Creation weapon use ratings

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

youaredoome0
Hero

Creation weapon use ratings

Post by youaredoome0 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:09 pm

How do use ratings on weapons that are mounted on Vehicles work? Does the Operator have to make a Skill roll or do vehicles get automatic hits?

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:59 pm

Yes, although i think my clone mounted on the AT-AP upper turret can't launch the missile very often, because it has UR:20!!!
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:10 pm

Oh he can still launch it, just getting a weapon to fire takes no skill roll at all. It's the actually-hitting-the-target part that's tricky.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:38 pm

and of course the-not-accidentally-hitting-yourself-part that confuses many peoples
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:07 pm

for a generic, non explosive siege gun, your stats are as follows:

range: 6x"
damage: xd6
UR: 3x

where x is the size in inches of your gun.

from this, your gun tends to have a stupidly difficult UR on anything past size 2 or 3. solution? your targets are too small. the UR given is for shooting at a size 1 object. when targeting bigger objects, you get +1 per 2" of target. bigger targets are thus easier to hit.

minifigs also gain +1 to skill if they spend a turn stationary and aiming. i personally use this with a slight liberty, and give +x to skill (counting minifig guns as size 1 weapons). this means a size 5 weapon could get an additional +5 to it's shots.

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:11 am

We noticed that the size of the weapon increases the difficulty significiantly in our first two games. But, we realised it makes its own bizarre balance (minifigs are already easy to kill... mechs are not so much). However, I like fiddly bits of rules, and here's a quick idea I had.

Targeting System: +1 AP
This scope or sensor package attached directly to a weapon, or somewhere where it can see where the weapon is aimed. If a minifig or creation remains stationary to aim, it recieves a +2 to skill instead of +1.
It's a secret to everybody.

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:59 am

feuer_faust wrote: Targeting System: +1 AP
This scope or sensor package attached directly to a weapon, or somewhere where it can see where the weapon is aimed. If a minifig or creation remains stationary to aim, it recieves a +2 to skill instead of +1.
I do the same thing with the LED optics on a few of the Exo Force sets. Comes in handy and annoys my foes frequenty.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:50 pm

I don't really like the system for this in the 2005 rules. Mainly because if you wan't something between a weapon with size 1 and a weapon with size 2 you have to make up the stats your self (>.<) and also think there should be a grounds attack rule so that you could still shoot on smaller targets with a big gun. Because if someone is running and you'r in a tank you don't directly aim at the person but at the ground under his feet.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:11 pm

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:I don't really like the system for this in the 2005 rules. Mainly because if you wan't something between a weapon with size 1 and a weapon with size 2 you have to make up the stats your self (>.<) and also think there should be a grounds attack rule so that you could still shoot on smaller targets with a big gun. Because if someone is running and you'r in a tank you don't directly aim at the person but at the ground under his feet.
I just round the gun size to whichever is better for a particular situation.

You could make up seperate rules for artillary as some people have done. With artillary, you target the ground or a spot in the air, so you always get the stationary target bonus. But you have to contend with being off-target, which can sometimes lead to your own forces getting blown up.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:38 pm

uh. crazyhorse. why would you want to get more specific than size one and two? it's set up like this for simplicity, since brikwars is by no means an exact science.

as for ground targeting, that's already incorporated into the system. if you miss, the shot lands a certain number of inches away. a size 3 explosive weapon does 3d10 damage, which affects units up to 6" away. your hit ratio suddenly goes up.

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:21 am

You could use a d6 and one of those quasi-mystical d3 ellipsoids for a 1.5" gun.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:27 am

IVhorseman wrote:uh. crazyhorse. why would you want to get more specific than size one and two? it's set up like this for simplicity, since brikwars is by no means an exact science.

as for ground targeting, that's already incorporated into the system. if you miss, the shot lands a certain number of inches away. a size 3 explosive weapon does 3d10 damage, which affects units up to 6" away. your hit ratio suddenly goes up.
The only thing I can't take about it is that you can't make a Gun that is meant to mow down a lot of small people at the same time (like a Gatling gun :) ) and that's why I'm so happy with the MG rules!

Lett me explain, if you have a size 1 gun it has to little damage and to little range for a Gatling gun kind of thing and if you have a size 2 gun it has a to High UR for a anti person kind of gun like a Gatling gun, but that problem is solved now because of the MG rules.

So to be more precise I don't like the Gun rules but I do like the rocket, launcher, CC and explosive rules.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Gorchek
Officer

Post by Gorchek » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:25 am

You can add the full-auto rule for the gattling: by doubling the weapon's cost, you can cause extra damage based on how well you hit, or you can target everyone in a cone.
And if that's still not enough, you could add an extra rule: for each two barrels the weapon has, you add the base cost again, and you get a +1 to the skill roll (representing all the extra lead you can send in the area). Although, on cone fire, you might want to limit the skill bonus to just cancelling the penalities for firing in a cone.
So, the gattling on the front of the Striking Venon would be a size 1 full-auto weapon with 8 barrels, costing (3 + 3 for full-auto + 4*3 for extra barrels) 18 cp, and have a +4 to skill rolls for its attack.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:03 pm

Gorchek wrote:You can add the full-auto rule for the gattling: by doubling the weapon's cost, you can cause extra damage based on how well you hit, or you can target everyone in a cone.
And if that's still not enough, you could add an extra rule: for each two barrels the weapon has, you add the base cost again, and you get a +1 to the skill roll (representing all the extra lead you can send in the area). Although, on cone fire, you might want to limit the skill bonus to just cancelling the penalities for firing in a cone.
So, the gattling on the front of the Striking Venon would be a size 1 full-auto weapon with 8 barrels, costing (3 + 3 for full-auto + 4*3 for extra barrels) 18 cp, and have a +4 to skill rolls for its attack.
tl;dr

i was also marginally dissapointed with the weapons included in 2005 brikwars, but the system is easily expanded upon.

one thing to note though, is that *most* weapons already fall into one of the different categories already given. the more specialized weapons are what there aren't rules pre-given for.

so far, the only specialized extra siege weapons i have are heavy MGs/miniguns, artillery, and flamethrowers. i only added these weapons because they did not previously fit into the weapon criteria.

generally, you don't want to be creating weapons unless you absolutely cannot fit it into some other category due to game mechanics. for example, the weapon type of "Missile" can be applied to actual missiles, or it can go to anything that would reasonably have similar range, and would make an explosive area-of-effect damage attack. this includes missiles, plasma blasts, pulse waves, large rocks that shatter into pieces and massive glass bottles, along with whatever else would behave similarly.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:28 pm

IV wrote:i was also marginally dissapointed with the weapons included in 2005 brikwars, but the system is easily expanded upon.

one thing to note though, is that *most* weapons already fall into one of the different categories already given. the more specialized weapons are what there aren't rules pre-given for.

so far, the only specialized extra siege weapons i have are heavy MGs/miniguns, artillery, and flamethrowers. i only added these weapons because they did not previously fit into the weapon criteria.

generally, you don't want to be creating weapons unless you absolutely cannot fit it into some other category due to game mechanics. for example, the weapon type of "Missile" can be applied to actual missiles, or it can go to anything that would reasonably have similar range, and would make an explosive area-of-effect damage attack. this includes missiles, plasma blasts, pulse waves, large rocks that shatter into pieces and massive glass bottles, along with whatever else would behave similarly.
tl;dr
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...