Set Reviews

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: ikensall, fredde, Dr. X

Postby Carrnevil9 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:52 pm

As I am not afraid of a little clutter (room I type this from being proof), I will continue to use this set review thread.

Gentlemen, BEHOLD!
(Oh, and Blitzen)
Or rather, attempt to behold and squint at the intended picture through a clutter of MOCs. Self-edifying pig, it's a wonder he bothers putting actual set in there at all...

In an effort to make my pictures as blurry as possible, yet very figure intensive, I include the following for your viewing pleasure:

Beach House

Mechanical Statistics- As this set contains 3 different instructions, I will be using the house featured prominently on the cover. This house is two stores tall, and comfortably fits several minifigures. Also of special note is the grill which I have seen fit to secure to the house by means or a 1x1 grip plate.

Construction Quality- Alarmingly good. Living in Minnesota, I can tell you exactly what a beach house looks like... erm, rather, I have a faint idea of what one looks like. I don't think lake beaches are where a house like this would go. Actually, I'd really like to see a fjord house. Because fjords are awesome. Where was I? Oh, yes. Beach house. I'd suggest against using this house as cover; there isn't a section of it without a snipe-free window. The entire thing is a soldier deathtrap.

Minifig Count/Quality- Sadly, the house comes with no minifigs of any sort, and yet contains a leg of meat, two cups, and mail. Rather unnerving if you consider the ramifications of a tenant-less house.

Unique Pieces- Several windows I did not have before, and a white 'umbrella.' As odd as this may sound, the fact that is is actually made of bricks is something I'd consider a strength of this set. It's nice to see Lego does use bricks for more than life sized models.

Piece Count- 522, largely smaller plates and 'flowers.'

Value- This set easily pays for itself at $30. It's unique looking, yet somewhat realistic looking.

Anything else you deem important- I find it rather alarming that upon thinking deeply, This is simply a doll house. That's right, I said it. I'm now entirely obsessed with buying doll houses. I can't tell you why, there's no hidden missiles, trapdoors, or neon yellow/green antenna. Alarming indeed.
Brawl Friend Code: 14MN0-TY0URF-R13ND

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS
Carrnevil9
Officer

Postby Carrnevil9 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:19 pm

Went to the Mall of America today. Long story short, Image
Count on actual reviews soon.

Longer story: Somebody walked off with Town Plan as I found it, and made my life much simpler. Green Grocer just doesn't mean as much when you can't stack it next to another town set, so...

(UPDATE)

Finished the Sandcrawler at about 5-6 AM. Such a strain. First set that's gone from joy to obligation to duty. And I was seriously considering sleeping before finishing it.
Brawl Friend Code: 14MN0-TY0URF-R13ND

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS
Carrnevil9
Officer

Previous

Return to Bricks