Bases, Planes and more!

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: ikensall, fredde, Dr. X

Postby Dr. X » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Erasmas wrote:This is beyond impressive. I am envious that you have both the collection and the space to build a set-up such as this.

For some reason, people are always envious of my huge collection. I've been ravenously collecting since I was 3, and I go garage saling every week trying to find boxes of Legos (try this It's worth it), also I've bargained 2 other people out of their entire Lego collections. The only downside is that my room is so frikin' crowded you can barely lie down on the floor.

As for the space, I am running out very rapidly, I have only space enough for a few small ships in my shelves. Every horizontal surface in my room has something on it, usually Legos. Luckily I do almost all my homework on the computer. There are so many legos in my room that I've had to take the clothes out of half my dresser and use the drawers as Lego boxes.
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby domo-kun » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:29 pm

thats actually a pretty big lego collection :shock: mine probably only takes up half of my room if i were to create a battlefield out of all of my lego pieces (which would take 3 days, trust me i'm very unorganized)
domo-kun
Champion

Postby ace121 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:49 pm

What would you value your collection at? I estimate mine is appx over $3100 worth of Lego. From what I see, I could see yours being around 4000 greenbacks or more. You put even my collection to shame...

"I am Aceman, bringer of quote"
ace121
Cannon Fodder

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:20 pm

See, I'm one of those guys who MOCs crap until they're out of good pieces/minifigs. I've got two bookshelfs full of two armies (organized by which army and then by which subdivision they're in), and six tupperware containers divided by color of the parts i haven't used yet.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Dr. X » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:01 pm

@ace: The value of all mine is probably above 4000, yeah. I couldn't truly know, though. Hard to estimate, though a lot of it is old Legos too. I also have a bunch of tiny drawers with minifig parts in them, sorted by heads/torsos/pants. It's useful when I need to build a minifig.

@IV: Yeah, my friend is like that too, he doesn't have all THAT many pieces so he builds until he's out. At least you've got yours sorted. My army is spread throughout everywhere, and most of the minifigs are totally random. So my army has like no consistent color, amarment, or anything else. Except for my Skeleton squad of 15 skeletons, the stormtrooper squad, the green squadron, or the brown squadron. Green squadron is jungle ops, they've got about 10 troops in the same torso and pants. Same with brown, but brown is desert ops. Pics soon maybe.

I make a really good, quality MOC every few weeks or so, but I spend a LOT of Lego time and little mocing in between. My problem is that about 70% of my Legos are UNsorted in just random boxes. The other 30% has been great for a while, but I'm running out of pieces, so I'm going to have to start sorting again. The last plane I built I had to search everywhere BUT the red box for pieces, because the box was almost out. I need to color-sort badly, but it's such a huge job because of the gargantuan amount I need to sort.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:09 pm

trust me, it's so totally worth it.

god. since i've had the same guys for so long, i even have a whole continuity-backstory deal going on like Bonn-o-Tron. The Galactic Union has it's shelf divided into air units, footsoldiers and other human-piloted vehicles, the Cybernetic Corps. and the Arachnitech industries droids. The other army, the Galactic Corporate Alliance, is split up between the four major corporations: Braintrust corp, Robotech Ind., Octan Fuel and the various other Rebels.

the worst part is, i can look at a fig and quickly tell you who's side he's likely to be on, as well as in what division.
IVhorseman

Postby Dr. X » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:12 pm

IVhorseman wrote:trust me, it's so totally worth it.

god. since i've had the same guys for so long, i even have a whole continuity-backstory deal going on like Bonn-o-Tron. The Galactic Union has it's shelf divided into air units, footsoldiers and other human-piloted vehicles, the Cybernetic Corps. and the Arachnitech industries droids. The other army, the Galactic Corporate Alliance, is split up between the four major corporations: Braintrust corp, Robotech Ind., Octan Fuel and the various other Rebels.

the worst part is, i can look at a fig and quickly tell you who's side he's likely to be on, as well as in what division.

You have an Octan Fuel company in your backstory too? Lol, I think everyone does. I have a backstory for my important minifigs, and a history of my base, and all sorts of technical information for my aircraft, but if you can look at a fig and tell my who's side he's likely to be on, as well as in what division, then LOL that's sad and awesome at the same time.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby ace121 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:14 pm

I spend more time creating a back story than building actually :)

"I am Aceman, bringer of quote"
ace121
Cannon Fodder

Postby Rayhawk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:01 am

I can't even tell you how many cool Octan backstories I've seen, I think they're always the most memorable. But for some reason, no matter how many sets I collected over the years, no matter how many bulk lots and random garage sale finds, I have never managed to procure even a single Octan fig. It's kind of sad.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:19 am

Octan Fuel Co: providing top-quality fuels since 2284.

Octan's always been fun to work with. It's a fuel company with a massive monopoly on the industry, and therefore lots of excess cash to get *ahem* protection. and when the time for war comes, well, guess who has all the guns...

I think my favorite part of this backstory is how space-pirates fit in: They make their entire living off of stealing things from Octan. The current government regime threatens to put Octan out of business. The entire reason Octan has so many weapons is due to space-pirates. yet when their entire economy is at stake, they work together to save Octan so they can steal from them another day.
IVhorseman

Postby Bonn-o-Tron » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:48 am

I had this huge story when I was a kid that centered around the exploits of this group of characters (who all came from civilizations of varying technological advancement), and not a full fledged army. I kept the story running for something like 3 or 4 years, and it got pretty deep. I can remember a couple characters, like the Amazon King who died and got resurrected, and the General from some sci-fi army who got his bottom half torn off, so he got turned into a big ass-cyborg. I don't have any army made up right now, but damn, now I want to get working on one.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:
Bonn-o-Tron
Playmobil

Postby Dr. X » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:15 am

My Octan company just fuels my airplanes, from a couple of large oil-rig type things stuck in the ground on my airport. I don't have much of a backstory, bvut at least I have a LOT of Octan logos and figs!
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby Thyclaine » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:46 am

Ah, yes.

Before I discovered Brikwars, I used to have huge storylines.

In the beginning, there were the good and the bad guys. Over time they formed into one, seperated into many factions, merged into 3, etc. etc.

And for my first Brikwars battle, I battled the 2 original factions. It was pretty awesome.
Time travel's been getting me down.
TROLOLO
Thyclaine
Hero

Previous

Return to Bricks