With apologies to Martin Handford

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

jodokast
Hero

With apologies to Martin Handford

Post by jodokast » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:56 am

Waldo’s army
Waldo, the famed explorer has traveled most of the known universe and about half of the unknown universe. No one ever knows when or where he will turn up so they are constantly on the lookout for him. As for his gear, it is said that after each battle he discards the weapon he was using and takes up another. In this way he has probably had more valuable and lost artifacts pass through his hands than anyone else in the universe. The problem is after he uses them they become very hard to find.

Waldo’s army is made up of three distinct parts: Wizard Whitebeard (his right-hand man), the Waldo Warriors (his elite troops), and recruits. Wizard Whitebeard is just that, a wizard. In the ancient past he granted Waldo the power he needed to become the greatest explorer in the known universe and often accompanies him on those journeys.

The Waldo Warriors are the elites of the army. They dress as similarly to their leader as they can in an attempt to confuse their enemies and give Waldo the upper hand. In the midst of battle, the enemy will believe he has killed Waldo only to find that it was one of the elites instead.

Waldo is an incomparable recruiter. He has the ability to recruit from any group he comes across and often does so. It’s rumored that he has walked onto a battlefield and walked off with a new recruit from each of the opposing sides. However, he rarely recruits more than one unit from any group, so his army is usually made up of large groups of individuals instead of identical squad members. A sample group might look like this:
or maybe this:
The beauty of this army is that you can just take one of every faction or type that is not involved in the battle and add them to Waldo’s army.

A brief history of Waldo:
The minifig known today as Waldo was born to a family of commoners in the Red and White Legion. When he came of age he joined the military. Three days after the completion of his training the entire Red and White Legion was attacked and destroyed by the armies of the undead. Waldo was the sole survivor.

He immediately went into hiding, on the run from the undead forces hunting him. During those dark days he became an expert at concealing himself. It was during this time the question “Where’s Waldo?” became widespread as the undead forces searched far and wide for him.

Shortly after that Waldo met the Wizard Whitebeard who, in addition to being a wizard, was a great explorer. It was Wizard Whitebeard who game Waldo the power to become the greatest explorer in the universe. Hi increased his lifespan and game him protection from harsh environments among other things. That is when Waldo stopped running and hiding and began exploring in earnest.

During those travels he began gathering an army to fight the one force he really wanted to destroy, the undead. To this end he is willing to form an alliance with any and all factions willing to help him defeat the undead.

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:26 pm

This is incredibly awesome.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:38 pm

Love the red and blue combination on the recruits, they'd fit right into my Kingdom forces. I'm less positive towards the 'army' of generic minifigs, though it's a nice collection.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:53 pm

I like this. Maybe each recruit should have one of the different items that Waldo carried.

jodokast
Hero

Post by jodokast » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:53 pm

@ brag, I will refer you to "The Great Waldo Search" where he just grabs people to join him as he goes. Honestly, of the two options for building this army (all Waldo look-alikes or a band of all different guys) this option is what made more sense based on the Waldo mythos. Plus he's always dropping gear, so I made the decision not to give him specific weapons either.

But yeah, I do want to add more look alikes (maybe six or seven of each).

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Omg i knew i would regret getting rid of my Where's Waldo Khan sig...
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

Alex
Nice TRIPS

Post by Alex » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:18 pm

Nice army! I specifically like the recruits, it's kind of a similar idea to what I had for my Anachronists, where they could travel through time and get people from other time periods to join them. This could either be a bunch of random guys or entire armies. For example, they could use their UFO to help the 300 Spartans fight the Persians. Maybe Waldo and the Anachronists could join forces to create the ultimate alliance of time-travelling explorers.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: With apologies to Martin Handford

Post by stubby » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:13 pm

jodokast wrote:No one ever knows when or where he will turn up so they are constantly on the lookout for him. As for his gear, it is said that after each battle he discards the weapon he was using and takes up another. In this way he has probably had more valuable and lost artifacts pass through his hands than anyone else in the universe. The problem is after he uses them they become very hard to find.
As much as I love the army, I think I like this little story nugget even more. If I were BrikThulhu, I would be very inspired by this, and bring into being a legion of Waldo agents of chaos, to scramble artifacts to and from wherever and whenever was most inconvenient.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Yup, this has far more potential than BoB ever did. Great idea jodokast, welcome to Brikwars!

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:35 pm

Wow, makes me wonder if anyone ever made a MOC of one of the Where's Waldo scenes?

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:49 pm

This is quite funny. I just love how fun this army could be to play. Got to love Waldo. :lol:
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:55 pm

This is nothing short of fantastic. Just fan-flippin'-tastic.

The only things that could be added are Wenda, Odlaw, and Woof. Then you will have the single best army in the Brikwars universe.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Elmagnifico
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Elmagnifico » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:31 pm

I want to see a Living Banner warrior and possibly a Fire Monk, but these are all awesome.
READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Warhead wrote:Yup, this has far more potential than BoB ever did. Great idea jodokast, welcome to Brikwars!
BoB had no potential :lol:
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

jodokast
Hero

Post by jodokast » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:02 pm

I just placed a brinklink order for some parts to build Odlaw, but I can't for the life of me find the right head to use for Wenda. Woof would require a complete repaint of a dog, so that will not be happening soon, but hopefully some of the other favorites will be forthcoming.