Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

April 9 Brikwar: Mini-rep @ Philly

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:18 pm

Hello everyone,

Welcome to another photo session by yours truly. So open gaming for Brikwars at Redcaps Corner in Philly has moved to Saturday afternoons (which is great for my martial arts training schedule). At any rate, I only have a mini-report for you today because my camera did that awesome thing where the batteries die in the middle of the game. But I should note too, that the game featured 2 completely new players, so there were a lot of slower-paced turns, talking about the rules, and ad-hoc stat making. The game went a little long (again contributing to my battery drain), but the awesome thing is we've got two new folks ready to go out there and buy lego in order to Brik-war and such. Totaly moral victory. But where are my manners; you all wanna see pictures

Turn 0/Battlefield setup:

Here we've got an Overwatch of the battlefield that was slapped together. A cool dude donated several boxes of loose lego that the store is allowed to use to make terrain, etc. There's a castle ruin in the distance, a split shipwreck leading to a desert waste full of ruins (not pictured), and this sea platform guarded by an octopus!

Here is a little island tower with a swaying bridge on the other side which leads to the desert waste (again not pictured).

And on the far hill is the shell of a burning cottage! In the background a pretty unique army is assembling: essentially green army men torsos with orc and other horror faces. You'll see more of them later. The set up was so cool, I gave their general a Benny.

Because we are looking at an introductory game, I only took a small strike force into battle: 5 freedom fighters, a speeder, and my super-soldier hero (complete with Alltimate hardsuit).

The army across the way. Boy these dudes were cool; and the pumpkin mech-of-death just made my day! The hero is some drill sergeant of horror, complete with clown-car full of orks, and this mecha.

One of the new players (Quincy maybe?) took a Cavalry-heavy force with beast-master, dragon-riding hero.

Not pictured, the second new player borrowed some of my medieval figs for her army. You'll see them soon enough.

For my deployment, I assemble on the island sanctuary.

Turn 1:

New player with my medievals takes the first turn. She moves up essentially in front of Quincy's cavalry, all of the archers leaping onto ruins as they go. You can't really tell, but the blue wizard casts a spell to turn the terrain under the horsemen into water (halving their movement).

Despite movement penalties, the hodgepodgian cavalry are able to engage in close combat...

Charge attacks and dragon breath weapons lead to the death of the wizard and the witch. So much for medieval magic :?

After a successful feat, the horror sergeant materializes behind one of the cavalryman, jaws open wide...

...and in a flurry of claw strikes, the sergeant snacks on a skeletal face.

My hero engages his boosters and makes it to the sea platform. With the swing of his plasma saber, the octopus bites the dust; the cannon is mine!

My speeder then pushes forward and (i think) eliminates a medieval swordsman.

Turn 2:

I'm not 100% sure why I took this picture. It's just the blue wizard on his griffin. You will notice that the army's player decided to give the wizard a plasma pistol just for kicks!

Archers continue to leap through the ruins in order to assault a knight and his crossbow monkey.

And another knight finds the wrong end of a lance!

On the cavalry-master's turn, the hero pulls off a feat to convince a feral dragon to join his army. The griffin is then assaulted by lots of firey breath.

Feeling angry at the death of their comrade, some knights charge out at the horror sergeant. I believe they inflict a wound or two...

But on the sergeant's turn, he lets out a vicious howl, causing all animals within 2d6 inches to flee away from him their full move distance.

Pumkin mecha peeks around the shipwreck...and launches one of his four rockets at a group of unsuspecting medievals!

...who all manage to survive due to poor damage rolls and a successful spell from the blue wizard to double their armor value! Go spells vs. rockets!

...and then the clown-car full of ork soldiers rumbles through the gap looking for trouble.

My soldiers fan out from their fortified position and start raining down rifle-death on various minifigs (actually i think most of the shots were misses :) ). My speeder also moves forward to enter combat with the orkish jeep.

A freedom fighter decides to make love and not war... with the hula girl...while a knight in the middle of the water plays voyeur :shock:

So, my super-soldier hero decides to put an end to the peeping knight. Let the freedom fighters get their rocks on in peace! Pervs...

Turn 3 and beyond...

So at this point my camera decides to say "I'm done," and the game progresses without visual cataloguing. For the rest of the game, the medievals tend to concentrate just on each other as the horror team and I make bee-lines for each other. Over the next 3 turns, my super-soldier and the pumpkin mecha engage in an epic duel, back and forth, which ultimately left the super-soldier the victor. Several freedom fighters died to CC against the orks; several orks died to rifle fire. The speeder blew up without dealing much more damage...

At a critical point, the hula girl and a halberdier had taken refuge in the island fortress. Sergeant horror appeared while they were getting it on, murdered both of them, and decided to wear the hula-girls skin as a suit. When a rifle shot had finally put the sergeant down, another saved feat--called there's always a sequel--brought the sergeant back for more!!!

After being beat up by the pumpkin mecha, the super-soldier tried to rescue his comrades from the lone surviving dragon only to nearly die himself in the process.

In the end, victory went to fun had by all!

Check in next week as the entire force of ork and horror soldiers have a grudge-match against my Ordo forces.

All the best,
Rev.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Awesome. I hope you guys continue playing.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:56 pm

That was really nice taking time to introduce new players to the game.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Why thank you. It was a little frustrating since the pace was laborously slow (4ish hours and we all only had about a 100 CP :shock: ), but the more they get a handle on it, the cooler games can become. And I'm one of the few folks who has a big grasp on the "rules," so if I don't help there's a lot of floundering going on. It's all good and was a lot of fun.

@ white nun, I sent the griffin files a few moments ago; let me know if it works!

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:22 pm

Yay looking good! thanks very much for sending me the Griffin files Rev :D

dirtycajun
Champion
Champion

Post by dirtycajun » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:35 am

I had a lot of fun with it. I'm the horror corps. guys btw.
Also it was 3 completely new players, the difference with me being I am not new to wargames or ridiculous LEGO.

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:01 am

Be sure to post your crazy orc army in the Armory section. This was a great battle, with lots of of interesting combatants. It's too bad we didn't get to see more of it!
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:51 am

As awesome as always. Fun to read.
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:27 am

:ftw:

No, seriously.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 am

dirtycajun wrote:I had a lot of fun with it. I'm the horror corps. guys btw.
Also it was 3 completely new players, the difference with me being I am not new to wargames or ridiculous LEGO.
Oh, my bad, lol! You took to it so well, I thought you had played before!

dirtycajun
Champion
Champion

Post by dirtycajun » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:00 am

Pwnerade wrote:Be sure to post your crazy orc army in the Armory section. This was a great battle, with lots of of interesting combatants. It's too bad we didn't get to see more of it!
I'll post the army when I get back to Redcap, it's actually just a few orcs but they seemed to fit what I needed atm points wise. The rest of the army is just monsters of various sorts.

Also my avatar is Tom Sizemore eating a giant peach. Nothing more.
what?

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cakeman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 pm

It's so good to see others having regular irl battles and even introducing new players. Thanks for posting inspiring pictures for the rest of us, and keep up the good work. I think the halbardier and the hula girl should have been able to spawn more halbardiers or hulagirls as a feat...
Rev. Sylvanus wrote:I sent the griffin files a few moments ago; let me know if it works!
There's a griffin file??

NapalmKing
Cannon Fodder

Post by NapalmKing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:17 pm

So I may be going to philly this or next weekend you are still having these at 12Pm on saturdays right?
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former- Albert Einstien.

dirtycajun
Champion
Champion

Post by dirtycajun » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:19 pm

Cakeman wrote:It's so good to see others having regular irl battles and even introducing new players. Thanks for posting inspiring pictures for the rest of us, and keep up the good work. I think the halbardier and the hula girl should have been able to spawn more halbardiers or hulagirls as a feat...
Rev. Sylvanus wrote:I sent the griffin files a few moments ago; let me know if it works!
There's a griffin file??
They tried, but they forgot the rule of horror movies. Never go into a dark area where you think you are alone with a chick. Gets you murdered by the monster every time.
what?

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Cakeman wrote:It's so good to see others having regular irl battles and even introducing new players. Thanks for posting inspiring pictures for the rest of us,
Yeah, I figure frequent pictures are good for the board community. I think I remember Warhead ranting on some thread about living on an island and wishing more people would post reports for those who can't battle frequently. So I post them so other's can vicariously enjoy our games.
Cakeman wrote:There's a griffin file??
Yeah, I have LDD files for my brick-built griffin. If you would like them so you can make your own or improve on my methods, pm me with your e-mail.