Mass amounts of minifigs?

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Alasdair
God of BrikWars

Mass amounts of minifigs?

Post by Alasdair » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm trying to get minifigs for brickwars purposes - currently the cheapest way I can see to do this is to order large amounts of minifigs from the soccer theme on bricklink (there are sellers with loads of them going for 1 dollar a piece), which I can then mod with decals etc.

This seems the cheapest option so far - anybody else got a better way to buy bulk amounts of minifigs for cheap?

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:00 pm

paruse garage sales, buy/get old lego from friends and family has worked well for me.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Battlepacks.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:19 pm

bricklink is probably the best if you arn't too picky about which minnifigs you want. Just make sure that you pick a store that is near where you live, as shipping and handleing is a major expense and can make a huge difference in the value of your order.

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Re: Mass amounts of minifigs?

Post by Hoboman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Alasdair wrote:I'm trying to get minifigs for brickwars purposes - currently the cheapest way I can see to do this is to order large amounts of minifigs from the soccer theme on bricklink (there are sellers with loads of them going for 1 dollar a piece), which I can then mod with decals etc.

This seems the cheapest option so far - anybody else got a better way to buy bulk amounts of minifigs for cheap?
If you go this route then here is a PDF telling how to remove the paint from a minifigure and how to apply decals.

http://www.fineclonier.com/Decal_Application.pdf

But if you are going to use an opaque decal you do not even need to remove the paint. But to really look good you want to remove the paint and use a good quality decal material. This would allow you to get lots of cheep minifigs and then have a great custom army.

Just a thought.
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:16 am

That's one way to do it, for sure. Battlepacks may or may not be better, as they have parts in them as well- that clone trooper pack with the scout walker comes to mind.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:51 am

Yeah I've been going with Star Wars battle packs thus far... it's really not a bad deal for a hand full of figs and some keen parts. It's not a great deal but for buying first hand sets right from Lego... it's not a bad deal either.

My wife did find a soccer set at a garage sale... I despise all of those figures and now I have a pile of these funny shaped green bases that I can't seem to find a good use for. The minifigs are only viable if they are covered in armor =P That's must my opinion though; I'm not a fan of the City and Sports product lines.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:09 am

The soccer idea sounds the best, I'd never actually heard of doing that. Cheap, and they have a bunch of different faces, too.

If you're going to equip them, you'll have to Bricklink some weapons, although SW blasters or revolvers shouldn't be that hard to get. The battle packs would make some nice additions to your army, they could be nice hero/officer/elite units, and they all have some sort of support weapon/vehicle, too.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:02 pm

City line is pretty great, lots of scenery and vehicles to destructify. Civilians to be slaughtered too.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Piroko
Champion
Champion

Post by Piroko » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:14 am

morganm wrote:Yeah I've been going with Star Wars battle packs thus far... it's really not a bad deal for a hand full of figs and some keen parts. It's not a great deal but for buying first hand sets right from Lego... it's not a bad deal either.
The toy story green army men were also good if you swap them out with heads and hands from rebel alliance kits.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:02 pm

I like my green-skins the way they are.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Nitewatchman
Dimmy

Post by Nitewatchman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:44 pm

I actually have a squad that I made using old soccer torsos. I'd say those are the best, since they were just blue and all the numbers and whatnot were stick-on.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman