Hardsuit Warehouse

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, fredde

Hardsuit Warehouse

Postby MicVash » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:35 pm

Well recently there seems to be quite the discussion and inspiration to build HARDSUITS! Since Hardsuits can be a bit tricky to build, I'd figure it'd be easier for users to view sample works and other people's ideas in one simple thread. Here we could show off our new designs (Please resize your pics in advance), post feedback, share ideas and techniques, most definitely stats, and heck, maybe we could even come up with our own basic frame. In fact, I'm off to the lab to invent my newest creation! :twisted:
MicVash
Officer

Postby Blitzen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:28 pm

And I'll prepare to mooch.

Hey, everybody wins!
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Postby Erasmas » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:28 am

MicVash, is there any chance that you could post building instructions on some of your works?

I know that it's probably a huge pain in the rump, but I for one would hugely appreciate the tutelage.
I am the Pantless Wonder!
TROLOLO
Erasmas
Hero

Postby MicVash » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:34 pm

Erasmas wrote:MicVash, is there any chance that you could post building instructions on some of your works?

I know that it's probably a huge pain in the rump, but I for one would hugely appreciate the tutelage.

I will not post instructions on any of my past works (Basically all the Clan Morrigan units), but I just finished this new hardsuit and will post instructions for you all this weekend.
MicVash
Officer

Postby Erasmas » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:41 pm

That works for me. I didn't mean anything specific... I just have no clue how to even start building the frameworks of one of those suits. I figured if I could see how you did one, then I could probably branch out on my own from that point!

So thank you, in advance.
I am the Pantless Wonder!
TROLOLO
Erasmas
Hero

DREADNAUGHT HARDSUIT

Postby MicVash » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:00 pm

The latest in Clan Morrigan technology, however, this unit schematics will be revealed and released to provide support for neighboring factions. Note that this model is only a prototype and may undergo improvements in mass production. This unit will be mass produced but in various colors and styles. The current model you see here is dubbed "Panzer" named after the German Tank.

A basic shot from the front for starters. When building this hardsuit I focused first on building the legs because after all, the unit has to stand. The legs are bit more posable than what the appear and use three joints -- one at the ankle, one at the knee, and one at the hip that moves out and in. To give this guy some beef I created the chest and belly armor you see and added details such as controls, support gun, flood light, and targeting sensors (binoculars).

Yes he looks chubby but remember he's named after a tank, so I just went with it. It was also kind of necessary because fitting a minifig inside a suit is just a pain. In the construction though, build the legs then try to fuse it with the "cockpit" area. Worry about the arms last. A note about the arms though, they may seem oversized but I thought it was appropriate cause this guy ain't gonna move fast anyway and they also help greatly with balancing him out.

The weaponry. The shoulders each hold two high powered grenade launchers with targeting sensors and the arms each carry heavy machine guns.

A view from the side. To hold the minifig I basically made a box around him. He's actually not connected to anything at all, he's just sitting on top of the legs and is held tight in there so he won't fall out or jiggle around.

From the back. Nothing too special. I'll note the arms though. They feature three joints just like the legs. One at the shoulder to move up and down. One at the bicep area to move in and out, and the last at the forearm to bend the arm up.

CHARGE! Just a shot to prove the posability. Yes this model is not only articulate but very sturdy as well. Not just in appearance but actual playability.

TO VICTORY! More poseability.

Come get some... I'll post instructions later. I won't show you how to do it like a LEGO instruction book, piece by piece. But I'll exlpode the guy so you can figure it out.

Enjoy!
MicVash
Officer

Postby Theblackdog » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:47 pm

Whoa, that's cool. I like the shoulder-mounted weapons best.
Here's my first hardsuit. I have another, better one, but it hasn't been photographed yet and its weapons kind of suck. There's nothing wrong with the design, but when I built it I hadn't really developed the inventory necessary to color-coordinate it. As a result:
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/32540
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.
Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby The Wizard » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Micvash, all your work is amazing.
A Wizard is never late. Nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

Visit my tower!
The Wizard
Hero

Postby Tiny Tank Rannon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:22 pm

I once tried to build a hardsuit, but then it turned into just another mech.

Then I tried building an elephant in a hardsuit, but it turned out more like a cyborg elephant. Which can destroy any of my mechs with one or so charges.

EDIT: make that a 7" cyborg elephant with two size 3 cannons on it's back, size 5 trunk that attacks twice and with a howda full of storm troopers. Not to mention it's kill everything potential.
Tiny Tank Rannon
Cannon Fodder

Postby domo-kun » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:42 pm

from one point of view, you hardsuit looks fat but if you look at it a different way, it looks like a cyclops. anyway, nice work!
domo-kun
Champion

Postby MicVash » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:56 pm

Thanks for the comments you guys. We need some more attempts at hardsuit building here!

Theblackdog: I like the railgun and optical sensors best on your MOC. But yes, as you mentioned it's got a really haphazard colorscheme which takes away the form of the suit.

Tiny Tank: This is part of the reason I'm putting this topic together, so we can all help each other out in building hardsuits. That way we can not only have infantry, but super powered infantry. Take some time to read the comments I left about my own recent hardsuit.
MicVash
Officer

Postby Bonn-o-Tron » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:01 am

I'm intrigued by these hardsuits, I may try my luck at one tomorrow.
Also, where are all those dark green pieces from, MicVash? I figure you get them off of Bricklink, but I don't recall many sets with pieces that colour.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:
Bonn-o-Tron
Playmobil

Postby MicVash » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:07 am

Bonn-o-Tron wrote:I'm intrigued by these hardsuits, I may try my luck at one tomorrow.
Also, where are all those dark green pieces from, MicVash? I figure you get them off of Bricklink, but I don't recall many sets with pieces that colour.

Excellent!

Lol, I'm not exactly sure what sets they are from. I know the dark green helmet is from one of the newer Knights but the Indiana Jones sets have lots of dark green plates in them but I don't have any of those pieces. I just bought as much dark green smooth plate and cheese slopes as I could off Bricklink because of Clan Morrigan which only uses Black and Dark Green. (Yeah, I'm a nut about color scheme.) To make my models look like they're green I build almost all the components in black, and then on the surface where I want to cover studs I put dark green. It's about color accents. Only color what you can see.
MicVash
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:51 am

MicVash wrote:Theblackdog: I like the railgun and optical sensors best on your MOC. But yes, as you mentioned it's got a really haphazard colorscheme which takes away the form of the suit.

Actually, i really like the haphazard scheme. it looks very slapped together - like whoever built this didn't have much, but enough of something to defend it.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby MicVash » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:29 am

IVhorseman wrote:Actually, i really like the haphazard scheme. it looks very slapped together - like whoever built this didn't have much, but enough of something to defend it.

And even "slapped together" models can have a color scheme!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shadowviking/2317017580/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shadowviking/2316209469/in/photostream/
MicVash
Officer

Next

Return to Bricks