Technical fluff

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: ikensall, fredde, Dr. X

Technical fluff

Postby Dr. X » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:32 pm

This is just a bunch of the stuff I came up with to support the impossible technology many Lego creations exhibit. Right now it's mostly shield technology, but I'm going to post more on lasers, anti-grav, and plasma propulsion.

Detail on shield technology, which will no doubt resolve countless arguments with your little brother:

Deflector shield. These shields are constructed of a lattice of projected molecules tuned in on an energy frequency close to most lasers. They can therefore absorb energy weapons. However, the absorbed energy has to go somewhere. Normally, the energy is dumped into buffers located at the shield projector, which then dissapate the energy elsewhere. There is no possible way to reflect the energy off the shield, like a mirror, because of the nature of the shields molecular structure. It cannot be modified enough to be able to reflect energy or rays, although it can be polarized to allow energy weapons to pass through from the inside and not the outside. There is no 'genetic code' password thing for getting through the shield, it is impossible. Deflector shields can also absorb explosions from missiles or bombs, however deflector shields do not reflect solids, so a missile could pass right through the shield and destroy the target. If a missile hit next to it, though, the explosion would not penetrate the shield. The shrapnel and debris would, though. Also, fire is deflected by deflector shields. Although the shield does dissapate energy, it cannot deflect solids. That is to say, a bullet, missile, bomb, or trooper could pass right through the shield. However, people passing through the shield may be exposed to minor radiation.

Ray shield. These work in much the same way as deflector shields, however the molecular structure of the shield is of a different kind and intensity level. The ray shield converts matter into energy, that is to say, it disentigrates solids. The energy produced is again routed to the buffer, and dissapated. However, this shield does not convert energy into matter vice versa, so it will not stop lasers or energy weapons due to the entirely different atomic composition. Gases can also pass through. In general, ray shields take about twice as much power to run.

For both shields, endurance depends on two factors; the buffer and the power source. A larger buffer can dissapate more energy at a time. If too much energy is absorbed into a shield, ray or deflector, the buffer cannot dissapate the energy fast enough and the shield collapses, usually resulting in an explosion of the buffer. The larger the buffer is, the more energy it can handle at one time, resulting in progressively higher endurance levels. The second factor, the power source, is more important. A higher power source means that the shield has a more intense atomic structure. So a shield with a more intense energy field absorbs the energy more efficiently. For example, say a laser hits a deflector shield. With a tiny power source, the energy of that laser bolt would be transferred to the buffer raw, and very quickly. The buffer would have more energy and less time to dissapate, resulting in more likely failure depending on the intensity of the energy blast. Shields with more power can use extra to dissapate some of the energy at the point of impact, the more extra power the more it dissapates. It also slows down the speed at which the energy is transferred to the buffer. So with these two advantages, power source is very important. Now shields have a power source running requirement. The minimum amount of power needed to project a ray shield is twice the minimum needed to project a deflector. Now, say the power provided for a ray shield was twice the amount of the minimum. All the extra power would go into dissapating and slowing the energy at the point of impact, resulting in an easier time for the buffer and higher endurance levels depending on how much power minus the minimum needed to project is provided. I won't go into extreme detail here, but you get the point.

Now, when you build a shield generator and projector, the buffer is generally considered PART of the projector. So the larger your projector is, the better your buffer will be.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

EMP does NOT kill shields:

EMP, or ElectroMagnetic Energy, will not 'take out the whole system'. EMP blasts are most effective on electronics and avionics that employ Vacuum Tubes, although they will mess with any unprotected electronics. Most shield generators, projectors, and buffers all have EMP-proof plating placed over them. As for the shield itself, EMP is electromagnetic ENERGY and therefore absorbed or just passes right through most deflector shields. EMP bursts will pass right through ray shields. Do not think of ray shields as a solid wall thing, that is a misnomer. Ray shields are a sort of disentigrating field, to put it very simply. Laser bursts and energy weapons will pass though, but solids will not. If a missile were to hit a ray shield, it would be absorbed immediately, however some of the high explosives inside could detonate when the front of the missile absorbed. The shrapnel and the brunt of the explosion would be absorbed, but some of the explosion and fire would pass through. In short, EMP will not effect shields unless the shield generator/projector/buffer is exposed, which is unlikely on andy modern shield system.

I'm talking REAL EMP here, not futuristic star wars "EMP".

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It is very hard to overlap ray and deflectors:

remember the layering of a great armor system!
outside: Ray Sheild
middle: Deflector Shield
plating: EMP plating

Actually it is very hard to 'layer' shields around eachother. This is due to the interference that two high-intensity energy fields generate. In close proximity, the energy of the shields is absorbed by one another, usually resulting in a catastrophic meltdown of the buffer. So the energy from one shield is absorbed by the other, constantly, and the other is at the same time releasing energy into the first one. Such huge energy levels overload the buffer.

However, it is possible on very large installments, such as bases. The shields can be projected far enough from one another that the energy interference does not overlap. This is only possible on truly large installments, however.

That's all so far, more on those other topics when I get back from vacation!

--Dr. X, NOT 'Doc x'!
Last edited by Dr. X on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby ace121 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:35 pm

Before I read this... my floppy penis just made a thread for this in the General section :P

Now to read this pure awesomeness!

EDIT: I already read it :(

EDIT EDIT: You are Doc X
Last edited by ace121 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I am Aceman, bringer of quote"
ace121
Cannon Fodder

Postby Tarren » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:35 pm

Hah!
good stuff.
you're smart for a 15 year old :P
Silverdream wrote:As you can see the majority of sex workers in BC are not only children, but aboriginal children. It's mostly because we treat them like shit.
Tarren
Dimmy

Postby ace121 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:52 pm

A quick question for the doc:

If a large EMP was fired at a deflector sheild, couldn't it theoretically destroy it by overloading the buffers?

ace121
Cannon Fodder

Postby Dr. X » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:28 pm

ace121 wrote:A quick question for the doc:

If a large EMP was fired at a deflector sheild, couldn't it theoretically destroy it by overloading the buffers?

What do you mean, a LARGE EMP? EMP is not like a bomb or something, it is an energy pulse sent out from a station, like a radio wave. Although you might be able to devise an EMP bomb... meh.

Anyway, an extremely powerful EMP burst sent to a deflector shield with protected machinery might be absorbed and overload the buffers, but it really depends on the power source and buffer qualilty, and on how powerful the EMP burst is. Theoretically, ANY amount of energy that is more powerful than the shield would overload the buffers. It would take a pretty damn powerful EMP burst to knock out a large, well-powered shield installment though.

It is pretty hard to 'break' shields, though, no matter what the variables.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:47 am

lolwtf "EMP proof plating"? an electromagnetic pulse is just a pulse of energy that knocks out any and all electronic interfaces. in fact, vacum tubes are one of the few things that would SURVIVE an electromagnetic pulse, not be susceptible to it (FUN FACT: most nuclear blasts give off an EMP wave. it was thought that russian computers would survive a nuclear attack because they still used outdated vacuum tubes. I think newer fiber optics technology is not as susceptible to it though)!
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Dr. X » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:59 am

IVhorseman wrote:lolwtf "EMP proof plating"? an electromagnetic pulse is just a pulse of energy that knocks out any and all electronic interfaces. in fact, vacum tubes are one of the few things that would SURVIVE an electromagnetic pulse, not be susceptible to it (FUN FACT: most nuclear blasts give off an EMP wave. it was thought that russian computers would survive a nuclear attack because they still used outdated vacuum tubes. I think newer fiber optics technology is not as susceptible to it though)!

I knew nuclear blasts produce it. However, in real life there are no shields, so there's no way to tell what would REALLY happen. And I must have got it mixed up when I was reading up on EMP, because I thought vacuum tubes were SUSCEPTIBLE. Anyway, when shields where in invented in Lego technology, so was a form of EMP plating. I know there isn't any real stuff of that, but I just said 'lowtf' and made it up. And if that doesn't satisfy you, then shield generators and projectors use a mix of vacuum tubes and fiber optics along with the other equipment.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby Rody » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:44 am

there is shielding against EMP it is called a Faraday cage. (or at least a faraday cage gives some protection against it)

wikipedia wrote:To a large degree, Faraday cages also shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the radiation's wavelength. For example, certain computer forensic test procedures of electronic components or systems that require an environment devoid of electromagnetic interference may be conducted within a so-called screen room. These screen rooms are essentially labs or work areas that are completely enclosed by one or more layers of fine metal mesh or perforated sheet metal. The metal layers are connected to earth ground to dissipate any electric currents generated from the external electromagnetic fields, and thus block a large amount of the electromagnetic interference. This application of Faraday cages is explained under electromagnetic shielding.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby Almighty Benny » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:35 am

FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) HQ is actually inside a Faraday cage.

A friend of mine is in the USAF, and has to go through chemical weapons and anti-terrorism training. He says that if the general public knew how bad the threat of a chemical or EMP attack really is on the United States, we wouldn't be able to sleep at night. It's fun going places with him though, we picked him up at the airport the day he got back from chemical weapons training, and in the car he goes "I've absorbed so much tear gas in the last 2 weeks, that if I start sweating, your eyes will probably start burning."
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Postby ace121 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:54 am

The unfortunate part is that when I read your posts, I never know if you are serious or just laughing your ass off...

Yeah, and by large EMP, I did mean powerful EMP ;)

ace121
Cannon Fodder

Postby ahp77 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Some of the stuff in that artical kinda reminds me of the third vid that you can watch before you play the game in age of mythology. It shows Centaurs firing a volley of arrows at about ten troops, all the arrows are caught on a sheild then a late arrow splits the sheild and peircesa guy's arm,after that another late arrow gets the same guy in the back of the neck
ahp77
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Tarren » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:56 pm

*Raises hand*
how would a railcannon work in Brikwars?
I have one eqquipped on my new mech, its its bassically a 1X1 cone, with a black pirate mast stock on top of that, and then a 4X4X2 angled cone stuck on top of it.
stats plz :D
Silverdream wrote:As you can see the majority of sex workers in BC are not only children, but aboriginal children. It's mostly because we treat them like shit.
Tarren
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:24 pm

Just like any other weapon of it's size?

if by rail cannon you mean railgun, then it's just something that uses electromagnets on a rail to launch a chunk of metal towards a target. not really all that special.
IVhorseman

Postby Tarren » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:28 pm

meh, The railguns I'm talking about are the ones that use electricity, and it goes through solid objects.
so its basically a giant physichs-inhanced armor-peircing laser.
Ill just think up some stats for that :roll:
Tarren
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:36 pm

yyyeah. railguns DO use electricity for their magnetic fields, and are extremely powerful. as in, can punch metal slugs through most solid objects.

a railgun is by NO MEANS a laser, and is more or less the OPPOSITE of a laser.
IVhorseman

Next

Return to Bricks