Should flamethrowers be given their own stats?

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Should flamethrowers have their own stats?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 40

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:37 am

I also found this online, thought it looked very cool. I can't understand why he's naked though.

The reason the minifig is naked is because it's supposed to look like a maniquin. (or however you spell it)
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:54 pm

Gungnir wrote:That's a quick fix: 6" Range and five-turn limit on being on fire.
I still think that's taking it too far wtih someone being on fire. After just one turn, especially with a lot of minifigs, it's harder to keep track of who's taking extra fire damage still. Warhead's got it spot on with just 2 turns. Think about it: 2d6 damage initial hit, fire starts to die after a turn so half the damage to 1d6, half the damage again for the next turn and it's close to zero damage, 0d6, so he's not on fire anymore.

Even with reduced range these flamers can still reach. I only reduced the range to compensate for the area effect ability. With that you are getting 2-3 extra inches. Just that small amount of space could save a minifig from getting wrecked from an area effect damage of 2d6, plus a 1d6 next turn.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:18 pm

MicVash wrote:
Gungnir wrote:That's a quick fix: 6" Range and five-turn limit on being on fire.
I still think that's taking it too far wtih someone being on fire. After just one turn, especially with a lot of minifigs, it's harder to keep track of who's taking extra fire damage still. Warhead's got it spot on with just 2 turns. Think about it: 2d6 damage initial hit, fire starts to die after a turn so half the damage to 1d6, half the damage again for the next turn and it's close to zero damage, 0d6, so he's not on fire anymore.

Even with reduced range these flamers can still reach. I only reduced the range to compensate for the area effect ability. With that you are getting 2-3 extra inches. Just that small amount of space could save a minifig from getting wrecked from an area effect damage of 2d6, plus a 1d6 next turn.
Alright. I agree on 5 turns being hard to keep track of. I didn't think about that.
The range, on the other hand, I'm leaving as is. Most flamethrowers spray a 30' jet of flame, so running the scale down to minifig-size, 6" makes a good amount of sense. And the AOE should only apply to wherever the flame hits, since the fuel doesn't actually scatter until it hits something. A 1" radius AOE should be enough.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:44 pm

In the area affected you have a 50/50 chance of it missing you, only the target has a higher chance to be hit. So even on a high roll for area affected it's not necessarily a disaster. And a 2D6 roll could roll fairly low, if your lucky. 1/3 chance...ish for a moderate trooper with a 4-5 armour save.

Besides, if you group your troops like a spamhead you deserve to be roasted to death. I cringe when playing forum battles and see my guys huddling in a mass.
Saving Private Ryan - Sergeant Horvath: giving some last minuet advice wrote: I wanna see plenty of beach between men. Five men is a juicy opportunity, one man's a waste of ammo.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Warhead wrote: I cringe when playing forum battles and see my guys huddling in a mass.

Perhaps your men gain strength from the sexual tension.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:40 pm

Ah-Hahaha... :lol: Bastard. :wink:

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:21 pm

Warhead wrote:
Saving Private Ryan - Sergeant Horvath: giving some last minuet advice wrote: I wanna see plenty of beach between men. Five men is a juicy opportunity, one man's a waste of ammo.
I badly need to take this advice. Y'see, this is how my guys keep getting massacred by overkill.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

mm233
Officer

Post by mm233 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:05 pm

Nice...

Magic Soap
Playmobil

Post by Magic Soap » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:01 pm

^He's not naked, he's obviously meant to represent a test unit/dummy.
Or, he's a faceless nude zombie.

Tuefish
Dimmy

Post by Tuefish » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Easier fix: when you need the flame pieces elsewhere, the fire is out.
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back." -Malcolm Reynolds

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Yep, that's how I do it. Usually the action has moved on anyway so no big deal.

Magic Soap
Playmobil

Post by Magic Soap » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:43 am

I give flame weapons a base damage, lower than projectiles or most melee weapons. The flame then stays and does half-damage until put out physically or until the object has taken more damage either through combined firing later on or from HP taken away. This makes them useful for making it easier for other troops to finish them off later on. Also, this means flamers are good at burning down log cabins and the ilk. Unless things are flame-retardant, my rules above apply. Hope that makes sense to y'all.

Venge
there are no brakes on the ban train

Re:

Post by Venge » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:06 am

Warhead wrote:anything less than 6" is a waist of time.
:twss: :necro:
Formerly known as TheVengefulOne. Times banned by Natalya: 10 (+ 1 alt).

My BrikWars Stuff: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16684

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/