My all new B-3E Bomber! *applause*

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: fredde, Dr. X, ikensall

My all new B-3E Bomber! *applause*

Postby Dr. X » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:05 pm

I built this a week or two ago, on a whim. I started out knowing I wanted to make a ship with a bombing mechanism. And I succeeded.

*Note: I apologize for the poor picture backround. I wasn't thinking of posting when I took these pictures*

The plane has 2 pilots, 1 a gunner/bomber and one the pilot. It can carry large loads with the 3 hardpoints on each wing, and is armed with (you guessed, it, .70 caliber!) cannons on the port side, and an ECM pod on the starboard. (Yes, I got the pod from a mega-block set. It's awesome.)

Yes, the nose can open! The pilots each have a weapon in case of bailing or crash landing or whatnot. I incorporated this feature when I saw some hinge pieces in my grey box, so I thought, "hey, why don't I use those on the nose of my plane?" So I did.

Behold, the bomb bay! The top of the aircraft is hinged so you can put bombs in the bay. It has an amazing capacity of 20 Mk1 bombs! But that's not all...

Comin' at ya.

A close-up on the port wing, showing the twin .70 cal cannons, an Mk3 missile (I use a convoluted explosive system, don't ask.), and a heat-seeking AAM pod.

The bottom.

*GASPETH* The bomb bay opens!!

Now you just pull this lever here, and all the 20 bombs pour out of the bay. It's quite a smooth system, too. They would be in your face right now if the plane wasn't upside down at the moment.

That's all, folks!

Be sure to not miss our next installment, the SR-X9 recon plane! Coming soon to a subforum near you.

--Dr. X
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:47 pm

ooh, i really like that nose-hinge system. i've never even thought of that!
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Bonn-o-Tron » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:59 pm

Awesome. For some reason, I really like that green bomb.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:
Bonn-o-Tron
Playmobil

Postby ace121 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:58 am

That is sweet! Hardly blocky at all, and that nose storage system is ingenious! The payload is also very impressive; 20 MK1 bombs and a decent amount of missiles is more than most vehicles pack (unless you're a pyromaniac :twisted: ). However I will deduct 1/4 point for the inclusion of that single megablox piece, because I'm a purist and a jerk. 9.75/10

Can't wait to see the recon plane.

"I am Aceman, bringer of quote"
ace121
Cannon Fodder

Postby pesgores » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:44 am

That's a great one, man! Great, great, great. I want it. The blockiness doesn't matter, the rest is quite well done. 9/10
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Theblackdog » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:22 am

It's got a great realistic look to it, and the underwing weaponry is awesome. I've long wanted to do a (bigger) flyer supplement with stats for things like bombs, cluster weapons and guided missiles.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Rody » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:01 am

nice job man, although I do find the hull to look slightly boring and featureless.
still nice how you implemented all of that inside it.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby kidko » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:39 am

That was really nice. It almost looks good enough to come in a box with instructions... I also love the bomb bay: hooray for little bombs blowing people up from above!
kidko
Officer

Postby Dr. X » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:39 am

Thanks guys!

And yeah, the hull is a bit blocky, but it'd rounded on the top and bottom and tapers toward the front, so when you actually hold it it seems pretty realistic.

And I couldn't resist using the Mega-Blok piece, because it is modeled after a real type of ECM jammer pod. (UEIG-24 or something, I forget)

And you have a case of spontaneous bomb love, Bonn-o-Tron. Don't worry, it is completely harmless and happens to everyone. I've got it a few times when cruising around the Shelf.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby ace121 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:09 pm

I'm not so sure how harmless bomb love is to those a mile below the afflicted ;)

"I am Aceman, bringer of quote"
ace121
Cannon Fodder

Postby piltogg » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:27 pm

*mouth drops to floor* the plane itself is fairly good but the bomb thing is the bomb. :D :D
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Dr. X » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Theblackdog wrote:It's got a great realistic look to it, and the underwing weaponry is awesome. I've long wanted to do a (bigger) flyer supplement with stats for things like bombs, cluster weapons and guided missiles.

Actually, me and my brother made up a variation of Brikwars but it's for air combat and it's called Shipwars (it can be integrated into Brikwars too). It's got a lot of the same things, but different in-depth rules for guided missiles (hint: they have their own skill depending on Mk level, and it's up to the pilot's skill to avoid them) and other things like different stat cards and special moves for each vehicle. I might post more about it later.

And yeah piltogg, the bomb thing is leik teh bomb. When you open the bomb bay and pull the lever, a stream of bombs literally drops out.
Dr. X
Galidor

Return to Bricks