BFenix's Artwork - UPDATE: Battletech p.2

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

BFenix
Pooplord

Re: BFenix's Artwork - UPDATE: 16/9 (Prof. Twist'Ed)

Post by BFenix » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:50 am

I'm currently working on a map for Hellius in order to have a visual geographical element. This will help with Soaps and making maps is always fun :)

Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Re: BFenix's Artwork - UPDATE: 16/9 (Prof. Twist'Ed)

Post by Vami IV » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Wait, I can do maps.
Proof is on the paper

BFenix
Pooplord

Re: BFenix's Artwork - UPDATE: 16/9 (Map of HELLIUS)

Post by BFenix » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:19 pm

BFenix wrote:I'm currently working on a map for Hellius in order to have a visual geographical element. This will help with Soaps and making maps is always fun :)
Welcome to HELLIUS!

Or at least a widely resized version of it. I'd really recommend checking this out in sweet full-view glory (2700x1700): http://blitzfenix.deviantart.com/art/HE ... -486459223

Although I've left some room for future additions of content (perhaps from other contributions than just my own) , the foundations for the world map of Hellius are pretty much done.

Made this to have a better visual idea of where my stories with the Metal Warriors would take place. I'll be adding more fluff over the wiki with more of the planet's history and geographical data.

Took me about four days and although it wasn't particularly hard it gives <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> of work. More so when you're coming up with some stuff as you go but the whole process is really fun!

What do you guys think?

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: BFenix's Artwork - UPDATE: (Map of HELLIUS)

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:05 am

I think this is completely fucking awesome. I'm deeply goddamn impressed. Your color choice is superb, fitting both the theme and conveying classic map-ness. The text overlay design is interesting without being distracting. The positioning actually has the effect of drawing me more into the map. It lets me pace around and naturally draws my eye around the entire map. The fading is also a nice touch, causing me to seek those words out and consequently keep my attention from wandering too fast from place to place. The combination allows me to absorb the map at leisure. I enjoy your naming convention and am pleased to see places like Starbaria on the map. The cartography itself is neat and highly realistic. I'm not a super geography nerd but that's how it looks to me. You also utilize the space well, filling the whole map without making things seem overly dense. There's a nice bit of symmetry in there that is hard to identify at first blush but it definitely has a unifying effect. I can't point to anything on the map that looks immediately out of place. Even looking at it closely, it all fits really well. In short, this is definitely one of the better fictional maps I've seen.

Vami IV

Post by Vami IV » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:23 am

BFenix wrote:
BFenix wrote:I'm currently working on a map for Hellius in order to have a visual geographical element. This will help with Soaps and making maps is always fun :)
Welcome to HELLIUS!

Or at least a widely resized version of it. I'd really recommend checking this out in sweet full-view glory (2700x1700): http://blitzfenix.deviantart.com/art/HE ... -486459223

Although I've left some room for future additions of content (perhaps from other contributions than just my own) , the foundations for the world map of Hellius are pretty much done.

Made this to have a better visual idea of where my stories with the Metal Warriors would take place. I'll be adding more fluff over the wiki with more of the planet's history and geographical data.

Took me about four days and although it wasn't particularly hard it gives <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'><a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a></a> of work. More so when you're coming up with some stuff as you go but the whole process is really fun!

What do you guys think?
This map is so awesome it has revitalized me. As a cartographer, this gives me a boner.
EDIT: OK, I'm double checking my posts from now on
Last edited by Vami IV on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:09 am

Wow that looks sick, great job!
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:21 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:I think this is completely fucking awesome. I'm deeply goddamn impressed. Your color choice is superb, fitting both the theme and conveying classic map-ness. The text overlay design is interesting without being distracting. The positioning actually has the effect of drawing me more into the map. It lets me pace around and naturally draws my eye around the entire map. The fading is also a nice touch, causing me to seek those words out and consequently keep my attention from wandering too fast from place to place. The combination allows me to absorb the map at leisure. I enjoy your naming convention and am pleased to see places like Starbaria on the map. The cartography itself is neat and highly realistic. I'm not a super geography nerd but that's how it looks to me. You also utilize the space well, filling the whole map without making things seem overly dense. There's a nice bit of symmetry in there that is hard to identify at first blush but it definitely has a unifying effect. I can't point to anything on the map that looks immediately out of place. Even looking at it closely, it all fits really well. In short, this is definitely one of the better fictional maps I've seen.
Thanks for the kind words, guys! I really put some effort into this thing and I'm rather satisfied for a first try.

@Quantum: The insightful review is very much appreciated, Quantum!

I followed a few tutorials made by more experienced users over DA that do wonders while applying my own touch along the way. Since Hellius is sort of an Earth-like planet I tried to cope with IRL geography. I started with a very large landmass and imagined how it would develop over the ages, as if old Earth's Pangeia. For the most part at least.

Didn't want to make the map way to over the top but I'll probably add some iconography for famous battle locations, places of interest, monuments, etc... As I mentioned, I left some space here and there for other ideas I have in store, hope it won't crowd the map too much.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:26 am

Pro quality map, nice work!

Nice to see that Mordhaus got in there.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Tzan wrote:Pro quality map, nice work!

Nice to see that Mordhaus got in there.
Thanks, man!

Hellius is pretty much a huge amalgam of awesome and overall :666: stuff, so you'll find bits and hints of related things all around.

Maverick
OLIOLIOOOOO
OLIOLIOOOOO

Post by Maverick » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:40 am

BFenix wrote: Welcome to HELLIUS!

Needs more scandinavian letters and less umlauts

Vami IV

Post by Vami IV » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Maverick wrote:
BFenix wrote: Welcome to HELLIUS!

Needs more scandinavian letters and less umlauts
This one has not seen the true METAL-ness of Hellius.

Carry on, my wayward BFenix.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:29 pm

I must say I'm pretty god-damn impressed by this map.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:05 pm

Photography counts, right?

I spotted this wall art several times near my place, so I thought it deserved a decent photo.

Being sort of a military geek I see the practicality and application of a drone, but it's still kinda scary to know that whoever possesses these assets can literally pop a missile anywhere they want without anyone knowing it.

A silent hovering spy and assassin, capable of peeking at your bathroom while you take a crap with its electric eye and make the porcelain go boom with the press of a joystick button. Grab the tin foil everyone!
Last edited by BFenix on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Re: BFenix's Artwork - UPDATE: (Terminator Drone)

Post by Zupponn » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:30 pm

If you peel away the outer layer, Arnold is underneath.

BFenix
Pooplord

Re: BFenix's Artwork - UPDATE: (Terminator Drone)

Post by BFenix » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:08 pm

"Scratch is OG"

Another commission delivered.