Custom designed minifig

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Houndis
Officer

Post by Houndis » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:12 pm

IV, what do you mean with the CC of 10"? Do you mean his stats are decreased if someone get 10" away of him? That is somewhat complex. And that rocket-shooting guy should be very lucky to get that sniper down, if he isn't able to shoot the sniper directly.
But yeah, in big games the 30" might be enough, but we have been using 16", plus the sniper specialty of +4" range. Maybe we should increase the range, because we're starting to use the 1 shot per 2 turns -thing.

It was just when you said that CP is for little girls, when something snapped in my head. So sorry that I acted aggressively, I just had to protect my honor.

I'd go with King, 3" might be too slow. 4" is still slower than most of the troops. And for the armor, which has been left opened, I have three alternatives: 1d4, 1d6 and 1d6-1. They are all varying, so you have some excitement.

King: I don't what to do in USA, but a store in neighbour city (some 30 min away) sells packets with following dices: 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d10, 1d12. I also got a 1d20 from The Hobitt boardgame. And DarkWolf, d10s are completely real. They're somewhat the shape of diamond.
Elämän tie läpi varjojen vie.
~Terapia
<><

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:18 pm

DarkWolf wrote:
King of Brix wrote:I don't like CP either. Also, how about we settle for 4" movement? 3 inches would usually leave them vulnerable to attack, wouldn't it? Also, where do you get all of these different kinds of dice :?: :evil: I have a handful of d6s and thats it. Where to get: d10s, d20s, etc.
d20's are real, I've got a couple from the Star Wars Miniatures sets, but d10's are completely made up. It's actually 2d6-2. That's in the Core Rules somewhere, I think. Been a while since I checked. The only thing I did check recently was Collision Damage about halfway into a solo skirmish I played last night (Once the stupid thing is written up, you'll love the opening bloodshed)
d10s are not fake, that's just a suggestion if you don't have any. There are pictures of them everywhere.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

DarkWolf
Officer

Post by DarkWolf » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:19 pm

Houndis wrote:IV, what do you mean with the CC of 10"? Do you mean his stats are decreased if someone get 10" away of him? That is somewhat complex. And that rocket-shooting guy should be very lucky to get that sniper down, if he isn't able to shoot the sniper directly.
But yeah, in big games the 30" might be enough, but we have been using 16", plus the sniper specialty of +4" range. Maybe we should increase the range, because we're starting to use the 1 shot per 2 turns -thing.

It was just when you said that CP is for little girls, when something snapped in my head. So sorry that I acted aggressively, I just had to protect my honor.

I'd go with King, 3" might be too slow. 4" is still slower than most of the troops. And for the armor, which has been left opened, I have three alternatives: 1d4, 1d6 and 1d6-1. They are all varying, so you have some excitement.

King: I don't what to do in USA, but a store in neighbour city (some 30 min away) sells packets with following dices: 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d10, 1d12. I also got a 1d20 from The Hobitt boardgame. And DarkWolf, d10s are completely real. They're somewhat the shape of diamond.
Ok, A) what part of 'Ranged Ego' didn't you understand in the intitial post of this monster of a thread, and B), sorry, I had no idea about the d10's, I havn't been seeing to many different die recently. I've got 7d6 and 2d20s, and that's all.
"For every battle honour, a thousand heros die alone, unsung and unremembered"
--Anonymous
"Glory to the first man to die!"
--Commissar saying
"When in doubt, empty the magazine!"
--Steel Legion motto

Houndis
Officer

Post by Houndis » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:32 pm

DarkWolf wrote:Ok, A) what part of 'Ranged Ego' didn't you understand in the intitial post of this monster of a thread, and B), sorry, I had no idea about the d10's, I havn't been seeing to many different die recently. I've got 7d6 and 2d20s, and that's all.
Well, let's start from the basics. So, he receives penalty if ANYONE gets near him? Friend or foe? And for the penalty. What would it include, when shooting is just 1d2, and skill is needed in almost nothing else (maybe sprinting, but that's it). Would it reduce his already small movement and armor? And sorry if these are explained in detail in the first post, my memory isn't the best.

Hmm, and here I thought that d10s were somewhat common. Oh well, you can't learn if you are always right. If I'm not mistaken, a d10 is even in the avatar gallery, so you can check how it looks from there, if you are curious.
~Terapia
<><

DarkWolf
Officer

Post by DarkWolf » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:40 pm

Houndis wrote:
DarkWolf wrote:Ok, A) what part of 'Ranged Ego' didn't you understand in the intitial post of this monster of a thread, and B), sorry, I had no idea about the d10's, I havn't been seeing to many different die recently. I've got 7d6 and 2d20s, and that's all.
Well, let's start from the basics. So, he receives penalty if ANYONE gets near him? Friend or foe? And for the penalty. What would it include, when shooting is just 1d2, and skill is needed in almost nothing else (maybe sprinting, but that's it). Would it reduce his already small movement and armor? And sorry if these are explained in detail in the first post, my memory isn't the best.

Hmm, and here I thought that d10s were somewhat common. Oh well, you can't learn if you are always right. If I'm not mistaken, a d10 is even in the avatar gallery, so you can check how it looks from there, if you are curious.
The penalty is basically -1 on everything (moving, armor, stealth, ect. ect.), except sniping, but he can't use the sniper attack inside a range of 10" and yes, either Friend or Foe will trigger this. So, if anyone get's too close, the Sniper becomes half a regular minifig, stat wise at least.
--Anonymous
--Commissar saying
--Steel Legion motto

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:12 pm

What do you think about balancing around the fact that he's completely paranoid about being detected? Maybe he can only snipe if he's hiding at least 5" from any other spot he's sniped from previously.

DarkWolf
Officer

Post by DarkWolf » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:18 pm

Rayhawk wrote:What do you think about balancing around the fact that he's completely paranoid about being detected? Maybe he can only snipe if he's hiding at least 5" from any other spot he's sniped from previously.
Sounds good, but if your using multiple snipers it becomes confusing to remember which ones have fired and which ones have been hiding in that bush since the start of the battle waiting for someone to walk into his gun sight ('Oh, we have now reached the second part of our tour. This is the Stationariuous Noobus, also commonly referred to as the 'American Camper'
--Anonymous
--Commissar saying
--Steel Legion motto

Silent Mobius
Nice Dubs

Post by Silent Mobius » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:21 pm

Rayhawk wrote:What do you think about balancing around the fact that he's completely paranoid about being detected? Maybe he can only snipe if he's hiding at least 5" from any other spot he's sniped from previously.
And if hes paranoid then shouldn't he have to change sniping spots after each shot? Because in other games after you kill someone as a sniper and you don't move the other player will come and kill you because they know where you are.

And should the spots reset every other spot he hides in? There is only so much room in a battle field. Minifigs are prone to forget things so maybe everyonce in awhile they hide in a previous spot.
Get that corn outta my face!

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:39 pm

Silent Mobius wrote:
And if hes paranoid then shouldn't he have to change sniping spots after each shot? Because in other games after you kill someone as a sniper and you don't move the other player will come and kill you because they know where you are.

And should the spots reset every other spot he hides in? There is only so much room in a battle field. Minifigs are prone to forget things so maybe everyonce in awhile they hide in a previous spot.
you know mike, you may be on to something! i like this rule, but it's not as confusing as it sounds. it just means after he fires, he HAS to move 5" away from that spot before he fires again. spots can be switched out as long as it's not the same spot twice in a row. keeping track of EVERY spot is tedious. the author of the 2001 rules should recognize tedium.

as for other sniper stats, 1d4 is good (same as scout). however now we arrive at a dillema with sniper movement. with mike's new paranoia rule, the sniper should have no more and no less than 5" of movement (sniper rifle still requires one turn of down-time). without paranoia, i'm still in favor of only three inches. you just can't have snipers be able to withstand a charge from a 5 man squad. in fact, the only defense from such an assault would be supporting fire from another squad. remember kids! sniping is about teamwork, and there's no "I" in "sniper".

... oh

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:53 pm

Oh I'm willing to go even further than that. He has to go at least 5" between shots, it takes one full turn to set up the sniper position, and he can only move at half speed if he wants to stay in camoflauge. He'll be lucky to get off a sniper shot once every three rounds, there won't be that many spots to remember. It'll also be easier to remember if we say that no sniper can hide in spots within 5" of where any other sniper has sniped from. That'll limit overuse of snipers.

The tradeoff is, of course, the long range and the head shots, which act as a great equalizer. I'd define head shot as "Destroys any one element in visual range, no matter how large or small." If it's a head then it's instant death for some minifig, but it might just as well be some critical hinge or fuel line on the enemy's mega-half-track.

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:55 pm

Thats... A really good idea... So, does this mean that your going to make a stat card and go through the bothersome artwork?:D
Red Clay Studios Click here, and read my latest battle report! More coming soon.

__Nero__
Nice
Location: In a dank dark cave plotting ways to kill peach colored figs and dimmies

Post by __Nero__ » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:19 pm

wow this is amazing. I've already added Hatchcock to my army. Epic Headshot time!!!!!

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Rayhawk wrote:Oh I'm willing to go even further than that. He has to go at least 5" between shots, it takes one full turn to set up the sniper position, and he can only move at half speed if he wants to stay in camoflauge. He'll be lucky to get off a sniper shot once every three rounds, there won't be that many spots to remember. It'll also be easier to remember if we say that no sniper can hide in spots within 5" of where any other sniper has sniped from. That'll limit overuse of snipers.

The tradeoff is, of course, the long range and the head shots, which act as a great equalizer. I'd define head shot as "Destroys any one element in visual range, no matter how large or small." If it's a head then it's instant death for some minifig, but it might just as well be some critical hinge or fuel line on the enemy's mega-half-track.
for half-speed camo, i think it's safe to assume the same stealth rules as ninjas and scouts? 1/3 cover at half speed and 2/3 cover at no speed?

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:51 pm

Well, since he has the stealth capability, I think that those rules are reasonable. I don't see why you'd invent another set of rules regarding sniper stealth.
Red Clay Studios Click here, and read my latest battle report! More coming soon.

Houndis
Officer

Post by Houndis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:10 am

DarkWolf wrote:The penalty is basically -1 on everything (moving, armor, stealth, ect. ect.), except sniping, but he can't use the sniper attack inside a range of 10" and yes, either Friend or Foe will trigger this. So, if anyone get's too close, the Sniper becomes half a regular minifig, stat wise at least.
So he moves only few inches, dies if anyone even touches him, and the stealth bonus is only 1/3 when he doesn't move? That sounds great. And do you mean that a sniper can only attack an object at range 10-30"? Well, that makes them easily killed if you get near enough.

After this paranoia, I'm ready to believe that sniper fits perfectly in the BrikWars universe. I assume that it's 5" of bird's way, so you can't just walk 5" of corridors and get to a window 3" from previous.

Oh, I can imagine this. Dark-colored sniper shots enemy machinegunner from a window, reloads and moves to the next point, where he nails enemy medik working in doubtful cover. Maybe it doesn't sound too great, but if it looks like LEGO Star Wars or something even better, it would make into a great movie parody.
~Terapia
<><