Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Post by Whiteagle » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:54 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:I personally think that those "gull wings" need to be bulked up a bit and smoothed out to capture the finished feeling. I can see how the vehicle would operate, it just doesn't make much sense for the Federation to be deploying units quite like that.
Well I don't want to bulk them up much more then they already are as I'm kind of worried the hinges are over taxed as it is, but I can see your point.
Ross_Varn wrote:Also, from Star Wars : The New Essential Guide To Vehicles and Vessels, we have this quote on the MTT's capabilities...
Hexler Pend, Naboo Royal Security feces officer wrote:"We were hiding in the armory and then bam! The whole wall just fell down. Three tons of duracrete reduced to rubble by the business end of an MTT... I'm not ashamed to admit that we surrendered."
The MTT is a blitzerkreig device, built to punch a hole in anything aimed at it, with the added capabilities of disgorging several squads worth of disposable cannon fodder at will. To be fair, the techs running the Naboo confrontation weren't going about that battle in a tactical way- it was solely a show of force, intended to send the primitives running once they saw the "power of this fully operational battle station-" *cough* er, army. Good job with the rest of it though, looks good.
Well as I said in the opening post, the design makes more sense for living troops to use that massive internal bay as a staging area, storming out at the ready with blasters blazing.
But putting a giant droid rack that takes five minutes to deploy just negates most of the benefits of using such a massively armored vehicle.
Hell, I don't even think they can use the forward laser turrets while the rack is out, since they might hit the damned thing.
Last edited by Whiteagle on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:57 pm

From the angles you are giving it does not appear as if the sponsons have very much rotation. Again, at least from my perspective, that gives you one defensible arc (protected by the gull-wing and turbo-lasers) while you have 3 arcs of exposed droids. That's 25% cover hoping desperately to Brikthulu that you will never be in a position where you are flanked by an FAV with missiles, bombs, or other explosive devices. The forward design and lasers look nice, though.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:24 am

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:From the angles you are giving it does not appear as if the sponsons have very much rotation. Again, at least from my perspective, that gives you one defensible arc (protected by the gull-wing and turbo-lasers) while you have 3 arcs of exposed droids. That's 25% cover hoping desperately to Brikthulu that you will never be in a position where you are flanked by an FAV with missiles, bombs, or other explosive devices. The forward design and lasers look nice, though.
Yeah, the sponsons can only rotate laterally and it doesn't provide much cover...

...But it is designed to release troops without deploying the rack, and certainly can give more support then the other droid transport options.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:59 am

Alright, second draft update:

Went and braced the wings a bit, while also trying to add a turreted laser cannon on top of the cockpit...

...But I'm not really liking how the turret came out.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:15 am

Still looks pretty good, IMO. I think that dark blue would be a better choice color-wise, if you can manage it.

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Either change the engine/wheelhub thing back to dark blue again, or make them brown to fit in with other droid tanks, like the MTT.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Oho! I see what you're doing! But yeah, they still need more cover... :|
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:54 pm

Robot Monkey wrote:Either change the engine/wheelhub thing back to dark blue again, or make them brown to fit in with other droid tanks, like the MTT.
Well that's the thing...

I'd WANT to make them brown, but I don't think Part #30602 (Slope, Curved 2 x 2 Lip, No Studs), which makes up the curved surface of the forward repulsorlifts, come in it...
BAH!!!
#6153 (Wedge 6 x 4), the part that makes up most of the cockpits, comes in blue...
But my best bet for #6152 (Windscreen 6 x 4 x 1 1/3) is to get it in brown... and it doesn't come in blue!

And now I find out #6153 comes in two variants!
:fu:
Ross_Varn wrote:Oho! I see what you're doing! But yeah, they still need more cover... :|
WELL TOO BAD!
They're Space Skeletons, they're lucky to even have blasters!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'ma gonna go lie down...
Hopefully, I will be back with something Star Wars and awesome...

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Whiteagle wrote:
Ross_Varn wrote:Oho! I see what you're doing! But yeah, they still need more cover... :|
WELL TOO BAD!
They're Space Skeletons, they're lucky to even have blasters!
Simply making the observation that the majority of your responses to critique and suggestion for your construction on this thread have amounted to: "Too bad, I do what I want." While I'm not second-guessing your autonomy, which you doubtless have, i would raise questions of your method, namely posting progressive drafts of your work (which seems to invite critique) only to disregard them all.

Nevertheless, good luck with the designs

~Rev.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:14 am

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:Simply making the observation that the majority of your responses to critique and suggestion for your construction on this thread have amounted to: "Too bad, I do what I want." While I'm not second-guessing your autonomy, which you doubtless have, i would raise questions of your method, namely posting progressive drafts of your work (which seems to invite critique) only to disregard them all.

Nevertheless, good luck with the designs

~Rev.
Look, I'm sorry, but the Droid Rack was the gimmick the vehicle was build around and, to give the droids more cover, I'd have to redesign it completely.
I might as well build something entirely different if were that case.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:19 am

No need for apology. Nor am I suggesting that you should scrap your project or keep pushing for cover if its not going to work. But there have been suggestions on this thread beyond cover. All I'm suggesting is that there is a disconnect between what seems like a willingness in Armory threads to offer your own criticisms and building suggestions, while at the same time being much less receptive regarding your own work. That was all.

But for the record, I am much more privy to the second draft than the first, so keep up the improvements!

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:15 pm

It kinda looks like a IFV with a troop rack slapped on for added dakka, which is really good IMO.

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:54 pm

I like the added turret; I think you're over analyzing it... it's good!

The blue and gray was a nice color scheme but it sounds like the logistics of getting the blue or even brown you want is making that impossible... too bad =(

I'm with you on the amount of cover. There's plenty of shielding for front assault. Some other units (armored cav, troops, whatever) should be covering their flanks and securing the drop zone anyway. Plus, like you said, they are mooks.... so you loose 10% during a deployment into a hot drop zone? Acceptable losses :twisted:

Time to buy the parts and build 20 of them =^.^=

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:No need for apology. Nor am I suggesting that you should scrap your project or keep pushing for cover if its not going to work. But there have been suggestions on this thread beyond cover. All I'm suggesting is that there is a disconnect between what seems like a willingness in Armory threads to offer your own criticisms and building suggestions, while at the same time being much less receptive regarding your own work. That was all.

But for the record, I am much more privy to the second draft than the first, so keep up the improvements!
Well "more cover" is the only thing that's been constantly suggested and, other then adding a plate underneath the the rack droids, it's the only suggestion I haven't tried to integrate.
RunsWithLegos wrote:It kinda looks like a IFV with a troop rack slapped on for added dakka, which is really good IMO.
That's the idea man, though an Infantry Fighting Vehicle is suppose to transport troops in the first place...

...My just can carry 33% more Droids then the largest Battle Droid Carrier!
morganm wrote:I like the added turret; I think you're over analyzing it... it's good!
Well it's a nice enough little turret on it's own, it just doesn't really fit with the angular look of the vehicle's main body...
...Maybe I'll put some wing bits on it to make it match better.
morganm wrote:The blue and gray was a nice color scheme but it sounds like the logistics of getting the blue or even brown you want is making that impossible... too bad =(
Well blue and gray would be easier to do... but then it wouldn't match with my old and new Battle Droid Carriers...

Speaking of, can anyone tell me what the difference is between Part #6153a (AKA Wedge 6 x 4 Cutout without Stud Notches) and Part #6153b (AKA Wedge 6 x 4 Cutout with Stud Notches) is, because one comes in a greater variety of colors then the other.
morganm wrote:I'm with you on the amount of cover. There's plenty of shielding for front assault. Some other units (armored cav, troops, whatever) should be covering their flanks and securing the drop zone anyway. Plus, like you said, they are mooks.... so you loose 10% during a deployment into a hot drop zone? Acceptable losses :twisted:

Time to buy the parts and build 20 of them =^.^=
Well I was thinking that they'd deploy troops slightly behind my front line, then move up as a mobile wall.
Also, since Repulsorlifts are basically hovercraft and not limited by treads or tires, shouldn't they be able to move nearly as well sideways as they due foward and back?

And... I was only planning on making two.
They hold a dozen Battle Droids apiece, and my other sets are already Battle Droid Carriers...

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:40 pm

So it eventually turns into a battle droid flashmob?