Halcyon Empire APC WIP

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Halcyon Empire APC WIP

Post by Cakeman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:55 pm

After seeing the awesome APC of HappyWeasel I really liked the modularity of the thing, so I tried to copy it. Came out pretty well, still a WIP but anyway here's what it looks like right now:

Fig for size comparison. Six wheels, opening and optics on top up front. Slightly leaning forward, mostly for the looks.

Front. Not much ground clearing as it is now, I think I will try to fix that.

Rear. The door opens straight backwards allowing free and easy exiting with safe footing. A few floodlights if needed. But now onto the good part:

Look at it: exchangable front and rear roof, allowing for different loadouts for different missions. A front with covered gunpost? Anti-air? Can do. I really like the modularity of this build. It seats 1 gunner, 1 driver and 7 lightly armed troopers or 6 with regular equipment. that's not so great and I guess I could easily double that number if I put the wheels more on the outside but it looks better this way. But I know, needz more dakka! Will make a regular army-post when it's more done.

Lastly a pic of a trooper charging out. So, any tips for making it meaner apart from more guns?

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Wow, this looks pretty nice, and I agree that Happy Weasel's design is nice. The one thing that can be worked on to make it look better is the front. The flatness doesn't quite look fit for battle. I would suggest making it more angled, but it should also have something to instill fear on anyone in front of it. For this, I would recommend a machine gun coming out of the front (driver-operated), as well as a nice, big dozer blade.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:33 pm

It looks really awesome! The only thing I see wrong with it is that it might need some kind of weapon for self defense.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:01 pm

Looks like it could run into a wall and bash it down easily, very bulky looking. The touch of white blends in quite nicely! Like you said, it now only needs some guns, and some dispensers if you can make them 8)

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:17 pm

wow, I love this. my head is just bursting with the possibilities of that roof, truly great job. I also disagree with the front, it looks fine, and with the heavy machine gunner in that nest you built everything will look scary enough. One thing I don't really like about this build though is the slant, it looks like the APC just blew some shocks, and the Empire was too lazy to fix them :?

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:46 pm

I think this is a great "base" unit. I would now look at creating different roof panels for different roles. Make it like the old M-113 where it was the base for many weapon systems. AA, Artillery, Ground Suport, Medvac, etc.

I love this kind of vehicle. :D
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:22 pm

This is god damn fantastic. Very Aliens.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Not feelin' the big white pieces. Great otherwise.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Yes very much like :D A really handy armored vehicle that can be dressed up for different occasions, - has to be a winner.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:54 pm

If this is a WIP, I'd love to see it when it's done. An incredibly slick build, I especially love the door. From the looks of it, it's going to end up an "APC" that poses a serious threat to most tanks.

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cakeman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:09 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's been a fun build and ofcourse there's this longing for making two..
aoffan23 wrote:it should also have something to instill fear on anyone in front of it
I was thinking of the dark bluish gray skull from the indiana jones sets, but a dozer blade would be good too. Will have to try it out.
enders_shadow wrote:the slant, it looks like the APC just blew some shocks
Actually haven't tried it without. The slant was there on the original aliens apc too, but it does make a turret on my apc look slightly odd as the cannon aims at the ground in any relaxed position. On the other hand, if it's a turret with a gatling I'm aiming for infantry anyway >;)
OneEye589 wrote:Not feelin' the big white pieces
Neither do I, neither do I... the white line is ok but the big pieces is there out of necessity until I bricklink again.

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:55 am

Skulls and dozer blades are good, but some of these would really scare the hell out of anyone in front of it.

Perhaps you could have modular front accessories in addition to modular roofs and weapons. A mine plow would be another good front accessory.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:41 am

mine plow? now i am wondering what that would do to some one if they got hit by one.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:53 am

Not sure it was for mines but I do know it's for driving through the heavy hedgerows of the Normandy Bocage.

It digs in and rips out hedges and embanking as you drive through and over. The bocage proved to be the perfect anti-tank ambush spot as tanks without one of these do-dahds would get entangled as it tried to drive through. And I agree, it would make an excellent grinding weapon against infantry too. :D

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14 am

a anti mine plow.

but i was thinking of one i saw that had Big, honken chains on it the where spun at around 200rpm orsomething