Pocket Dungeon

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

thade
Cannon Fodder

Post by thade » Wed May 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Olothontor wrote:As a spin-off project from Pocket Dungeon: Online to test online capabilities and using sprites in Java, I've started a text-based adventure game wrapped in a simple GUI.

So far, it's all interface and no functionality, but I'm working on it. From there, just gotta figure out how to create peer-to-peer (or even server-based) connections using Java code, and we'll be set!

I'll keep you all posted.
:<3:

Can't wait to see this.
I don't level the playing field, I level the playing field.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Sat May 21, 2011 10:38 am

Items update, yay!

The text-based game is progressing, albeit slowly; hung up on some mysterious errors.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sat May 21, 2011 2:11 pm

whoah, so cool! now I have a strong urge to find all of those items....

XZeyroX
God of BrikWars

Post by XZeyroX » Fri May 27, 2011 6:30 pm

Hello, I found this link from BGG,started reading and started messing with the idea of a computerized Pocket Dungeon game.So to the person who was programing a generator (as I can't remember what page that post was on) I made a version on my TI-83 that works this way:

It fills the map with empty space,then picks a location at random and a room size at random.Then moves one space at a time in a random direction (basically drawing a line). If if encounters an area where a floor tile already exists it adds one to the room size to make up for the size it currently has where no floor was generated (it subtracts one from the size before it checks if it should or not,minor programing flaw). When it runs out of room it moves down each row and generates a wall adjacent to any floor tiles it finds,but only if they are not already floors themselves (for doors,I had it programmed to replaces 2/5ths of the walls it generated with doors,randomly of course).I hope this helps in some way,I know checking every space is simply not an option with maps as big as your talking about,but then again you have a more powerful programing language then I do.

For anyone who has a TI-83 and is wondering how I did this,I couldn't find any way to check what was displayed in each cell so it has to literally input a value for every single cell into L1 and read it off to generate maps.It uses L1(X) to locate a numeric postion based on the formula ((8*(Y-1))+X).There are 128 locations,the list eats up about 1100 RAM.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Wow, show me up by making it on your friggin' calculator why don't you.

That's pretty cool, though.

UPDATE: Minor segway for the next few days. I was planning on using PD:O as my final project for my Computer Science class, but it's not finishing fast enough (due on Thursday), so I'm working on replicating Conway's Game of Life instead.

From there, we should be able to spin off back into Pocket Dungeon territory(since Conway's Game of Life is technically tile-based (two-dimensional map array and all of that good stuff)).
-=[ Visage ]=-

ForlornCreature
Cannon Fodder
Location: Checking back in between animations for Warhead's follow up to ZZD

Post by ForlornCreature » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:12 am

XZeyroX wrote:Hello, I found this link from BGG,started reading and started messing with the idea of a computerized Pocket Dungeon game.So to the person who was programing a generator (as I can't remember what page that post was on) I made a version on my TI-83 that works this way:

It fills the map with empty space,then picks a location at random and a room size at random.Then moves one space at a time in a random direction (basically drawing a line). If if encounters an area where a floor tile already exists it adds one to the room size to make up for the size it currently has where no floor was generated (it subtracts one from the size before it checks if it should or not,minor programing flaw). When it runs out of room it moves down each row and generates a wall adjacent to any floor tiles it finds,but only if they are not already floors themselves (for doors,I had it programmed to replaces 2/5ths of the walls it generated with doors,randomly of course).I hope this helps in some way,I know checking every space is simply not an option with maps as big as your talking about,but then again you have a more powerful programing language then I do.

For anyone who has a TI-83 and is wondering how I did this,I couldn't find any way to check what was displayed in each cell so it has to literally input a value for every single cell into L1 and read it off to generate maps.It uses L1(X) to locate a numeric postion based on the formula ((8*(Y-1))+X).There are 128 locations,the list eats up about 1100 RAM.
Convert to a video game we can play please please please!!!

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Again, I feel unloved.

I'm working on it, too.
-=[ Visage ]=-

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Pssh. You are unloved... by ForlornCreature. :P I still want to see that game, mate.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Olothontor wrote:Again, I feel unloved.
Pssh, I can take care of that...
Olothontor
:<3:

there. better?

ForlornCreature
Cannon Fodder

Post by ForlornCreature » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:07 am

Ross_Varn wrote:Pssh. You are unloved... by ForlornCreature. :P I still want to see that game, mate.
ITS THE INTERNET THERE IS NO PLACE FOR LOVE

unless you mean physical love :warhead:

RagnarokRose

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:17 am

Er. That too. There is only even more awkward cybering.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

ForlornCreature
Cannon Fodder

Post by ForlornCreature » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:58 am

Dos me haf to spell it uot?

P - R - O - N

:roll:

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Re: Pocket Dungeon

Post by Insert_blank » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:28 am

Reviving this because I wonder if anyone has worked on/talked about this recently. I got really into PD when I used to lurk on here and I ran a game with a 3 friends and me as the DM. Basically I just made the rooms bigger and threw in some extra enemies my friends were pretty into it but I think we only got 5 or 6 rooms in before we had to call it a night (my little sister was playing too and she has a Cinderella license so we had to leave before 11pm ). Anyway I've been thinking about PD a lot recently since I've got nothing else to do most of the time between work.
Just Monika

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Ah yes. Oloth's forum game ran into a bit of a wall when the sprites were brutally murdered by his computer... Such a tragedy. But the premise still shows promise ( :wink: )

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:38 pm

We had a one hour PD session in Infrno, Oloth GMing, quite fun!