Lost Valley Time Forgot Filled With Treasure And Dinosaurs.

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:00 pm

RunsWithLegos wrote:looks a little unsteady, how does it do on it's own?
They're not too bad once they're adjusted properly, but they do have smaller feet than other Bionicles so I might have a bit of an experiment and try out some larger feet on them. The twin boilers do add enough extra weight to make them tippy if they're not set up properly on their feet.

Sizz-lor
Hero

Post by Sizz-lor » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:13 pm

one of the first times bionicle has been used for something good. But if you want inspiration, look at plasmatic bricks on brickshelf.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Sizz-lor wrote:one of the first times bionicle has been used for something good. But if you want inspiration, look at plasmatic bricks on brickshelf.
Do you have a link?

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:48 am

I started doing some work on walkers for the British Expeditionary Guard and I thought I'd try a different type of Steam powered walker. I didn't want to build another 'boiler up the back and seated driver' type again even though those are good-looking walkers. After stirring my imagination around a bit I had the thought that the British might be trying out something a bit more special in the way of a walking construct. Something with the boiler enclosed and more of the 'works' on display. And what about having a Babbage Galvanic Calculating Engine running the whole thing so it was a semi-autonomous construct. Not sentient mind you, just able to follow basic routines and take instruction by morse code or something of the sort, All of which means somebody has to be withing range and keeping an eye on the thing (I shall work on this idea a bit more.......).

So I present the Mk. 1 Armstrong-Vickers Semi-autonomous Combat Walking Machine .........

subyrally
Cannon Fodder

Post by subyrally » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:58 am

i like the new style. i think the idea of morse code for the controls in interesting as well. although, i could see the morse code bit going horribly wrong when someone accidentally replaces a dot with a dash, or vice versa. instead of clearing a road block, it could clear someone's scalp, or something as such. either way, would make for an entretaining epic fail i guess.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 am

hhmmm.... I don't really like this new direction, it seems a bit too much like actual bionicle for me. with the chinese walkers, it was varied enough that it didn't matter that you were using bionicle, but this now just looks like you put gears and a boiler on the back of one. what would work, IMO, is if you took off the head for this one and replace it with a pilot/driver and windshield. then it wouldn't be as hunched as the chinese ones and would still be a different style

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:39 pm

It's highly likely that I'm going to change the head for something that's definitely non-Bionicle to make this walker more steampunkish. I would still like to stay with the semi-autonomous angle using morse code to control it though. This would give me a certain amount of randomness to the operation of what is a fairly powerful close combat armoured walker. Dice rolls to see if the message was received (1= no go) and then to see if the message is correctly understood (1= moves off in random direction).
Basically in operation the other British scout walker I built earlier would follow on behind this walker and the driver would have it under his control. I've since armed this one man scout walker with a Grimthype Patent Heat Ray Cannon so it now has the ability to defend itself, - though hopefully not against the semi-autonomous walker should it go rogue :shock:

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:00 pm

It's been raining cults and dogs here so I've been doing a little messing about with Lego. I built a representation of the Babbage Galvanic Calculating Engine headpiece for the Armstrong-Vickers semi-autonomous combat walker. When I get some more tile pieces and other bits I'll most probably replace the Russian clone armour pieces which should reduce the Bionicle look quite a bit.

And a close up shot of the Chinese walker's hot seat.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:16 pm

With regard to colours I've settled on using White and Grey for the Chinese machines and Red, Blue, Grey and occassionally Dark Green for British machines.
I've still got to make up my mind about the French, White Russian and US machines.

Privateer machines like 'Dinosaur Hunter' can be any colour their owners like.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:15 pm

mmm, nice head for the walker, I love the gas mask usage of the torch bracket, npu. hopefully when you finish this one I'll have changed my mind about it, it looks much better now

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:54 am

I wanted a two man crewed heavy walker for my Brits that could mount a sizeable gun so I decided to approach the design from a completely different direction. Not exactly a super tank or a Hatred Tank, but I think my Brits will like it.

There's a type of heat engine called a 'flame-gulper' and I've always liked them. As a type they don't have the power to pull the skin off rice pudding, but in my Steampunk universe the engineers have cracked it.

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:21 am

Very cool walker, I like it.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

jmatthew
Minifig

Post by jmatthew » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:52 am

It reminds me of a walker-ma-jig thing from Dinotopia. I like it.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:32 am

I love the unique style on these! Keep it up!
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Silverdream wrote:Nice walking fort. Though I would make the top a bit bigger to hold more rifleman.
I was having problems with a slight brick shortage, but once I get further supplies I'll open out the command deck a bit more so I can increase the crew numbers and have a couple more riflemen/gunners.