An amazing Idea has just occurred to me in a dream.

Pay attention

Moderator: Bonn-o-Tron

what do you think

plausible
82%
improbable
18%

Total votes : 22

An amazing Idea has just occurred to me in a dream.

Postby piltogg » Sun May 30, 2010 9:49 am

So, it relates to a way in which we could run forum battles just as we would a real battle, in the same amount of time. The person who is running the battle would need to do quite a bit of set up, but I think it would be totally worth it for those of us who don't live near anybody else. So the idea is that we could set up multiple laptops with webcams. (you will probably need to borrow some from your friends or work or relatives.) Then start up a video chat with each player. Then the host simply carries out each person's orders. The online dice rolling thing could be used, or the host could just roll all the dice too.

So do you think that would be possible to do this? would anybody be willing to test out the idea? Have some thoughts on ways to improve it/ links to resources you know which might be useful?
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby piltogg » Sun May 30, 2010 2:45 pm

*bump*
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby RunsWithLegos » Sun May 30, 2010 2:49 pm

interesting idea no doubt.
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby BFenix » Sun May 30, 2010 3:09 pm

So, the players would simply send orders via msn or something... but why multiple laptops? You could just start a conversation with the players in your computer and the players in theirs right?
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby mm233 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:48 pm

Interesting... 8)
TROLOLO
mm233
Officer

Postby muffinman42 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:31 pm

MSN would be more plasible, also you would only need one laptop with one chat that you all connect too.
The only person who needs a camara is the person running the game.
The ploblems would be the online write up and camara angles. Though game play would be more dynamic and would allow for people to play like proper brikwars by reacting to other players.

Maybe a combo, so people join at a certain time each day/2 days to send orders, so they can see the person before theirs orders and avoid walking into a death trap. this could combined the day,by,day aspect of forum and the turn,by,turn aspect of real-time.

You have strange dreams piltogg, strange,strange dreams.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Warhead » Sun May 30, 2010 4:41 pm

Even if I were able to perform such technomagi wizardry and bodacious techno spell casting as this that would allow such brain mangling feats of moderness, I still wouldn't want to. What, have you lot rattling my cage every five seconds while I'm trying to come up with stuff... yeah, sounds like bliss. I'd probably end up killing the lap top. Sorry Piltogg.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby piltogg » Sun May 30, 2010 7:24 pm

ya, I had a dream of the ultimate brikwar (probably from too much building right before going to sleep). only in the dream, forum members where holographic images, but it did lead to the realization of this possibility.

One could set up mirrors on the corners of the battlefield, making sight from different angles possible. Plus everyone is watching what all is happening, so they know what is up. In order to do a battle report, simply record the video chat, and take a few pictures of especially interesting moments.
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby RunsWithLegos » Sun May 30, 2010 8:37 pm

could you connect a video cammra to the chat and place it next to the battle field?
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby piltogg » Sun May 30, 2010 9:12 pm

probably... but who among is has the tech skills to test this out? kinks would be discovered much faster within an actual game.
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Rody » Sun May 30, 2010 9:33 pm

I'd say the technology is there to do this, but... I really dislike having to have a video chat with people I don't know IRL in order to actually do this.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby piltogg » Sun May 30, 2010 9:35 pm

why? I highly doubt that anybody is going to come snuggle you or anything like that.
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby RunsWithLegos » Sun May 30, 2010 9:58 pm

that is very likely to happen with you lot.
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby Rody » Sun May 30, 2010 10:30 pm

piltogg wrote:why? I highly doubt that anybody is going to come snuggle you or anything like that.

it comes with being paranoid.
part of which is due to my neighbour being a drug addict who's done time in prison and has broken into some fellow students their apartment with a knife before falling asleep on their bed.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby james+burgundy » Sun May 30, 2010 11:18 pm

I am all for this idea, being that IMO forum battles go by far to slowly.
piltogg if you want I would be willing to do a trial run this way with you at you convenience .
james+burgundy
Pooplord

Next

Return to Announcements