyrian Prison Hover Train

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: fredde, Dr. X, ikensall

Assyrian Prison Hover Train

Postby dilanski » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Note that this creation was done without any kind of permission. Consider it Non-Canon to all other Assyrian vehicles/story. (Unless Natalya puts her SoA on this)

Hover Trains are commonly used by the Assyrian Empire for various purposes from bulk transport to mobile weapons platforms. This hover train has actually been outfitted to serve on one of the extremely rare military run Assyrian prisons. While normally individual worlds deal with prisoners, there are times when criminals are too dangerous to be handled normally, or prisoners are political.

The train is about 95 studs long, almost ship worthy, it features 3 cars, each with it's own skimmer plate, they are pulled by the first car which uses two large ducted jet engines two pull the train.

The main car features an outside viewing platform for the crew, this train is only meant for shuttling priority prisoners from the landing zone to processing, the trip only takes 5 hours and as such has a relatively small crew environment.

It was a pain trying to find places to put dark red without it seeming too obvious. I think this works fine though.

The cockpit. try figuring out what piece I used to get it sloped perfectly to the wall.

The second car is the prison car. I decided to continue the first cars 'open' planned style.

The inside has 4 stasis pods for important/dangerous prisoners, where maximum security is required.

The final car is for prison supplies, seeing as this train can only transport 4 prisoners a trip. it is relatively empty at the moment but can easily be filled with months worth of supplies. also there is the gun...

Probably my best turret, it has the ability to go up and down allowing it to hit air and ground targets. also equipped are two gas propelled mines to stop tail-gaters :D.

It was a pain getting this flush.

In order to get up and down motion I had to use this piece which as you probably guessed is not LEGO, It's Mega-Bloks. Sorry.

Anyway that is the completed train, I hope Natalya doesn't hate it. Any constructive comments are welcome.
ImageImageImage
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby Magic Soap » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:04 pm

:boxy:
Magic Soap
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Ben-Jammin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:33 pm

I think its pretty decent, and I see nothing wrong with its boxiness. I've always wanted to make a hovertrain myself, ever since playing on that one level from Jedi Academy.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby Pwnerade » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Trains are :boxy:, so whatever. That's a very nice turret. Finding pictures of real-life armored trains might be a good source of inspiration.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.
Pwnerade
Playmobil

Postby Theblackdog » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Agreed... much easier to make prison space stations, they're virtually impossible to escape from without spacesuits and a ship. You wouldn't even need guards if you designed it right.

The train is great, though. Love the turret and the first car.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby OneEye589 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:22 pm

What you need to do is drop the criminals onto the planet and let them fend for themselves. Don't give them any technology, just drop them all on a planet that is habitable. Without any technology, they can't get off unless they mine and refine all the materials, which is highly unlikely.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Gungnir » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:09 pm

I'd have used a ball-and-socket joint on the turret.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby Cakeman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:50 am

The first hovertrain I see here anyway, fun model. Very nice turret! Did you build this planning to use it as terrain for a small forum battle? A few commandos controlled by different players, choice of a little special equipment like claymores or some ability to kit up your character, then viscious infighting as the winner is the one who first releases the prisoners. Fighting in the cars, running on the roof etc. I think this train has a lot of playability ;)
Cakeman
Minifig

Postby dilanski » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:19 am

Cakeman wrote:The first hovertrain I see here anyway, fun model. Very nice turret! Did you build this planning to use it as terrain for a small forum battle? A few commandos controlled by different players, choice of a little special equipment like claymores or some ability to kit up your character, then viscious infighting as the winner is the one who first releases the prisoners. Fighting in the cars, running on the roof etc. I think this train has a lot of playability ;)

Originally designed this for a non-forum PARV style game.

@Ben-Jammin, Inspired by Star Wars rogue squadron and the mission on kessel.
ImageImageImage
dilanski

Postby Theblackdog » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:14 am

Gungnir wrote:I'd have used a ball-and-socket joint on the turret.

I think he could have used a hinge brick and gotten about the same result. There's no need to resort to megabloks here.

@OneEye: habitable planets are prime real estate... are you really gonna waste one of them just to store your criminals?

As for the Brikwars train battle, that's a pretty good idea. Not sure the train could support enough factions for an all out forum battle, though. Maybe if you limited it to 1-2 minifigs per player...
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Ben-Jammin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:45 am

-Dilanski:

Ah, I see. That was my second guess; I still remember the Rogue Squadron games. My fav was either the Mon Calamari mission or the "Escape from Fest" or whatever its called.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby dilanski » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:44 am

Theblackdog wrote:

I think he could have used a hinge brick and gotten about the same result. There's no need to resort to megabloks here.

@OneEye: habitable planets are prime real estate... are you really gonna waste one of them just to store your criminals?

I wouldn't have gotten both up and down motion with a hinge brick. Also I'd guess they would use planets with kinks in for prisons, slightly toxic atmosphere, insanely high/low temperatures, high radiation levels etc.
ImageImageImage
dilanski

Postby Gungnir » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Theblackdog wrote:

What? No.
Lego makes ball-and-socket joints too.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby dilanski » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Gungnir wrote:
Theblackdog wrote:

What? No.
Lego makes ball-and-socket joints too.

I'd either not get the full movement or it would be too high off the ground.
ImageImageImage
dilanski

Postby OneEye589 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Theblackdog wrote:@OneEye: habitable planets are prime real estate... are you really gonna waste one of them just to store your criminals?

It depends. Some sci-fi thingies have machines to refine the atmosphere. Also, I would much rather be able to place all criminals from across 50 planets onto one other planet without a way off.

It probably wouldn't work anyway, as there would always be secret organizations going to said planet and taking people off, which defeats the purpose.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Next

Return to Bricks