Transformers

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Transformers

Postby Robot Monkey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

I can't believe we don't have a transformers thread.

I'll start the discussion(s) with

OMEGA PRIME
He's what you get when you combine Collector's Ultra Magnus with Collector's Optimus Prime.

He's tall, standing just about over a foot.

I see you...
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:23 pm

Transformers suck. Oh, look I can be a truck... so fucking what. Lame Jap crap. And the films sucked too.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Robot Monkey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Warhead wrote:Transformers suck. Oh, look I can be a truck... so fucking what. Lame Jap crap. And the films sucked too.

Well, G1 and Armada were great.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby Zahru II » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:36 pm

As a major transfan, I have to disagree with you Warhead. Transformers are awesome in their own ways. But yes, the films were bad.
Also, they're totally western product, albeit they were based on japanese toys recycled and renamed at start.

@Robot Monkey: people like g1 because they are neckbeards who nostalgasm on it on a daily basis. It set the basics, and I like the characters and design, but as a show, it was horrible. So was Armada.

If we're talking about fiction, check Beast Wars or Animated. Well-written, fun characters, good plot on both.

I am quite the collector and nerd of the subject, many may have noticed my shelf getting into shots during forum-battles. But here he is in full glory:

Nevertheless, I'm happy to see this topic and would like to have an elevated discussion about transforming robots.
Last edited by Zahru II on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Robot Monkey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:41 pm

beast wars? Animated?

:my floppy penis:, Zahru?

Those are an insult to Transformers.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby Ross_Varn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:28 pm

Zahru...

...that is amazing.

Wow.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Robot Monkey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:34 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:Zahru...

...that is amazing.

Wow.

Do I see some Armada Transformers in there?

And also, all mechas cry themselves to sleep, wishing they were Transformers.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby Hoboman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:48 pm

He even has some Power Rangers in the shot.

Zahru II wrote:As a major transfan......

Quite the collection you have going there.
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
Hoboman
My Little Pony

Postby aoffan23 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:08 pm

I couldn't stand the Transformers shows. I saw Armada and Cybertron, those were painfully reminiscent of crappy Anime. Seriously, the voicing was just terrible, and the explosions were purple and yellow.

Beasties/Beast Machines (I have no idea what the difference is) was pretty much the same, but they were crappily-voiced animals instead of cars.

When Animated came out, I thought it was crap, and the transforming was way too amoeba-ish. But when I think about it, the characters themselves were a lot more well-done, and their voices actually fit. However, I still hate the little girl.

The new movie (first one) did a great job of redesigning and modernizing the transformers themselves, but as a movie it was meh.

As for the toys, I have always loved them. Unfortunately, I have never owned a single one.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby Zahru II » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:17 am

Robot Monkey wrote:Those are an insult to Transformers.

Really? Why? 'Trukk not Munky' is not a valid argument.

On the other hand, your Omega Prime is quite nice, not as clusterfuck as I thought it'd turn out. I especially like the shifting of colors from red to blue going from top to bottom, like some sort of rainbow. Mais, where's the BFG of Ultra Magnus?

Robot Monkey wrote:Do I see some Armada Transformers in there?

Yeah, I have some Unicron trilogy toys, despite my dislike of the shows, the toys are fun. I'd give my firstborn for a Unicron.

aoffan23 wrote: I saw Armada and Cybertron, those were painfully reminiscent of crappy Anime.

Because those were anime in the first place and got dubbed to the us.

aoffan23 wrote:Beasties/Beast Machines (I have no idea what the difference is) was pretty much the same, but they were crappily-voiced animals instead of cars.

Beasties is the Canadian title for Beast WArs. And crappy voices? Wth man, those were characterful voices, and quite a treat to my ears.

aoffan23 wrote:However, I still hate the little girl.

Yeah, human characters aren't always good, but imo Sari is one of the better ones. And if you check her season three...

aoffan23 wrote:The new movie (first one) did a great job of redesigning and modernizing the transformers themselves, but as a movie it was meh.

Well, I quite agree and not with this at the same time. My only gripe is that they're overcomplicated and complex only for the sake of complexity.
Zahru II

Postby Robot Monkey » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:38 am

Zahru, I have a Unicron. He kicks ass. I really hate how during the "Unicron Battles" phase of Armada they repainted all of the Transformers, including MEGATRON. They painted him purple and white and re-named him "Galvatron."
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby Zahru II » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:02 am

Well, repaints have to be done, because making molds for figures are expensive and this way they can earn more cash with one mold. Albeit repainting a character into another one is quite redundant. Take the latest lines: they repaint figures, but as different characters, and sometimes even remold parts to further differentiate them.

The whole Megatron to Galvatron thing was overused during armada-energon-cybertron, but those had anime roots, where midseason upgrades and powerups are common, so you can somewhat understand it. Personally, I like to think about Megatron and Galvatron as separate entities, like they are now in the IDW comicbooks.

Also RM, if you like Armada, give the comics a try, it takes a very different take: same characters, completely different plot, a bit convoluted for me, but in overall good.
Zahru II

Postby Robot Monkey » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:23 am

Wait, the comics that came with the figures? Or did they make seperate comics?

And I'm glad to hear that Megatron and Galvatron are separate entities. Another repaint problem I have is the whole StarScream/ThunderCracker/SkyWarp issue. That's three different Transformers, which tend to be the same figure, repainted over and over.

And that's Ultra Magnus. He Transforms into a car carrier.

Add Optimus Prime, and you get Omega Prime.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby Zahru II » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:33 pm

Well, don't get me wrong there: Galvatron IS Megatron in most fiction (even in g1: go check the 1986 movie), only in the IDW comics continuity, they're not.

I didn't meant the pack-in comics, I was referring the ones published by the now bankrupt publisher Dreamwave. They're cheap nowadays but you'll have to ebay them or do a little hunt.

I like seekers, but yes they're pretty redundant. On the other side, though there is the Prowl-Bluestreak-Smokescreen trio, who share mostly the sam mold. The coneheads (Dirge, Thrust and Ramjet) are a bit better, because they have different wings and so.

Also, your yellow Prime was a store exclusive, so he kinda worths more then the regular red one. Also, that magnus has severe lacking of tires :lol:

Can you do a group shot of your guys? I'm curious.
Zahru II

Postby Robot Monkey » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:03 pm

All my tires kinda, er... Disentegrated. And I'll see if I can get a group shot.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Next

Return to General Discussion