ATTN FORUM: Searching for peoples stuff

Pay attention

Moderator: Bonn-o-Tron

ATTN FORUM: Searching for peoples stuff

Postby Warhead » Mon May 02, 2011 5:34 am

I've been trying to look up some peoples stuff and finding the process tediously annoying, even with the search parameters (don't forget I do similar file searching for a living now). I'm not a very organised individual but had an idea, it may even be an idea that's been suggested before by someone. Would it be worth our while to organise ourselves with a Stickied Thread (who knows, maybe even a stickied thread in a new section purpose built to hold such awesome) under the builders name for that persons Lego construction links to go? That way people interested in a forum members building style etc can quickly look it up hassle free.

Too many people are missing out on what has gone before... we can edit out all that other stuff, you know the stuff nobody wants to remember. Like the Toilet licking or the Shadow in Drag incidents. This will be purely for Lego.

Troll/Discuss...
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Apollyon » Mon May 02, 2011 5:54 am

This is a good idea. I had the same problems when i was trying to look for some people's constructions. Are they in the "armory" or "bricks" section? Hell, i even have trouble finding my own stuff!
Either we start some threads linking all the relevant posts of a respective member or we encourage everyone to start similar threads to Zahru's "enyclopedia medivo" and sticky them (as soon as they match some requirements?).
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby White Nun » Mon May 02, 2011 6:58 am

I really like that idea. As someone who is new to Brick construction and Brikwars I'm very aware that there must be mega amounts of ossum hidden away in the archives here, but unless I get lucky with searching about I simply can't find it.
White Nun
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Natalya » Mon May 02, 2011 7:19 am

So what would this look like? I think this might be a task better suited for the wiki... Putting stuff on there sorted by user and//or faction is probably the easiest plan.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Postby subyrally » Mon May 02, 2011 7:30 am

i like this idea all around. i also like the idea of another forum section for this, where you can have sub pages for each of the builders.
TROLOLO
subyrally
Dimmy

Postby RunsWithLegos » Mon May 02, 2011 7:56 am

or we could have a thread like the battle report list.

but instead of one post with it all every one has one post in it or something and edits it every update with a new link.
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Mon May 02, 2011 8:14 am

Natalya wrote:So what would this look like? I think this might be a task better suited for <a href="http://brikwars.wikispaces.com/">the wiki</a>... Putting stuff on there sorted by user and//or faction is probably the easiest plan.

Yeah, I wondered about the Wiki. Probably the easiest solution. It'll mean more people joining too, no bad thing... mostly.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby MasterEcabob » Mon May 02, 2011 9:55 am

Okay, how about this. Make a new forum dubbed "The Archives" where users post threads titled "X's creations" and then link all of their important crap into said post. Since there are only around thirty or so posters with a lot of lego, it wouldn't take up too much space either.

Honestly, I think that would be a better solution than the wiki, because that way it would be right there for new users when they join the forums.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!
MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby RunsWithLegos » Mon May 02, 2011 10:42 am

but new users can clog that up.

maybe a sticky thread in that forum with a link to every one's thread.
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby stubby » Mon May 02, 2011 10:45 am

What'd be really nice is a "favorites" kind of thing as well, like instead of a list of Natalya's stuff, we get a list of Natalya's Seal of Approval stuff.

I agree that this would probably work better on the wiki.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby subyrally » Mon May 02, 2011 11:07 am

the way i was thinking it could work is that the builders section would be limited to only people that have made epic stuff. basically, you would have to buy your way in with a truely epic build of some sort. if that makes sense.
TROLOLO
subyrally
Dimmy

Postby RunsWithLegos » Mon May 02, 2011 11:13 am

but who would be the judge? that seems way to elitist and alienating to newbs.
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Mon May 02, 2011 11:34 am

subyrally wrote:the way I was thinking it could work is that the builders section would be limited to only people that have made epic stuff. basically, you would have to buy your way in with a truely epic build of some sort. if that makes sense.

Oh Noes! It's another type of PesKash! Why wont this bad idea Die! DIE!

:) I vote, no ta.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby enders_shadow » Mon May 02, 2011 1:46 pm

MasterEcabob wrote:Okay, how about this. Make a new forum dubbed "The Archives" where users post threads titled "X's creations" and then link all of their important crap into said post. Since there are only around thirty or so posters with a lot of lego, it wouldn't take up too much space either.

Honestly, I think that would be a better solution than <a href="http://brikwars.wikispaces.com/">the wiki</a>, because that way it would be right there for new users when they join the forums.

this.

from my searching experience, I am only really looking for that one creation done by that one person, so having more people in the thread (as long as they went by a different name) would not be a bad idea. usually if you're searching for something you know who did it....

alternatively, we might be able to make a list much like the members list, where people could search joined date, num. of posts, ect. and that would link to those peoples creations. (that idea might be easier to do on the wiki... :? )
TROLOLO
enders_shadow
Playmobil

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Mon May 02, 2011 1:53 pm

The search engine is a pain in the ass alright.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
My Little Pony

Next

Return to Announcements