Guided missiles

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Are these good?

yes
17%
no
33%
maybe
50%

Total votes: 12

IX_Legion
Minifig

Guided missiles

Post by IX_Legion » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:21 pm

These rules are untested, I just thought of them, but I think they would work pretty well.

The basic premise is you roll to hit before you fire. Rather than rolling the operator's skill, you roll a targeting computer's skill (1d10, probably). The computer can be attached to the weapon or in remote communication. Use normal to-hit mods (and you could even add an ECM "skill" that subtracts from the computer's). Less than use=no lock, equal to or greater than=lock. Once lock is achieved, you may fire. Projectile rolls its own skill (probably same as computer, maybe less), if 1 or less, lose lock and scatter, otherwise hit (ECM mods again). I don't know about maintaning targeting computer locks, maybe the same rules as for missiles firing.

Again, these are untested. I plan on using them in a battle I have coming up, if I do I'll let you know how it works. No idea about CP, I don't use them. This may be a way to increase the accuracy of heavy artillery/launchers.

If anyone has crticism or ways of streamlining this, please let me know. And if anyone actually uses it definitely let me know!
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

Dertyyy
Hero

Post by Dertyyy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:43 am

wait, so you don't roll to see if they hit, you roll for the computer to find the target?
You are unique, just like everybody else.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Re: Guided missiles

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:29 am

IX_Legion wrote: Again, these are untested. I plan on using them in a battle I have coming up, if I do I'll let you know how it works. No idea about CP, I don't use them. This may be a way to increase the accuracy of heavy artillery/launchers.
I'm not sure how this would increase accuracy of anything projectile. Instead of a single UR, you have now introduced 2 UR's to fire the weapon, increasing the odds that you will miss or crit fail. I'm not sure why you wouldn't use normal rockets.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:40 am

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:
IX_Legion wrote: Again, these are untested. I plan on using them in a battle I have coming up, if I do I'll let you know how it works. No idea about CP, I don't use them. This may be a way to increase the accuracy of heavy artillery/launchers.
I'm not sure how this would increase accuracy of anything projectile. Instead of a single UR, you have now introduced 2 UR's to fire the weapon, increasing the odds that you will miss or crit fail. I'm not sure why you wouldn't use normal rockets.
Except that he means that the skill roll now refers to the computer's ability to aim, not the minifig's, and because the computer is aiming prior, there result of a critical fail would probably in fact be reduced. Anyhow, I believe he's still only referring to a single roll.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:29 am

mgb519 wrote: Except that he means that the skill roll now refers to the computer's ability to aim, not the minifig's, and because the computer is aiming prior, there result of a critical fail would probably in fact be reduced. Anyhow, I believe he's still only referring to a single roll.
Sure, the computer is now aiming, but the way it is written there is a skill check made after the aiming roll as well. That's two rolls and two chances to critically fail as opposed to just one chance. I'm not super with statistics, but it doesn't seem correct that you increase accuracy by also increasing chance.

Here's what I mean. I've got a computer with 1d10 skill aiming. For the sake of argument, the guided rocket is MKII with UR: 4. All things being equal, a lock chance of 0.70. 0.30 chance to miss or crit fail. The same computer is also the firing mechanism (and has the multitask skill I'm assuming or it would have to wait til next turn to fire...) and so rolls another 1d10 skill roll. This second roll has a 0.90 success rate and a 0.10 crit-fail rate. Unless I'm mistaken in my math (which I might be), That brings the rocket's statistical chance of hitting to 0.63, which is less accurate than just taking a single skill check with a minifig with skill 1d10.

The only advantage I'm currently seeing is that locking prior to firing could potentially save ammunition over time (which probably isn't insignificant given the relative price of explosives).

You could just have a targeting computer for x amount of cp that can target an object in range. For every turn the computer focuses on that object, subtract -1 UR to fire the rocket at the target.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:The only advantage I'm currently seeing is that locking prior to firing could potentially save ammunition over time (which probably isn't insignificant given the relative price of explosives).
Same here, could you explain a little better where's the advantage? The main effect I see is to slow down the firing rate.

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:20 pm

I had really meant these to be used by big launchers, size 5+, with really high use ratings. My main thinking behind that was to keep from wasting ammo on misses (which, if you have explosives, and with an additional CP cost for the guidance system, can be helpful) and because the computer can have higher skill than a minifig (only heroes and such have 1d10 skill, most artillerists would be 1d6--and you could even give the computer a higher skill).

Also, with a long-range weapon that takes multiple turns to hit, a guided missile can follow the target (lock is to specific object, not place) :twisted:

You can fire the same turn you get a lock. The second roll was meant to give the target a chance to break lock, something like this: "sir, they've locked onto us! Missiles inbound!!" "Evasive maneuvers, try to throw off their targeting!" (and, on second thought, unless it's fast and wildly evading or has massive ECM you can probably ignore the second roll-there's not much for a tank to do to avoid a missile).

Thanks for the input

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:45 am

You are thinking in Brikwussy style because it reduces destruction on the battlefield. A real Brikwarior would stil be pleased if al of his large ordenance and missiles would mis, as long as they stil bring epic destruction. He would even still be pleased if his misfired rounds would hit his own units.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Also, if you fire multiple missiles, each one has a higher chance to hit--in your example, Rev, the first is only a 63% chance, but every one after is 90% (and if the first misses, you don't lose your missile)

And crazyhorse, if a missile misses there's no guarantee it will cause destruction--it may hit nothing. Lots of shots in the same place also lets you kill the big things too--so my system does result in more death (and isn't it killing the biggest creations that gives the most satisfaction?).

-Valkyrie (the movie)

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:46 pm

The deal with guided missiles, as I understand it from action movies, is to chase their target around for a while, eventually hit it and blow it up, or hit some random obstacle and blow up.

So how about you make each missile its own Creation? Here are some stats off the top of my head.

Guided Missile
Size 1
Skill: 1d6
Move: 24" flying*
Armor: 1d10

Equipment: One Size 2 explosive

Half-mind - Simple: Move towards target by the shortest route possible each turn. If you come into contact with anything, detonate the explosive.

The target can be selected by a targeting computer or whatever, as in the original idea.

*The Move can be adjusted depending on the setting. It should ideally be slightly higher than the Move of the fastest other Creation in the game, making for exciting chase scenes.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:03 pm

Point taken legion, but the next consideration will be cost-effectiveness. Questions like how big the computer is/how big the creation with the computer is influences the size cost of the computer's skill. And then the computer or whoever is firing the missiles will need several levels of multitasking in order to actually fire more than one missile per turn per lock.

I think Arkbrik's design is the most elegant, simple, and effective so far.

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:44 pm

I don't know about cost, again I don't use CP personally.

Why I came up with this: I was going to attack an Imperial command bunker, and I thought I'd use that as the control center for a massive railgun launching these guided missiles (thus the reason for attacking it).

I do think Arkbrick's idea would work: skill roll to hit like normal, and the missile just kamikazes. I'll try it both ways and see which works.

-Valkyrie (the movie)

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:28 pm

a railgun launching missiles? interesting...

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:26 pm

IX_Legion wrote:And crazyhorse, if a missile misses there's no guarantee it will cause destruction--it may hit nothing.
You don't have enough inocent bystanders and orphanages on the field.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:34 pm

I think Arkbrik's idea is just easier, too. If you wanted a Javelin rocket launcher or predator missile or whatever, just have them all set aside and when the minifig fires his launcher or the predator missile, put it on the table.