Building large scale battlefields

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

OneEye589
Pooplord

Building large scale battlefields

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:54 pm

So I want to do a forum battle or some kind of big Brikwar. I don't have tons of good building pieces and I want to make an epic field. I have an area that's a decent size (4.5 32x32 baseplates by 3.5 32x32 baseplates), but I need to fill it with stuff. This mostly goes out those those of you who have really large battles on only baseplates (Nataya and Warhead are who I'm thinking of mostly).

I only have one raised baseplate and I would rather not have to buy more bricks. What's the way to get the most out of my bricks for an entertaining battlefield?

At the moment I have some BURPs next to the raised baseplate and plan to extend the level over to make a nice plateau. I have some grey and road baseplates near that and the rest are green. I have a couple types of large fences to use and lots of other random pieces to fill space.

Let's make some suggestions for everyone so we can all make awesome battlefields. Suggestions on how to get the most out of our battlefields.

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Lots of pre-made wreckage. It gives it a "Apocalyptic" feel and provides decent cover and terrain.

Swordsalmon
Nice TRIPS

Post by Swordsalmon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:36 pm

Add a house or two, and a wall. Those help with everything.
Keldoclock wrote:Swordsalmon: Argues about the price of bits of plastic, yet happily forks over $1 for a quarter-sized bit of plastic that does nothing but look cool.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:45 am

There are a few ways to create ossum battlefeilds, I did a hell of a lot of work with this a good number of years back, but most of that lego was given away/sold.

Anyways, you have to consider things both tactically and aesthetically.

If you are willing to use advanced techniques and a good number of parts, you could go for raised terrain. This creates rolling hills and plains, and is a great way to seriously spice up the average flat battlefield. Additionally, you can make trenches, foxholes, and possibly even underground bunkers! This is done like so:

If you don't have the parts or time for that, another way to utilize what you have is to do the following-

Have the raised baseplate in the center, and some form of structure on it. This is done to draw the eye towards the piece, and also creates an obvious capture and control point for both armies. Feel free to put some weapons crates and flags and shit up here.

Use grey baseplates and roads together, build as many buildings as you can manage without using rainbow(windows as firing ports, walls for cover, always keep in mind how the players may use this). Gas stations are great, 'cause they explode!

Put some civilians around here, have a few of their vehicles going down the road. having 1.5 vehicles per road plate is generally a good rule of thumb.

Drop all of your trees in the green areas, feel free to use whatever blue plates may be laying around to make some pretty streams in there. If you make it large enough, it can be an fun obstacle!

Keep BURPS near what is supposed to be natural rock formations, and build a bit on them to try to disguise their cookie-cutter BURP-ness.

Utilize those fences near the town, or if they are brown you can try putting them down near the jungle, and have that as a starting point for one of the armies.

Hopefully I've been of aid!
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:22 am

You can easily make some hills ans such with those plates if you have them:

Like this where I had added some plants as well. Looked pretty good (before parts of it got blasted away)

If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Started building and already have a basic idea of what I'm gonna do as far as setting-wise. I don't have tons of basic building bricks, so I'm just trying to fill up the space with whatever pieces I can find a lot of and utilize in some way. Thanks for the tips so far, guys.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:40 pm

I'm just learning too but feel free to use anything you can find that might help.

http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopi ... 61&start=0

The last entry update on the front page is a link for a bombed out structure, it used less briks the more holes you have in it.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:37 pm

well, if you just worry about the outsides of the buildings, and primarily only from the sides that you primarily look at them from. You can just place a few strategic pieces where other walls are. (so basically make a series of Facades) especially for buildings on the edge of the field, middle placed ones should be more fleshed out. Small buildings tend to be a waste of space, as people rarely ever will even think about the possibility of utilizing them tactically. SO make a few bib buildings rather than a lot of small buildings.

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:01 pm

The firght between Natalya, Tuefish, & me didn't require too many bricks on the field.

http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5823

The large walls on my side were made using 6 pieces. If you have plate pieces you can make some hasty building with them, or at least a sturdy wall for cover. Also you can do a mine field or an AT mine field, all you would need is a sign, and it makes for an interesting obstruction. If you have blue plates, water obstacles should be fun too.....

Ranger S2H
Minifig
Location: deep in dimmy territory, fighting the hordes from the inside.

Post by Ranger S2H » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:19 pm

some day i'm going to create a huge urban diorama, trying to capture the atmosphere of the battle for stalingrad. a stalemate where both sides are waitting for an attack, with no clear battle lines. just no mans land with a few MG nests. where troops of both sides occupy two stories of the same building, without a way to get to eachother, where entire streets are impassible because there is a single sniper on one end, but noone knows which end it is.

the other thing Ill be trying to do is to build two armies, but to make sure neither of them look like the bad guys, because hey, thats war.
- I refuse to be stopped by something as irrelevant as logic, the laws of physics, or common sense -

if 20 chickens can fit in a brick, how many pingpongballs does a crocodile have to eat so it can swim faster than a washing machine?

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Scrapped my old one, started work on a new one. Not sure how large it's going to be, probably 3 baseplates by 4.5 baseplates.

So far at one end have a Goatse Bunker type situation, only thing I've worked on. Lava pool surrounding some sort of structure that I only have the base for. Crappy pics because of bad lighting in my room at 9PM.

There's gonna be a lot more on the structure and more detail. From the front you can see the start of a road that will also have more done to it. I should be able to make it go straight down the center all the way down the battlefield.

So what other things do you guys want to see? I don't have a lot of bulk bricks, so large structures like the usual death walls are sort of out at the moment. I was thinking maybe some smaller structures scattered about. Any ideas that you guys really want to see? No promises.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:17 pm

I think that a river streching across the battlefield, some trees, some flowers and some animals would fit.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:18 pm

I'll see what I can do about some water.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Carnivorous animals. Because bunnies just don't cut it.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:47 pm

Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.