Rule refinement

This is the forum for people who prefer a Dimmy-free conversation. Whether or not you're considered a Dimmy on any given day is entirely up to Blitzen. No whining!

Moderator: Blitzen

Postby Blitzen » Sat May 10, 2008 9:48 pm

IVhorseman wrote:you hadn't responded yet, so i was hoping maybe you hadn't looked yet.

Nah. I was actually hoping that someone else would post since "Medik. Let's freaking do it. " Isn't quite as detailed as a stat card needs to be. I waiting for expansion, but wasn't aware that you had done it.

First draft:Image
This is obviously not final. I would appreciate nice names if the abilities, and don't expect the first one to stay the same. :)
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Postby IVhorseman » Sat May 10, 2008 11:15 pm

hooray! now we just need to clean up the text to be interesting and witty! i'll get started right away on that.

as a minor note, let's bump revival up to 4CP, and the neurotic sense of duty to -2CP. it's the same total CP, but -1 CP to essentially work as a medik for the other team should be worth a lot more than -1. another possible fix is to keep CP the same, but just let the medik move towards any corpse, so long as movement is towards A corpse. as in, the medik could be 8" from an enemy corpse, but 10" away from a friendly corpse. current rules would make him go towards the enemy, but these allow him to move towards his buddy, making the medik actually taktikally effikiant. Of course, after all of his buddies are revived (or at least all the ones he didn't accidentally kill), he's forced to start reviving enemy soldiers too. that'd be a good one for just -1CP.

anyways yeah, more interesting text, coming your way!

EDIT: part one of that delicious flavour text is served! mike actually gave an excellent description of the obsessive sense of duty back in the medik sector where we were arguing about what to do with em. i'm gonna let ctrl+v do the rest of the work.

Rayhawk wrote:"I've got to do something!": If there are friendly casualties anywhere on the battlefield with their heads still attached, the Medik must run to the nearest one at full speed (Sprinting if possible), regardless of the danger, unless he is restrained somehow.

Further, if there are any savable casualties within 1d6 inches of a Medik, he must attempt to save the nearest one, even if it's an enemy unit - and even if the Medik killed it himself, because that's hilarious.

of course, cut down the text to make it fit, but that's the jist of it. i think cutting down the "within 1d6 inches" clause from 1d6 to 3 or 4, because i don't want to be rolling d6s every time a Medik comes within a distance that could theoretically be reached by enough critical successes (theoretically, infinite).

EDITED EDIT: your main course of flavour has arrived, madamé.

Mediks find a sadistic joy in forcing their fallen comrades to revive again, only to taste death two, three, or perhaps even four times. Every minifig lives in terror of their army's doctor, and prays that this next grenade is their last.

Triage-c Hero+3CP (Hippocratic Hypocrite is another idea i'm tossing around, but i'm note sure how likely the average brikwarrior is to catch either of these puns) A Medik can revive any minifig who has been killed in battle if he makes a successful skill roll against a UR of how many rounds the target unit has been dead. If the Medik can't do it the first try, he severs several major arteries in frustration, permanently killing the minifig.

"I've gotta do SOMETHING!"-1CP (See Mike's quote).

"Medik's Tools" would include a surgeon's knife, so be sure to include the cost of a small CC weapon.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Blitzen » Sun May 11, 2008 12:04 pm

Could you clarify on the Medik's Tools? I'm pretty sure you mean them as an additional weapon under the picture, but I need to be sure.

Also of note is that this total is 6.5CP, which I forgot to mention earlier, which I rounded up to 7CP.

Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen

Postby IVhorseman » Sun May 11, 2008 12:53 pm

Blitzen wrote: mean them as an additional weapon under the picture, but I need to be sure.

yup, sorry about not making that clearer.

i also want to drop the impulsive saving within 1d6 inches to something more managable. like i said, i think rolling an extra d6 every time a medik is even remotely close to a body would slow the game up a LOT. one way to fix this would be to disallow bonus rolls for that check, but that just feels like the quitter's way out. any other suggestions?
IVhorseman

Postby Blitzen » Sun May 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Disallowing bonus rules seems like the most reasonable option.

EDIT: Here we go:

Last edited by Blitzen on Sun May 11, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blitzen

Postby Dr. X » Sun May 11, 2008 1:12 pm

Yes. How the heck do you keep track of the number of rounds each minifig has been dead? Maybe it would work in a small battle but in any battle with over 10 minifigs the players would have a hard time keeping track of how many rounds each dead minifig has been dead for. I suppose you could put a pip (dot, round 1x1 tile, whatever) next to each dead minifig after each round, but that would be a pain, assuming you have enough pips. I suggest a simpler rule that does not involve keeping track of anything.

Healing stuff power: For minifigs, roll 1d6. On a 5 or a 6, the minifig is healed. (1/3 chance of success) For a Hero, roll 1d8. On a 7 or an 8, the Hero is healed. (1/4 chance of success)

On a failure for healing a minifig or Hero, here is something like what was on the Medikal Ker-Triage! table in the 2001 rules (Yes I have printed them out and read them 3 times):

Battlefield stress causes the Mediks hand to accidentally sever twenty or thirty major arteries. The minifig's (or Hero's) status is downgraded from dead to really really dead and cannot be healed again. Place a single pip or marker to show that he is really really dead, or just chuck him in the Dead Box outside of the battlefield.
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby blackwing77 » Sun May 11, 2008 1:57 pm

Extra d6's or d10's work for keeping track of turns something has been dead. As for healing powder, there is no health, things are either dead or alive.
TROLOLO
blackwing77
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Sun May 11, 2008 2:16 pm

Dr. X wrote:Yes. How the heck do you keep track of the number of rounds each minifig has been dead?

it's easy. you don't. the way i figured it, if a minifig's important enough to you that you want to resurrect it, you know approximately how long ago it died. for other minifigs, just knowing "that was like what... 4 turns ago i guess?" is good enough. if you can't even make a good ESTIMATE of how long ago the minifig died, assume that it bled to death, and it's really really dead.

as for the simpler rule, i kindof like it, but it feels like a cop-out. setting a constant UR completely gets rid of the urgency of rushing to a bleeding victim.
IVhorseman

Postby Dr. X » Sun May 11, 2008 2:22 pm

Meh... I still think there should be a different rule besides just estimating.
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby Rayhawk » Sun May 11, 2008 3:41 pm

The number of turns thing has always turned out to be a pain in practice. I think the decapitation test is still best. Everybody can be potentially revived as long as their head is still attached, but if a Medik blows that roll, he also accidentally decapitates them, every time. "Not again! How do I keep doing that?" etc.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby Blitzen » Sun May 11, 2008 3:47 pm

Wait, what? How can a minifig be truly dead, but still have a head?

And using that rule, how would the UR be calculated?
Blitzen

Postby IVhorseman » Sun May 11, 2008 4:10 pm

Blitzen wrote:Wait, what? How can a minifig be truly dead, but still have a head?

And using that rule, how would the UR be calculated?

you know. he's just sitting around with his arms and legs blown off, but he's still alive. just bleeding to death.

there's currently no system implimented for which limbs would get hacked off during death, or that any are at all, and i personally find it a LOT more fun to just decide on the spot what happens. by saying "as long as the head's still attached", you're limiting how minifigs can die, and eliminate the possibility of hilariously re-attaching a head and restoring life. I'd just say to remember which minifigs got a failed revival attempt by just... remembering. if you'd rather keep track in a physical form, you could always sprinkle a few extra red pieces to show the extra blood loss from malpractice.

UR in this sense would be determined by a constant number, which i think would be less fun.
IVhorseman

Postby Blitzen » Sun May 11, 2008 4:16 pm

Yeah, man. When I kill things, the head is <i>never</i> left on like Bonn-o-Tron. That means that I could <i>never</i> use a Medik.

I, too, would find it hilarious to reattach a head. Maybe if it is 1" away? If he fails, you could move it farther, or put a red 1x1 silly on the stump.
Blitzen

Postby IVhorseman » Sun May 11, 2008 4:25 pm

eh. it just feels like we're overthinking this. can the standard brikwarrior remember which minifigs have had a failed surgical attempt, or am i being too hopeful?

on another note, i really want to discourage the thought that how a minifig dies affects it's chances for recovery. if a minifig dies, for any reason, a medik can revive him/her. the only exception to this is when a minifig goes from "Dead" to "super dead".
IVhorseman

Postby Blitzen » Sun May 11, 2008 4:47 pm

IVhorseman wrote:eh. it just feels like we're overthinking this. can the standard brikwarrior remember which minifigs have had a failed surgical attempt, or am i being too hopeful?

Cover it with something, like a circle plate or red silly.

IVhorseman wrote:on another note, i really want to discourage the thought that how a minifig dies affects it's chances for recovery. if a minifig dies, for any reason, a medik can revive him/her. the only exception to this is when a minifig goes from "Dead" to "super dead".

I concur.
Blitzen

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Dimmies