Grunt Class Hardsuit G1...or Berta

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, fredde

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:43 pm

or bertha.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby MicVash » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:32 am

Grunt-139 wrote:Thanks a lot for the advice, yeah thats what I was trying to do but I have trouble thinking of and picturing a lego/arm design that is common for Hardsuits, by common I mean how people normally make them. THanks I'm going to try again but I don't have that much stuff left the mech kinda took most of the good peices for it.

It would be worth it to destroy the mech and start all over. I know you can do much better. But really I think you're too worried about trying to make your model sturdy that you use too many bricks and too many pieces. You need to use fewer "brick" pieces in your hardsuit and it's okay if something is just 1x1 stud wide. It's okay. It's easier to add more if you find it too unstable than to try and take parts away. As for an arm design -- simplicity. It's the all about the legs on the hardsuit first, then the arms. Afterall, the thing has to stand and pose first. On your mech there are waayyyy too many joints because of all those droid pieces. Let's take a look at the most simplicist humanoid arm design -- the minifig. Yes, that's right, afterall, a hardsuit is trying to enhance the human capabilities of a minifig. A minifig only has one joint in the arm, it goes up and it goes down. You could simply just do that. If you want something more complicated then add two joints. One to move the arm at the shoulder and one to move the arm at the elbow. That's all you pretty much need.
MicVash
Officer

Postby Grunt-139 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:37 am

MicVash wrote:
Grunt-139 wrote:Thanks a lot for the advice, yeah thats what I was trying to do but I have trouble thinking of and picturing a lego/arm design that is common for Hardsuits, by common I mean how people normally make them. THanks I'm going to try again but I don't have that much stuff left the mech kinda took most of the good peices for it.

It would be worth it to destroy the mech and start all over. I know you can do much better. But really I think you're too worried about trying to make your model sturdy that you use too many bricks and too many pieces. You need to use fewer "brick" pieces in your hardsuit and it's okay if something is just 1x1 stud wide. It's okay. It's easier to add more if you find it too unstable than to try and take parts away. As for an arm design -- simplicity. It's the all about the legs on the hardsuit first, then the arms. Afterall, the thing has to stand and pose first. On your mech there are waayyyy too many joints because of all those droid pieces. Let's take a look at the most simplicist humanoid arm design -- the minifig. Yes, that's right, afterall, a hardsuit is trying to enhance the human capabilities of a minifig. A minifig only has one joint in the arm, it goes up and it goes down. You could simply just do that. If you want something more complicated then add two joints. One to move the arm at the shoulder and one to move the arm at the elbow. That's all you pretty much need.

Yeah I just want it to be able to be used in Brikwars and not fall down and all that, yeah ill probably try that. Thanks a lot.
-Grunt-139
"If you can't walk, you crawl, and if you can't do that then you find someone to carry you"
-Firefly, The Message

http://brikwars.wikispaces.com/

So long and thanks for all the fish
TROLOLO
Grunt-139
Hero

Postby domo-kun » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:56 pm

i think i prefer the lego exoforce drone's arms as fingers more than droid arms.
domo-kun
Champion

Previous

Return to Bricks