Tourist
17%
Valkyrie
4%
Wizard
9%

Total votes : 23

Postby naussica » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:32 pm

I played nethack today, and I love it! Shopkeepers can be real dicks. I learned about the hiding mimics the hard way lol. I tried getting away, but the fucking shopkeeper wouldn't move! I got killed and he looted me! I also did pretty good in one game, then I died of food poisoning :(. I'm playing the graphical version right now. I think I'll try the traditional version tommorow.
naussica
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Butthurt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:23 pm

naussica wrote:I played nethack today, and I love it! Shopkeepers can be real dicks. I learned about the hiding mimics the hard way lol. I tried getting away, but the fucking shopkeeper wouldn't move! I got killed and he looted me! I also did pretty good in one game, then I died of food poisoning :(. I'm playing the graphical version right now. I think I'll try the traditional version tommorow.

Yeah, we'll be friends after tomorrow. Do you know about Elbereth? It's a good last ditch effort. Shift + e, then - to write with your finger and write Elbereth exactly. Writing with your finger is prone to spelling errors, but you can write it out in 1 turn. If you properly spell it, the mimic will release you and flee on it's next attack turn (given that the correct spelling is still there). Not all monsters respect Elbereth (like @ ..shopkeepers, and Angels and whatnot) steelypips.org/nethack is a good spoiler site and Dylan O'Donnell's Gazetteer is incredibly useful.
Arkbrik wrote:My personal opinion is that both Xbox and PS suck, and you should get a life or download Nethack.

@ <3
Butthurt
is totally an Admin!

Postby Keldoclock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:17 am

booty bothered, you don't use the Hackwiki?

you can identify wands with Elbereth- just write in the dust with your fingers and than try to engrave with the wand Ie:
Fingers Elbereth
Wand Elbereth ftw
if the message dissapears it's a teleportation wand, etc.

You want to write elbereth and not just random things on the chance that you turn out to have a wand of summon monster.

With engravings, if you find Ad Aeirum or similar written somewhere, stand on it and search untill you find a door, open and enter to reach a Vault. You'll have to provide your own way out once you get the money, and if you don't get out fast a guard'll get ya.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Butthurt » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:14 am

man, I've been playing this thing long before Wikihack ever started. I know of it, but don't use it.

(and if you get the "message on the floor/ground vanishes!" it's either a wand of teleportation, cancellation or make invisible. Further zap testing is required)
Arkbrik wrote:My personal opinion is that both Xbox and PS suck, and you should get a life or download Nethack.

@ <3
Butthurt
is totally an Admin!

Postby naussica » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:23 pm

I played the tradtional version and I have to say, I'm impressed. So simple, yet so epic! Though I'm probably going to play the graphical version more, but still I'm going to play the text version every now and then.

I have a really important tip. Never, never ever EVER eat eggs. Every time I eat an egg and it's always rotten. I either die of food poisoning, or I get sick temporarily. And as for kicking doors, it's safe, and fun! The only bad thing that ever happens is that sometimes I pull a muscle, but it heals rather quickly.
naussica
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Arkbrik » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:49 am

naussica wrote:And as for kicking doors, it's safe, and fun!

You have obviously never encountered the horror that is nymphs.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Ross_Varn » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:25 am

Ahaha, nymphs.

"Gimme yer lunch money, kid."
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby naussica » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:24 pm

I don't think I want to meet the nymphs.

Anyways, I did some research, and found that someone beat Nethack in a little over 2600 turns. But it takes the average gamer over 20,000 turns. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Say booty bothered, what's your best score?
naussica
Jaw-Jaw

Postby RunsWithLegos » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:57 pm

OneEye589 wrote:When you download NetHack now there are two different versions of the same game. One has sprites, the other doesn't.

When you download it you will get two files with the NetHack logo. One is NetHack, the other is NetHackW. NetHackW takes up a little more space and when you hover over it it says "Graphical Interface." This is the one with the graphics. Hover over the other one and it will say "TTY Interface." You want that one.

why don't you want graphics?
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby Butthurt » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:32 pm

naussica wrote:Say booty bothered, what's your best score?

I've never actually cared about the actual score number so I couldn't really say. Conducts and goals always appealed to me more than the actual end score.* For a few years, I played only wishless, polyless & genoless games. I tried my hand at speed ascension with dig for victory, but I just didn't enjoy that style of gameplay. I've done extinctionist, pacifist, illiterate (except to read from the Book of the Dead) but never foodless. My ultimate goal is to have 13 consecutive ascensions, one of each class.

*mostly because scores can be artificially inflated (pudding farming, for example)

@ <3
Butthurt
is totally an Admin!

Postby naussica » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Ah, I see. How many floors are there in the game? I always get unlucky and get slaughtered or poisoned on floor 5. I think now, my new favorite class is the archeologist, I've done really well with it.

When it comes to gods, Lugh acts like an ass to whenever I'm a knight. I prayed to him, and he cut my maximum hp to 7. Then he says "Return to your teachings!"

Also, today I played the shortest Nethack game ever. There was one door, opened it, it was a dead end.
naussica
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Arkbrik » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:36 am

That's when you start mashing the s button.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Previous

Return to blah blah minecraft