Set Reviews

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: ikensall, fredde, Dr. X

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:09 pm

well mathematically, you could say that since the trolls are not taking any other action than running on the movement phase, they'd be sprinting, which would end up being 5+(2d6/2)" of movement, which averages to 9". bump that to either 8 or 10 and you're set.

in a related note, i see why people whined about how the trolls seemed more like orcs. trolls in recent media, according to movies like harry potter and lord of the rings, and of course Dungeons and Dragons, have been portrayed as huge, lumbering beasts that exist for the sole purpose of smashing things. trolls in european tradition however, can range in size from 3 feet tall to the tolkenian beasts we see today.

also piltogg, i agree about the unrealism. trolls definitely don't exist.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby jophfy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:05 pm

IVhorseman wrote:also piltogg, i agree about the unrealism. trolls definitely don't exist.

Nether do Clone Troopers or many other things that make BrikWars fun.
TROLOLO
jophfy
Officer

Postby piltogg » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:24 pm

IVhorseman wrote:well mathematically, you could say that since the trolls are not taking any other action than running on the movement phase, they'd be sprinting, which would end up being 5+(2d6/2)" of movement, which averages to 9". bump that to either 8 or 10 and you're set.

in a related note, i see why people whined about how the trolls seemed more like orcs. trolls in recent media, according to movies like harry potter and lord of the rings, and of course Dungeons and Dragons, have been portrayed as huge, lumbering beasts that exist for the sole purpose of smashing things. trolls in european tradition however, can range in size from 3 feet tall to the tolkenian beasts we see today.

also piltogg, i agree about the unrealism. trolls definitely don't exist.

well yah, I meant that running on top of the wheels to power a hudge siege wheel that moves would likely result in the "trolls" falling off or being shot down by arrows
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Bonn-o-Tron » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Hot damn! A giant rolling wheel of death!
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:
Bonn-o-Tron
Playmobil

Postby Carrnevil9 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:07 pm

piltogg wrote:well yah, I meant that running on top of the wheels to power a hudge siege wheel that moves would likely result in the "trolls" falling off or being shot down by arrows

But that's exactly what makes this whole new troll faction so fun. They remind me of the best of the Magic CCG goblins and Warhammer orcs. It's the every-device-is-a-crude-prototype, the held-together-by-duct-tape-and-spit, the why-didn't-we-think-to-invent-brakes-on-this-thing-again-ness that makes them so likable. It WILL be made of wood and there WILL be spikes on it! Did they stop to think they would be running on the spikes? No! That's what's so great about the trolls! The Tim 'the Toolman' Taylor "Needs More Power" manliness.

It's like what you do to the English language, but awesome.
Brawl Friend Code: 14MN0-TY0URF-R13ND

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS
Carrnevil9
Officer

Postby Carda » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:13 am

My name is Carda and I endorse the above post.
Bravo 13th: A Lego webcomic

http://lessthan3.netraptor.org/bravo13th/
Carda
Officer

Postby Carrnevil9 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:10 pm

Star Wars: Force Unleashed: Rogue Shadow

Mechanical Statistics-

Approx. 12" from stern to engine, 12" from Wingtip to wingtip
Armaments: pissed off Dark Jedi wannabe, 2x red lightsaber, 2x laser rifle, 2x red missile, spring loaded missile

Construction Quality-

The Rogue Shadow is largely technic beam construction, and as such is quite sturdy. It contains a well concealed and easily fired spring missile, several lifting panels that also conceal weaponry, and a rotating engine/wings. Unfortunately, this set does earn itself a few negative points for not ensuring there is room for the apprentice to sit and not including the apprentice's robotic assistant, PROXY. Most $50 sets have more than 3 figures in them.

Minifig Count/Quality-

3 minifigs: Juno Eclipse, Battle Damaged Darth Vader, Vader's Apprentice. Here is another area that I have issues with. They give us a ponytail for Juno, A helmet for Vader, but Vader is cape-less (and apperently half naked). Seems a bit of an oversight to me. Of special note to anyone who cares: Vader's damaged helmet is a black Aquazone visor. Creative.

Unique Pieces-

Sadly, the set falls short here. While the canopy bubble has new printing on it (yay for not making round stickers yet!) and all three minifig chest printings are new, I cannot find a single part I didn't already have.

Piece Count- 482, 480 I find useful.

Value-

This is a good set, and the scale on it is decent too. However, this is a set based on a video game that hasn't been released yet. It'd be nice if lego went ahead and did the Outrider, or a Tie Defender, or any number of Shadows of the Empire ships. Nevertheless, it's good to have more than 4 Tie variants and an ISD on call to fight the rebels. I rank it about where I rank the Slave 1: great minifigs, weird ship. It retails for $50.

Anything else you deem important-

This set contains the same 3 stickers as the Imperial Dropship does. Given my scant knowledge of Lego Company operating procedures, I would venture that this is to cut costs. It wastes 2 stickers, but no new printing is needed. It is in this light that I would like to point out that the Rebel Speeder came with 2x as many stickers as needed and I would not be entirely shocked to see another rebel set this year that uses all of them.

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS
Carrnevil9
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:33 pm

we can has pictures of naked vader and a better one of the ship? it looks nice, but from this angle/amount of stuff going on at the same time, it's hard to actually make out what this ship looks like.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Carrnevil9 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:20 pm

Alright, see if you can guess which one is which:

Carrnevil9
Officer

Postby Tuefish » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:52 pm

At Target the other day, I picked up Crossbow attack from the new castle theme.

Mechanical Statistics:
The crossbow cart measures 10 studs long by 8 studs wide, it fires a little technic rod with a ball on the end.

Construction Quality:
The little crossbow cart in this set hardly deserves mentioning, however; it is fairly sturdy, except for the front where the crossbows attach.

Minifig Count/Quality:
This set comes with two guardsmen/knights and one skeleton, and a skeletal horse, which I was disappointed to find didn't have any moving parts. And it only comes with one weapon, so one of the guards has only the cart to defend himself with.

Unique Pieces:
absolutely none, but it did come with my favorite style of helmet, in silver!

Piece Count:

Value:
for five bucks, I'd rate it's value at pretty good.

Anything else you deem important:
nothing I can think of now.

also, I turned the weaponless minifig int a hero with a cape, a sword and a buckler, I call him Arstan the hedge knight.
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back." -Malcolm Reynolds
TROLOLO
Tuefish
Dimmy

Postby james+burgundy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:01 am

Did PROXY come with the set if so can you but a Pic of him up?
james+burgundy
Pooplord

Postby james+burgundy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:03 am

Man nice clones/storms it look like we could have a go at it how many do you have i got 24 white and 7 darks ?
james+burgundy
Pooplord

Postby Carrnevil9 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:33 pm

Only 3 black hole troopers, 4 pilots, and 21 troopers of various occupation. 4 Imperial guards. 2 Officers, one grey shirted, one black. AT-ST pilot. 20 clones. I've also got 2 Ewoks because it seems "An entire legion of my (Emperor's) best troops" can't kill a village of teddy bears.

Carrnevil9
Officer

Postby james+burgundy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:47 pm

I used to make movies with a killer e-walk killing ever body one about 7 sec each but fun.
james+burgundy
Pooplord

Postby Carda » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:16 pm

I've been working on a modification of the crossbow attack set that is a semi-automatic, gravity-loading, clip-fed cannon. I should mount it on a tank chassis for a prototype to get some pictures...

edit: Also, I'm looking at getting a couple of the Speed Racer sets this week, so I'll try to get a review together for those once I get them.
Last edited by Carda on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bravo 13th: A Lego webcomic

http://lessthan3.netraptor.org/bravo13th/
Carda
Officer

PreviousNext

Return to Bricks