comunity built medevil rules

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

comunity built medevil rules

Post by piltogg » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:58 pm

Almost half of all games of brikwars I have seen that has a report has been a castle battle. However Most of brikwars rules are geared twards modern or futeristic battle. so if you have ideas for rules regarding the castle battles type them plox. once we have a lot I will compile them into a text file which can be found on MNGG's web site. If mike wants to use any thing he can (yes I did just read the asian rules) Please don't just post to say that sumthing is a good idea as it clogs up the thread.

Sooooo to start off There are good knights and evil knights, All knights who are good get a plus one to all roles and cost an extra 5cp where as evil get minus one (but are cheap and you get lots)

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: comunity built medevil rules

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:02 pm

piltogg wrote:However Most of brikwars rules are geared twards modern or futeristic battle.
they are? there's even amount of talk between ranged and close combat rules, what with parries and ripostes. and ranged weapons include longbows. the only "futuristic" thing i can think of in the rulebooks is flying machines, and even those can get creative.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:19 pm

genades and other explosives and when I said most I was talking more about some whereas medevil only has chargeing

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:28 pm

maybe, but how much could you do to help this?
also, I don't really see any problems here.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Airpi
Champion
Champion

Post by Airpi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:03 pm

Everything you really need is in the base rule set. Most medieval weapons will fall into one of the three categories of CC weapons unless you really want special rules for tangling up weapons with flails or other weapon specific tricks like that. The rules for custom creations can easily be used to make fantasy monsters and the like. Launchers and explosives can be catapults and huge flaming rocks as well as RPGS and grenades. I'm not really sure what the problem is.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:07 pm

Plenty of extra medieval stuff is covered in the 2001 book as well.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:43 pm

yah, but I was going along rules geared specificaly tward medevil games like...
-special units
-historical events to play off of
-list of special rooms to put in castles
-crack ball rules like an evil minifig that collects ten heads looses its mnius one
-civilization bonusus and detractions
-special vehickles
-rules on bribeing enemy mercanaries
-castle based scenario ideas
-how to handle mythical creatures
-how to set up and disarm DnD like traps
-castle theamed building teqnuiqes
-castle battle strategy guides
-I like makeing lists

there are easily enough things to come up with to flesh out a castle specific chapter.. If you guys arn't into it you don't have to pay attention
but i'm shure at least 10 of us forum members would find something like this usefull

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:43 pm

piltogg wrote:genades and other explosives
gunpowder has been used in early forms since roman times for bombs.

EDIT: also, magic explosives.

as for your massive list of rules, there isn't NEARLY that many rules on any OTHER genre, why should there be specific rules for castle? most of these sound like the kinds of things where you'd be better off coming up with rules on the fly. almost all of these sound extremely situationally specific.

the only one i'd even consider working around is traps, but that seems easy enough. if a minifig wants to set a trap, he does so, and rolls his skill. on anything but a one, that trap is set to operate at whatever level (as in, if they rolled a 3, it's a level 3 trap). if it's a 1, it goes off. now, if another minifig triggers the trap, it goes off without fail. a minifig can disarm a trap by making a skill roll. if it's higher than the trap level (for example, rolling 4+ on a level 3 trap), it's deactivated. if not, it goes off.

Airpi
Champion
Champion

Post by Airpi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:15 pm

Well, you've convinced me with your persistence. Lets talk about units. When I think of medieval warfare, I think of huge masses of peasants who have no idea how to fight who're there so their lord won't take away their farm.

Conscripts
The untrained rabble, they are as unreliable as they are numerous
Armor:1d6-2
Skill:1d6-1
Move:5"
Special Rules:
Zero Training:Conscripts are given little training beyond "Stand next to these guys and hit those guys over there." The only weapons they are able to use are tools, pitchforks, hoes, etc. These count as random items.

Yellow Belly:Conscripts are prone to fleeing the battlefield when in danger and if there's nobody yelling at them to keep fighting. Every time a squad that contains only conscripts takes a casualty, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6 the squad disbands and each member starts running in a random direction. If a conscript runs into friendly unit before leaving the field, he is convinced to keep fighting with a gruff slap on the face.
CP:2 maybe?

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:10 pm

IVhorseman wrote: as for your massive list of rules, there isn't NEARLY that many rules on any OTHER genre, why should there be specific rules for castle? most of these sound like the kinds of things where you'd be better off coming up with rules on the fly. almost all of these sound extremely situationally specific.
If it makes you feel better you can make a simaler thread for space games.
also the vast majority of people lack on the spot imagination so if there are rules to aid that type of person to fight games in a more tactical manner than just rolling dice and saying hahaha you died then I am happy.

also apri is correct on the whole peasent idea there where very few knights as armour was expensive...

so to go along with that idea if there are a squad of peasents they canot do anything but stand ground or flee enless there is a taskmaster right?
so a taskmaster should have the same stats as an officer but must always be within 12 inches of his squad.

I can see the chaos now, archers always try to shoot the task master

so far the heirarchy of castle army's would be

King, lord or baron, knights and other nobility, foot soldiers (close range) foot soldiers (long range) then task masters, rabble, normal peasents

did I leave out anything?

As with the trap idea how do you concele that you are seting a trap from other players?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:26 pm

piltogg wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:As with the trap idea how do you concele that you are seting a trap from other players?
you don't! i don't really see a logical way of being able to do that, so i wouldn't.

but remember, you can always have all sorts of characters in castle battles - in fact, too many to make a comprehensive list! you've got everything from english longbowmen to mounted knights, mounted archers, footsoldiers, tower guard, royal guard, halbrediers, siege weapon men, crossbowmen, knights of all kinds, paladins, holy warriors, and priests. and that's not even HINTING at what you could do if you wanted to include magic or fantasy aspects like dragons, wizards, mages, elves, dwarfs, beholders, succubi, incubi, liches, demons, devils, goblins AND orcs, just to start.

again, most of this stuff is either extremely situationally specific, or already covered in the rulebooks. why shouldn't the taskmaster just be exactly like an officer? or the knight to just be a hero with the cliche of being a knight?

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:40 pm

For setting traps:

Any player can set a trap at a cost of 2cp during their turn (this takes up that unit's entire action phase). All the player has to do is write down on a piece of paper a description of the location of the trap. He/she then folds up the paper and puts it somewhere where he/she can't fiddle with it.

Once another unit crosses the location, it's up to the trapper to notice that the trap has been activated. Then both players roll as if it were an attack by a unit.

The catch is, a player can only set a trap in the current location of one of his units. Though the other players may notice that he is setting the trap, they will not know which of his units is setting the trap, and they may easily forget where that unit had been when the trap was set after it moves on.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:55 pm

Another way, that is used in SquadLeader (a board game).

You can have concealed units on the table. At set up you place a number of "?" pieces on the board. The amount you can place is limited. Also the board has numbered spaces. So you still have to write down something, which "?" has the concealed units.

The "?" counters make the other player think a bit, and make him more cautious in his movements.

In Brikwars I wouldnt expect more caution, but it could effect who walks thru the door first. Increase in paraniod behavior.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:44 pm

tzans way is far too complicated for most brikwars games but benny's way sounds fine also what if you use more expensive traps that will increase the chance of death like the entire room collapses on you if you walk within one inch of the midle also the trap must trigger instantly as the other troups would not move in a room if a friendlie just died.

also to up the dungeon paranoia you could have a whiteboard set up with the number of traps currently on the field, also to keep track of how many cp you have to spend on new traps and such.

Gorchek
Officer

Post by Gorchek » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:53 am

Just to make it harder for opponents to avoid possible trap locations, when the trap maker stops to make the trap, it can be placed anywhere the mini could move to during his turn. Most trap should be triggered by a rather small area, but doing it this way makes trapfinding worth it.
It would also finaly give the scout a chance to shine.