Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, fredde

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby stubby » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Hey I thought you weren't inclined to post any longer. Did the Belgian government manipulate you into coming back? Probably the same way they tricked us into thinking you're oblivious to privilege! Damn those manipulative Belgians!



The worst thing about being oblivious to privilege is that it makes you oblivious to what being oblivious to privilege means. It doesn't mean we're calling you racist or sexist. It doesn't mean we're saying you're an intolerant guy or one who doesn't give a crap. (I'm not saying you're not also those things, but those aren't part what it means when someone tells you your privilege is showing.)

In this case, privilege means that you're showing that you're unaware of the really fundamental ways that a non-privileged person's experience is very different than yours, and further, that you're unaware of the fact that you're showing it. That's why it's so painful and embarrassing for the rest of us to watch.


Here's another try at a link to explain it.
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4610
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby stubby » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Honest to god, my friends actually started making a list of the cliches so they could play privilege bingo (yes, I put your posts online for everyone else to make fun of, I can't remember if I mentioned earlier).

    "I'm not prejudiced because I have friends of those other races/genders/religions"
    "I'm not prejudiced because there are these other people who are way more prejudiced than me"
    "It's the people who are accused of prejudice that are the real victims"
    "Marginalization isn't a real problem because no one gets hurt"
    "No one is actually suffering, they just want to be victims"
    "I didn't make society the way it is, so I'm not responsible for my participation in the problem"
    "If I don't mean it offensively, that means it isn't offensive"
    "If the other race/gender/religion laughs at the joke, that means it isn't offensive"

http://memegenerator.net/Privilege-Denying-Dude
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4610
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby Zupponn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Sometimes I get so frustrated at the problems the black community has that I want to run into the inner city and shout: "What's the problem with you people? Go and fix your God damn society already!", but then I would be shot because I'm white.
Image
User avatar
Zupponn
No Lego part truly dies
No Lego part truly dies
 
Posts: 5341
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:15 pm
Location: Wisconsin, land of the cheese

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby Gungnir » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Wow. From girls' toys to black people. It's like I'm on the internet or something.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
User avatar
Gungnir
Dimmy
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby stubby » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:24 pm

Zupponn wrote:Sometimes I get so frustrated at the problems the black community has that I want to run into the inner city and shout: "What's the problem with you people? Go and fix your God damn society already!", but then I would be shot because I'm white.

See this one is way better, I started telling it to my friends and it stunned them speechless. I got a bunch of mouths hanging open and blank stares like their brains just went to blue screen.

me: It's almost flawless!
random: It really is. That is some amazing trolling. Give that guy a ring pop.
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4610
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby Silverdream » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:41 pm

stubby wrote:
me: It's almost flawless!
random: It really is. That is some amazing trolling. Give that guy a ring pop.


I don't care. Zupponn can be the forum troll if he wants.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7284
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby stubby » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:13 am

Silverdream wrote:I don't care. Zupponn can be the forum troll if he wants.

I admit it. I lol'd
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4610
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby Bragallot » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:07 am

You claim to not be accusing me of racism- whatever, then go ahead and post a list of why the things I said should be inconsequential. You're really losing it stubby. You must be older than I thought. But then I knew for a long time before this the reason you're not making sense is because you're not interested in the discussion, or you wouldn't have made the mistake of banning me. All you're interested in, is being annoying. You'll find out soon enough what 'no longer being inclined to post' means.

If you weren't so hell-bent on thinking of me as a racist or whatever to make yourself feel a little bit better about disagreeing with me you would have noticed that all this time I've been saying marginalization does exist, on a far worse level than a lot of the people who complain about children's toys and other irrelevant shit realize. A lot of people don't realize just how badly they're being fucked in the ass by the government *because* they think other poor / middle class suckers' differences with them are the base of their problems rather than the rich guy making it so and fucking them over on a far worse level (no chance to get a job, way too high prices, no gains on savings and whatnot). Hence the example of the Flemish populace voting for a party that's going to fuck them over without realizing it because they were made to think it's all the fault of the Walloons. Your argument 'you're white, you couldn't possibly have access to the right information, only I do' is the definition of bias.

You're not concerned with minorities, all you want to do is look politically correct and go 'yeah, everything people complain about should be addressed because those are the things that are keeping them down!' You take no risk and stay safe, but don't stop to wonder for 1 second what is *really going on*, because you don't care. Perhaps you're just playing into this plot because you support it? I wouldn't be surprised. After all it's always the guy who stands up to say it just how it is who is shot down, which is why politicians train themselves to be such blithering slithering idiots who avoid every little thing that *might* put them in a bad daylight with the deluded even if they do not mean it. Are you protesting against the Friend's line right now? Did you stop buying Lego because you think it's scandalous, since from your point of view it's oppressing women? I don't think so. Deeds speak louder than words: you say you care, but you don't. And if the line was banned, would that help anyone? No, inequality would still exist, women would still make less money etc. etc. and you can wait out the next movie, toy line, show or whatnot that you deem 'offensive' to 'prove' just how much you 'do' care, because you aren't doing shit about real problems and just want to create that illusion to stay safe, and instead prefer to piss on people who do.

The moment you complain about inequality and the next moment ban someone and feel the need to launch personal assaults while I'm gone simply because you (think) you disagree with me you also become a hypocrite who has no further right to open his mouth. But then again, all this is of course not about the discussion at hand is it, it's just about enlarging your internet penis in a place you know you can get away with just about anything and even be supported for it. Seriously, I have nothing left to add to people who take pride in being assholes over the internet, because that's all that's left, isn't it? :lol: Maybe ten years from now some of you will wake up and realize maybe that wasn't such a good nor very productive plan. If you're lucky you'll be part of some minority by then so no one could possibly have the right to judge anything you do. Either way, you've just become really, really uninteresting. I thought there was more to you, turns out there isn't, and I might have to be a little more critical of people in the future. It doesn't matter what you (or your friends) think of me, because you see, it doesn't affect me. Unlike some people, I'm self-certain enough not to think something someone thinks of me or says about me affects me, because I know it's not true. And thanks to the people who got mad to so perfectly illustrate how easily people get offended nowadays, which was my point all along :mrgreen:
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
Zupponn wrote:Everybody needs a sand green codpiece.
User avatar
Bragallot
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5215
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Headbanging with limited head space

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby Colette » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:11 am

Image
Image
Image

This thread strikes me as serious business and very-unbrikwarsy in its level of fun. I think it needs some dicks.

Image
Last edited by Colette on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Image
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
User avatar
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: This Forum

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby Whiteagle » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:58 am

Bragallot wrote:*Rant.*

*Facepalm.*

Yes Brag, it's all THE MAN and SOCIETY'S fault...
If you are as politically active as you say you are, why are you wasting time writing up short essays on a forum about Lego war-gaming just to bellyache about the issue?

To paraphrase my father:
QUIT YOUR BITCHING YOU GOD DAMNED SUCKAFF AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

Every wall-o-text you post here is just one less that you could have used to pester the hell out of your local representative instead, which would at least be addressing the problem with someone who could actually do shit about it.
User avatar
Whiteagle
Mega Blok
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby stubby » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:50 am

Crap, I'm off traveling for the next week and I'm not going to have time to string this out any further, so I've got to boil this down to two points.

point #6

You know there are real racists on this board, right? Like if I really wanted to go crusade for racial justice I'd be off driving them crazy instead of you.

point #7

The moment you complain about inequality and the next moment ban someone and feel the need to launch personal assaults while I'm gone simply because you (think) you disagree with me you also become a hypocrite who has no further right to open his mouth. But then again, all this is of course not about the discussion at hand is it, it's just about enlarging your internet penis in a place you know you can get away with just about anything and even be supported for it.

We've been taking bets over the last couple of days on how long it would take for someone to call me on this. I lost. I said it would happen right after I banned you, and it would come from someone other than you (which was kind of a cheat on my part, since you were banned). So this is a little later than I expected, and not really as satisfying as I was thinking it would be, and I didn't even get to use the "I'm glad we had this talk" music like I wanted to. Probably if it came from IVhorseman or somebody I'd be a lot more contented. (My bet was that it'd be Natalya, but she's kind of a ringer.)

So yes, not only is everything you say in this part true, that has all been true since the beginning of the thread, and actually from the day the board started. Do you know what that's called? Privilege. Do you know how frustrated you feel because of it? That's what privilege does.

People who act the way I'm acting in this thread traditionally get the #stuffwhiteguyssay tag, because in today's society, white guys are the ones with the privilege to get away with acting like I do. Is it racist against white people or sexist against guys to say so? The correct answer is: who cares?


Wait one extra point #8

Should I act like you're accusing me of racism just because you're pointing out that my privilege is showing? No, because that isn't even related.
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4610
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby IVhorseman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:33 pm

Bragallot wrote:If you're lucky you'll be part of some minority by then so no one could possibly have the right to judge anything you do.


+1 for "Minorities are lucky because none of it is their fault so they can't be blamed for their mistakes"


Stubbs, the fact that you're the bourgeois privileged upper-class of the forums is hardly a secret, I'm surprised you expected someone to point it out.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6298
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby OneEye589 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:13 pm

And now Brag's frustrated because he can't use his usual privileges here.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby Zupponn » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:54 am

My parents once told me that there's a difference between a el nigre and a black person, and I tend to agree. Does that make me racist?
Image
User avatar
Zupponn
No Lego part truly dies
No Lego part truly dies
 
Posts: 5341
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:15 pm
Location: Wisconsin, land of the cheese

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby stubby » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:13 am

Zupponn wrote:My parents once told me that there's a difference between a el nigre and a black person, and I tend to agree. Does that make me racist?

That is another one of the cliches on the stupid things racists say bingo card, I'm not even kidding.
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4610
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Bricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest