Drop pod one man

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

OREMAWESOME1234
Cannon Fodder

Post by OREMAWESOME1234 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:15 am

We don't care if the enemy sees the pods. When we drop pods we have already engaged with the enemy

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:28 am

OREMAWESOME1234 wrote:We don't care if the enemy sees the pods. When we drop pods we have already engaged with the enemy
Jesus Christ, did you not read any of the discussion? The problem is getting there, without getting shot down by flak guns and other anti-air/missile defense systems.

And no, you haven't already engaged the enemy. They the pods coming in from orbit all the way in, oh I don't know, FUCKING SPACE. Do you have any idea how far away space is? Gives them plenty of time to organize a counter-strike so that if you do engage them, you'll be hopelessly outnumbered through a combination of lost pods and the enemy being prepared for your dumbass attempt at stealth.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Elmagnifico
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Elmagnifico » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:19 pm

"Captain, missiles that don't blow up make me nervous." -Zoe from a Firefly comic I read recently?

Anyway, I agree with the others, your greebling skills have backfired on you here, this thing needs to be more bulky and durable-looking. Also, that mech-pod picture is priceless.
READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:36 pm

If you want a stealth drop pod to make sense, & not create burning skid marks across the sky. You would need to build a low profile/stealth ship to drop them in low orbit.... But of course, you could just do a HALO jump at that point, but a drop pod could bring troops in faster & closer together for a surprise attack, or swift capture of facilities...

OREMAWESOME1234
Cannon Fodder

Post by OREMAWESOME1234 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:26 pm

aoffan23 wrote:
OREMAWESOME1234 wrote:We don't care if the enemy sees the pods. When we drop pods we have already engaged with the enemy
Jesus Christ, did you not read any of the discussion? The problem is getting there, without getting shot down by flak guns and other anti-air/missile defense systems.

And no, you haven't already engaged the enemy. They the pods coming in from orbit all the way in, oh I don't know, FUCKING SPACE. Do you have any idea how far away space is? Gives them plenty of time to organize a counter-strike so that if you do engage them, you'll be hopelessly outnumbered through a combination of lost pods and the enemy being prepared for your dumbass attempt at stealth.
I mean other men(not from drop pods) I deploy them behind my lines as reinforcements and plus we'd equip them with thrusters or launch then during a meteor shower as camoflage

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:07 pm

So, you're saying that you're going to launch your drop pods... while there's thousands or possibly millions of chunks of space rock in their path... yeah, good luck with that.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:42 pm

I guess the drop pod works for large scale assaults but it seems like we need a whole different vehicle for orbital stealth insertion?

I'm on it.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:49 am

You could just those lightning-pod-things from War of the Worlds. Jump your troops right into underground mechs.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 pm

That's not what was in War Of The Worlds. The tripods were already underground; the lightning was the aliens teleporting down into them.

Or at least that's what I remember from the book.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:26 pm

OneEye589 wrote:That's not what was in War Of The Worlds. The tripods were already underground; the lightning was the aliens teleporting down into them.

Or at least that's what I remember from the book.
That's exactly what I'm saying.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:47 am

Oh, I read it stupid. I thought you meant they lightninged the mechs into the ground.

According to Firefox, lightninged is a word.

fredde
Cannon Fodder

Post by fredde » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:35 pm

woah thats quite a discussion but i have to agree on most points but i never really imagined my drop pod to be dropped from orbit i thought more like from a relatively highflying dropship and the pods would be loaded with supplies like rockets for rocket troops.
would make an interesting addition in forumbattles i think of course you could simply drop the pod on the enemy if you want.
Natalya wrote: Fredde, you don't win the internet with this.

You ARE the Internet.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:41 pm

Oh look a ship we can't account for breaking into our orbit and causing another thermal flare from re-entry even though it quite clearly has the word "Stealth" written boldly on the sides. I have a strange and vague yet compelling desire to launch lots of guided missile weapons at it just like I would for any suspicious space debris that doesn't break up or that makes a controlled entry as I am a paranoid and slightly mad Space Tyrant who has forgotten how to punctuate.

fredde
Cannon Fodder

Post by fredde » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:50 pm

I never meant for it to be stealthy and im sure ecm and countermeausures could hold the missiles off while the ship drops the pod
and escapes
Natalya wrote: Fredde, you don't win the internet with this.

You ARE the Internet.

Cpl. Halan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cpl. Halan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:54 pm

You do know that has six entries in Famous Last Words
Fire, Fire, burning bright
Burning down the house tonight

Heroism is not the ability to kick ass. It is the willingness to use this ability on any poor bastard who so much as looks at you funny.