[WIP - Revamp] The Town of Dungeonsville

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

[WIP - Revamp] The Town of Dungeonsville

Post by Olothontor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:23 pm

Hey, all, I'm back in action after a mild spriting depression, with a new(ish) project that my good friend(Hlbeta) and I decided to engage in.

We just started this afternoon (as I type this my partner is typing up a vague design document), and I figured I might get a headstart on some generic dungeon-y tiles to get a feel for the game. It's going to be a rogue-like, something along the lines of IVAN or the graphical Nethack tilesets, with some bits of Dwarf Fortress thrown in for kicks. Basically a mishmash of some of our favorite things, combined with some original craziness of our own.

Some of you might recognize the people sprites; they're from an old failed project that I was working on called SIN.

Enjoy the eyecandy :wink:

Last edited by Olothontor on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

HLBeta
BrikWars Legend

Re: [WIP - Revamp] The Town of Dungeonsville

Post by HLBeta » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:05 pm

Olothontor wrote:It's going to be a rogue-like, something along the lines of IVAN or the graphical Nethack tilesets, with some bits of Dwarf Fortress thrown in for kicks. Basically a mishmash of some of our favorite things, combined with some original craziness of our own.
As the aforementioned friend in charge of setting design goals and conceptualizing the game, I feel obligated to clarify upon these points. The basic goal here is to make a fairly generic rogue-like with a more concrete sense of character legacy than most games in the genre have. This would be done through the Town of Dungeonsville itself, which would grow over time with the player's victories and remain consistent between character deaths. The exact complexity and nature of the town mechanics are still being debated but should at least provide scalar and consistently generating shops and possibly much more depending on coding team time and proficiency.

I'll keep adding to this post as my side of the project becomes more developed, whenever that may happen to cross my mind.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 pm

I'm not sure if you're looking for any other contributers, but this looks like a really fun project. I'd love to help with it, although I'd be more in the ideas/a bit of spriting area, since I know nothing about game design.

If you're not looking for any other people, I don't mind, just thought this looked fun.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: [WIP - Revamp] The Town of Dungeonsville

Post by stubby » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:54 am

HLBeta wrote:The basic goal here is to make a fairly generic rogue-like with a more concrete sense of character legacy than most games in the genre have. This would be done through the Town of Dungeonsville itself, which would grow over time with the player's victories and remain consistent between character deaths. The exact complexity and nature of the town mechanics are still being debated but should at least provide scalar and consistently generating shops and possibly much more depending on coding team time and proficiency.
This sounds a lot like DF's Adventure Mode after the last couple of updates.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks for the clarification, HLBeta.

Minor update time! I made a simple dirt tile, and ported over some of the armors I was working on for SIN as well. They need a ton of work, feel free to make suggestions on improvements. Also started working on dreaded transition tiles (I'm thinking currently of having only one or two transition tiles into and out of stone so that I don't have to do a bunch of different transition squares for all five types of stonework so far).

Updates added to the OP.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Fulizer
Minifig

Post by Fulizer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Looks Like Win, the town things sounds like good fun and could create some severe (in a good way) atmposphere. Try using a random NPC generator and giving everything Permadeath (if appliccable)

HLBeta
BrikWars Legend

Post by HLBeta » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:23 pm

Fulizer wrote:Looks Like Win, the town things sounds like good fun and could create some severe (in a good way) atmposphere. Try using a random NPC generator and giving everything Permadeath (if appliccable)
Current plans for the town make it a sort of glorified menu structure via sidescroller-esque travel with no possibility of combat. It is my hope that this will permit us to make the Town itself more visually interesting and serve to emphasize the difference between the Town and traditional rogue-like gameplay, while also keeping the playerbase from doing stupid crap like teaching their dogs to shoplift in order to get free stuff.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:51 pm

Second update!

Pretty minor. Worked out a new template for the characters with the help of HLBeta, and began working/porting weapons from Sin. So far they look... displeasing. Not sure what went wrong.

Adding to the OP now.
-=[ Visage ]=-

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:14 pm

The orange-clothed guys look very unfinished, which means they probably are. Wait, I think they're templates. If they are, then there's no problem.

The weapons look pretty nice, except the brass (bronze?) shields are too cluttered, making them resemble gemstones more than shields.

I'd like to see the fog overlay done on the characters placed on a tile, because it looks good so far on just the tile, but it might look worse on the characters.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:20 pm

I'll do that after I finish reworking the character to fit the template that you appear to have mistaken for a legit sprite. Here's to hoping everything goes smoothly.
-=[ Visage ]=-

HLBeta
BrikWars Legend

Post by HLBeta » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:59 am

Olothontor wrote:Second update!

Pretty minor. Worked out a new template for the characters with the help of HLBeta, and began working/porting weapons from Sin. So far they look... displeasing. Not sure what went wrong.

Adding to the OP now.
Fun fact: The rightmost template guy was drawn by yours truly in an attempt to illustrate the idea of setting aside particular parts of the character tile for overlaying equipment. Olothontor then labored hard to make it look less terrible, resulting in the two models to the left.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Programmer art. It happens.

I'll probably decrease the size of that ridiculous head of his. For now, though (and I post this solely so that I will have told someone other than HLBeta that I should do it), I have overworld buildings to work on for Dungeonsville itself (around which the game is centered, in case you weren't aware).

The overworld will stray far and beyond your traditional rogue-like interface; we're actually portraying the overworld in a sort of platformer-esque format, as (and I quote HLBeta here) a sort of "glorified menu screen." The player will move across town on a horizontal plane and be able to enter the various buildings and conduct business with the NPCs inside, whether this be bartering with the Blacksmith for weapons and armor or traveling into the woods for the magical assistance of the local Druidic cult.
-=[ Visage ]=-