March 28 Brikwar: @ Philly

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

March 28 Brikwar: @ Philly

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 am

Local hobby shop Redcaps Corner has begun causal brikwars gaming nights in University City of Philadelphia. Your's truly carted his lego armies down to Philadelphia on March 28 in order to revel in some brik-carnage with redcap and another local gamer (forget his name, to my shame...we'll call him Ted). Redcap and Ted are only on their second brikwar, just learning the game, but wanted to up the ante from their previous battle of only 100CP. Thus, after some ad hoc statting, Redcap and Ted fielded a joint force against the majority of my Medieval Dragon Guard.

Redcaps Corner is still in the process of procuring briks to use as terrain, so for this battle, generic table-top terrain was utilized (but all of you should be used to that if you are following my batreps). A couple of photos are blurrier than is typical of my photography; I hope you can look past those cause I played all night with a POUNDING headache. Still a wonderful game.

Turn 0/Setup

Rev's setup. This is all of my Dragon Guard except for a squad of dual-wielders, a third squad of spearmen, and the mages. My flanks are pretty balanced and the Dragon Cannon is getting a maiden voyage. The Dragon knights are set up on the far right for reasons that I'll explain later; in retrospect, I should have loaded that flank with the griffin too, but where getting ahead of ourselves. CC weapon masters supported by my wizard hero take up the middle. All spearmen are screened by archers.

Here are my opposing flanks. To the left is Redcap's force, consisting of some pretty sweet undead. Most of them have some pretty buffed out stats too, so I'm not overly eager to engage any of his combat units without softening them up first. I didn't get any close-ups, but his crossbowmen are really pretty.

Ted's force is to the right, and this worries me. He has a skele-chief-mobster hero who is supported by military personnel and imperial gunners. Anyone carrying a gun in his army (everyone) is treated as having an assault rifle :evil: . AAAAnd, there is an insanely armored transport and a sniper in the building. Another freakin up-hill battle. There probably should have been some Benny or Penny action to compensate for tek-level disparity, but we overlooked that for this battle.

Usually I let my wizard ride the griffin. Today, an armored champion gets to mount the beast with a wicked spear for crazier charging action!

Here is a closeup of Redcap's [edit] skeletal hero (maybe it was a specter...I can't remember).

Turn 1

So first turn, we are all pretty far away from each other, so mostly just moving into range. Griffin starts building hopping. You can see i'm pushing pretty far forward with the Dragon Knights; that's because Ted's riflemen are on that flank. I want to get in as fast as possible to try and take some of the riflemen down.

The undead on the left and the mob on the right also move foreward.

Again, here is the setup that my knights are trying to counteract with speed and lances.

Turn 2:

Dragon guard continue to push forward.

The spear-persons reform in order to move round this building. The archers are really excited for battle.

Redcap also pushes forward and is sort of bottle-necking in this gap...which is making my griffin champion drool right now. You can see his pile of fast-moving crossbowmen get cover behind that fence...

And obliterate one of my archer lines.

Ted also moves forward into cover. You can see his sniper (which gives me grief all game, and the armored transport that is shielding lots of his guys.

Turn 3

The griffin charges in at his skeletal hero who finds a lucky redshirt nearby. This was a blunder, though because I forgot that my griffin is a full-mind and I didn't roll his attacks...stupid...

On the right flank, my knights are running down a bunch of riflemen. Their armor, hp, and special ability are really helping out here. You can find all that information in the Bonus Materials section. But...i don't expect them to last long...

My wizard casts a spell to double the movement of the CC Weapons Masters, who promptly assault the undead archers. And, yeah, those archers just start melting. I'm pretty exposed with them, but I'm just trying to eliminate a really annoying ranged squad.

But Teds response is to start gunning them down :cry:

The undead archers also try to withdraw from combat, which leads to the death of 1 or 2 more. Redcap might have also lost one to missed shots from the assault rifles.

Countercharge by the specters. Who pretty much snuggle my griffin. This is two games in a row where the griffin is just housed. Makes for some nice death scenes, but I'm really expecting more out of him. Champion counters and kills a guy.

...and this is why...against modern weaponry with autofire...medieval can't have nice things. Totally gunned down! On the plus side, I think I took 5-7 riflemen with me. Sniper did miss a shot at these guys and tagged his comrade in the back of the head.

The [edit] skeletal champion attempts to resurrect some of his fallen skeletons. However, the spell goes awry, and these "zombies" are raised from the dead...and not with friendly proclivities toward the [edit] skeletal champion...

Turn 4

Seeing the griffin downed and their golden champion pressed on all sides by the undead, the spear-persons make a push forward; absorbing the champion into their unit. Archers can be seen taking cover behind the corpse of the griffin, and you'll notice too that the skeletal champion rode foward, slew the raised archers, and is now in a duel with the blue wizard.

To the right, spear-persons reform to fit through the gap, archers move forward, and the flame cannon begins sloshing through the marsh.

The hammerer champion continues to slay undead crossbowmen. As of this picture, his squad has eliminated all but one!

Once again, the skeletal champion attempts to raise zombie archers to do his bidding...and again, only 1 is raised AGAINST him. All game, I made opposed rolls vs. feats like a champ! 8)

Combat ensues with the spearmen and the specters; by now, mummies have joined the fray and a pile of spear-person dead begins to mount. The spear-people are, however, consistently obliterating undead units in the chokepoint.

After some assault rifle fire, the hammerer champion is slain. Alexei's (not-Ted's) army moves forward, as do a unit of armored skeletons. Also notice the fellow on skiis. He has a bomb...

Which he throws at Dragon Guard lines!!! Luckily, they all had saved actions, and a combination of low damage rolls and successful bailing means that all of the figs who are lying down are actually just disrupted :oops:

For some reason, Alexei's marines choose not to mount any horses; instead, they begin using them for cover.

Turn 5:

Why are all the skeletons suddenly scattered? Well the dragon cannon (not pictured here) had moved out of the marsh and fired a Dwarf-fire rocket at the squad. 1 or 2 became toast, but the rest successfully bailed out of range as well.

CC still rages at the left edge of the board. 5 figs are left in the spear unit, while redcaps melee fighters are reduced to just 2 (maybe three).

Blue wizard and skeletal champ still duel; you'll also notice how far the flame cannon has moved forward, giving it a decent survey of the field. At this point, the wizard may also have lit the skeleton on fire, but I forgot to garnish him with OTC flames. I was a major fan of the jolly roger lance, btw.

During the opposing turn...with 3 men left alive...the spear unit and gold champion have cleared the left flank of undead! (with the exception of one crossbowman who is hiding near the center of the battlefield).

Nevertheless, the skeletal champ finally succeeded in a feat roll, granting him 3! zombie archers to the wizard's 1! Uh oh...

Toward the center, you may recall that ski man had thrown a bomb at my squads to the right. Well Alexei tries the same tactic twice more. But to his surprise, the blue wizard used a reaction spell to summon a gust of wind that blew the bombs back in their faces. Suck on that, jetskis!

In consternation, though, the chief-mob boss reinforces the skeletons in the center...

while the personnel carrier reinforced the chief-mob boss...

shooting from both took out 2 archers.

Boys and girls, that is enough for today. I've got some more photos of the game that I'll try and catalogue and upload in the next few days. Hopefully this will hold you over until then.

All the best,
Rev
Last edited by Rev. Sylvanus on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Vortai
Nice Dubs

Post by Vortai » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:58 am

:ftw:
I don't believe that much can be said, this is epic win and that all their really is to it. Course I could speak bout tactics but thats a waste on such wonderful pictures and a pretty cool looking battle, so kudo's to you Rev.

till those next photos get posted i'll be :omnom:
This is a signature, don't know what else to say
XD
Warhead wrote:Excellent, you have a fantastically not beige carpet. Well done, keep up the good work. Oh, and nice bundle of Lego.

redcapscorner
Champion
Champion

Post by redcapscorner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:20 am

Ted's actual name is Alexei. And the dude on the horse is just a skeletal champion. (:

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:31 am

Lol, ok, yah, I remember now. Thanks Benn. My headache was really terrible yesterday, so memory is a little fuzzy :-)

Paco
Dimmy

Post by Paco » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:37 am

My only regret is living 11 hours away from Phillie. :(
Tzan wrote:
Silverdream wrote:the link for a kingdom in turmoil leads to grave tidings.
Are you getting your ideas for posts from fortune cookies?

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:12 am

Awesome battle so far. I brought once armies to our hobby shop but got ridiculed.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 am

Really Zahru? So odd; when I set my guys out on the table, a bunch of people were coming over, looking at them, playing with the figs. All of our stuff was a hit, and redcap is garnering a really nice amount of interest.

Zahru II

Post by Zahru II » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:24 pm

Yeah, it devolved into 'lol lego' and trolling why rules are not like warhammer.

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Have you beaten them up accordingly?
Last edited by Apollyon on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

Zahru II

Post by Zahru II » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Revenge is still to be carried out.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:30 pm

there are some vampire looking dudes in the fifth picture down. I really really want some. Please state where you got the pieces from. As I don't recognize them.

subyrally
Cannon Fodder

Post by subyrally » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:34 pm

piltogg wrote:there are some vampire looking dudes in the fifth picture down. I really really want some. Please state where you got the pieces from. As I don't recognize them.
seconded

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:16 pm

This is the head you are looking for.

Edit: also, two more turns have been added to the battle. 4 more turns to go! Stay tuned.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:55 am

Come on, dragon guard, show them what you are made of!
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 pm

And here is the second half of the game played on March 28.

Turn 6

By turn six, the game seemed to be looking quite good for the Dragon Guard. The skeletal hero sat on 1 wound, all but one crossbow had been destroyed, and only 5 melee skeletons remained. My own losses were nothing to sneeze at, but it seemed like I might be able to start concentrating on a single flank...

And then this was big; the wizard finally slew the champion! Now instead of facing 2 heroic feats to my 1, the footing was a little more even. Granted, the blue wizard himself is down several wounds.

And this was just brilliant and gave me some staying power on the right. My engineer landed a greekfire rocket right on top of the APC's autogun, killing the pilot and a few crewmen in the process.

Then sneaky mcsneakerson was brought down by a hail of arrows, despite his nice cover bonuses.

But Luck is a cruel mistress. On the right flank, riflemen turn and gun down (with the help of mister sniper in the background) the rest of the spear people. Only the champion is left.

And in the center, the remaining skeletons make short work of the archer squad screening the spears.

And wouldn't you know it...in a hail of arrows from the reanimated archers, followed by poor armor saves and a failed spell, the blue wizard collapses...slain...It is at this point, after feeling really good about my chances throughout the battle, that I start to get nervous...

Turn 7

In a valiant charge, the gold champion charges forward at the last crossbow, but totally wiffs the attack.

A skeleton goes down in CC versus some archers using their bows as improvised weapons.

Spearpersons make a charge at the remaining skeleton block, but...like their golden comrade...totally wiff damage and attacking. I was hoping to eliminate more than one of the squad in that charge.

attacks back start a slow grind.

Sniped :cry:

With units either dead or tied up, redcap and alexei decide that the biggest threat left on the board is the dragon cannon. So they start shooting volleys at the engineer and crew :shock:

But the engineer rolls armor like a boss!

The shock is so great that the archer who tried to kill him falls off of his horse to his own death, lol.

But you can only make so many armor saves against so many shots...

The mobster hero jumps up on the vehicle...

And tommy guns his way through the remaining archers on the right flank.

Turn 8
and getting desperate...

Surviving archers take out a rifleman.

and the skeletons are finally killed by a spear unit at HALF strength. Stupid skeletons...

The dragon cannon is useless this turn, and autofire elimates these archers.

After jamming the tommy gun, the mobster chief hops into the vehicle that is still on fire from the rocket blast.

Turn 9 +

This pretty much seals the deal. I've got 3 spear persons, one zombie archer, and one cannon crew person left against a sniper, several assault rifles, a mob chief, and another zombie archer. My spears NEED to successfully sprint-charge into CC, or the Dragon Guard have no hope at range.

Charge failed! :no:

With nothing else doing, the mobster runs them silly spearboys over! They see him rollin....now they hatin....

Zombie archer also slain... it all comes down to the lone cannon crewman...

...and the crewman gets an idea!? He takes the final Dwarvenfire rocket, grips it tight, and makes a run for it up the cannon's neck, reaches the tip of the nose, and leaps...!!!

BLAMMMO!!! Into the last of the riflemen! Dragon Guard ELIMINATED!!

So I didn't get a final shot of the field, but redcap and alexei win for still having 1 hero, 1 sniper, and a zombie archer left! Technically, the Dragon Guard horses are all still alive, but probably eating the grass that is growing through their former masters' entrails.

The game was great! Had a good time, all of us did, and control of the board went back and forth for several turns. Can't wait to play again next week and following.

All the best,
Rev.
Last edited by Rev. Sylvanus on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.