BrickArms 2011: M1919, HAC, ARC, and M3 Grease Gun

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Swordsalmon
Nice TRIPS

Post by Swordsalmon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Ranger S2H wrote:@swordsalmon: out of curiosity: why should one never carry an M16 by the carrying handle?
During prolonged firing, the heat from the rifle can affect the carrying handle and cause serious burns to your hands. I've actually (stupidly) gripped the barrel of my M16 during training after only forty shots, and it burns. Now in actual combat, you can imagine the type of damage gripping the carrying handle could do.
Keldoclock wrote:Swordsalmon: Argues about the price of bits of plastic, yet happily forks over $1 for a quarter-sized bit of plastic that does nothing but look cool.

Ranger S2H
Minifig
Location: deep in dimmy territory, fighting the hordes from the inside.

Post by Ranger S2H » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:55 am

nasty

design fail
- I refuse to be stopped by something as irrelevant as logic, the laws of physics, or common sense -

if 20 chickens can fit in a brick, how many pingpongballs does a crocodile have to eat so it can swim faster than a washing machine?

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:13 am

Ranger S2H wrote:nasty

design fail
Not really- any weapon that has bullets flying through at the speed of sound in great succession would heat up aswell. AKs heat up, and even modern machine guns need their barrels changed.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Thusly, the appeal of both coilguns and chainguns.

Also, sweet sound effects.
Pcheeeeew-PEW!
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!

Much better than the average BANG!
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:20 pm

H&K 416 doesn't heat much, according to history channel. Don't quote me on that though.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:39 pm

mgb519 wrote:H&K 416 doesn't heat much, according to history channel. Don't quote me on that though.
Okay, I won't.

Oh, wait.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:37 pm

aoffan23 wrote:
mgb519 wrote:H&K 416 doesn't heat much, according to history channel. Don't quote me on that though.
Okay, I won't.

Oh, wait.
:owned:
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

Swordsalmon
Nice TRIPS

Post by Swordsalmon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:32 pm

Ranger S2H wrote:nasty

design fail
Even if it didn't have the problem with overheating, you'd still not want to carry the M16 by the carrying handle. If you're not in combat, you don't point the barrel at anyone, and you look so much more badass slinging it on your back anyways. Doubly so when you sling two at once and cross them in an 'X'. ^_^
Keldoclock wrote:Swordsalmon: Argues about the price of bits of plastic, yet happily forks over $1 for a quarter-sized bit of plastic that does nothing but look cool.

Ranger S2H
Minifig
Location: deep in dimmy territory, fighting the hordes from the inside.

Post by Ranger S2H » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:02 am

I think that if you have two M16s on your back you might get tangled up when you need one quickly.

but what I meant is shouldn't one, when making a weapon that features a carrying handle, make said carrying handle out of a material that does not conduct heat that well?
- I refuse to be stopped by something as irrelevant as logic, the laws of physics, or common sense -

if 20 chickens can fit in a brick, how many pingpongballs does a crocodile have to eat so it can swim faster than a washing machine?

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:44 am

Like plastic, yeah. That sounds like a plan ...
WTF This stuff's melting on my hand, argggggghh.

razgriz 25th inf.
Dimmy

Post by razgriz 25th inf. » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:05 pm

In reality the HK416 is actually shit, its no better than the AR-15 series it was supposed to improve upon. Really, if we wanted to get the best weapon possible, it WOULD be a modern AK varient, such as a AK-105, but if we wanted to stay STANAG/NATO compliant the L85A2 is a brilliant weapon.
Holy shit, I'm still here?

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:39 am

Wasn't there a really bad automatic gun that the argentinians used in the falklands? All I remember is that the knock-back was so bad that only the first shot went anywhere you wanted it to go.
Intranet cookies for someone who knows.

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 am

ikensall wrote:Wasn't there a really bad automatic gun that the argentinians used in the falklands? All I remember is that the knock-back was so bad that only the first shot went anywhere you wanted it to go.
Intranet cookies for someone who knows.
I had not heard that particular story, but they used the FN FAL. The FN FAL is a 7.62mm so I imagine if they used it in Full Auto it would be hard to control. :lol:
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:35 pm

416 is a pretty good improvement over the AR-15, having the AR-15's comfy design and the G36's silky smooth action. It's nothing amazing or new though.

A modern AK variant isn't all that great of an idea, even the AK-10X series. They're in the same boat as the AR-15, in that the basic design hasn't changed much in sixty years.

The AN-94 is probably one of if not the best rifle out there today, but good luck getting one!

Honestly, firearms are a mature technology and there isn't too much room for improvement that doesn't mean blowing tens of thousands of dollars on a weapon for an individual soldier. Thats why the XM8-Punisher system never got put through, despite it being far superior to anything out there today.

Just one more reason to move on to laser guns.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:02 pm

The AN-94 is probably one of if not the best rifle out there today, but good luck getting one!
You probably won't, seeing as how they are quite expensive to make (even for the Russian army), and are issued exclusively to Spetsnaz troops, not sold to foreign buyers.

And as for the HK 416, I always thought it was simply an HK version of the classic AR-15, similiar to how the LWRC rifle is based of the M4 Carbine...