Her Majesty's Lego Rip-Offs

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:04 pm

Gungnir wrote:
dilanski wrote: Just noticed something weird, if you click the pictures you zoom in, and on the Rib and Jeep sets, some of the bricks look like they've got 'LEGO' printed on the studs? Anyone with better eyes confirm?
Yes, those say 'Lego' on them. I'm recognizing a lot of other Lego elements as well, like the steering wheel on that boat.
No it says 'COBI' . The Asian makers can be a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to quality with some being a lot better than others. With some items it can be really difficult to tell which is the clone and which is the LEGO part, but other makes will take lots of shortcuts and it shows.
I use a lot of COGO bricks because they generally fit together tightly and the quality is reasonable. The supplier I buy sets from will give me a set free for every four I buy which has to be a good deal in anybody's book. As a religious sister I don't have a lot of money to come and go on so cheap bricks or no bricks is the way I have to do it. The special bricks and Minifig parts and accessories I buy are usually LEGO, but I do have quite a few clone minifigs as well that have been a part of sets. Mostly I put skeleton heads on them and they become UnDead minions, but some of the better ones have joined the ranks of the mercenary pirates of Tyrus or else the degenerate 'Lost Civilisation' in the Lost Valley on Dinoreich.

Most of the COGO set designs are structurally pretty poor and difficult to make without them constantly falling apart during construction, but that's not so much because the bricks are no good. The problem lies in just plain not designing shapes so they have any strength to them. I have a Pirate ship set that was hopeless how it was supposed to be built, but is proving to be on the way to being an Ok MOC with me building it how I want it to be.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:52 pm

White Nun wrote:The supplier I buy sets from will give me a set free for every four I buy which has to be a good deal in anybody's book. As a religious sister I don't have a lot of money to come and go on so cheap bricks or no bricks is the way I have to do it. The special bricks and Minifig parts and accessories I buy are usually LEGO, but I do have quite a few clone minifigs as well that have been a part of sets.
It's almost a decade since the last time I was in NZ, but from what I remember the Lego prices were insane. It's like the retailers were getting them from Australia where the prices were already nuts, and adding a premium on top of that.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:03 am

I remember you talking about Australia before.... why is that?
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:02 am

The price of new LEGO sets here is very high with it not being uncommon to have to pay $NZ400-500 for one of the larger sets. As a rule of thumb 3-4 COGO sets can be purchased for as much money as a single LEGO set of the same size costs.

The only time I buy LEGO in bulk is when it's second hand and even then you have to be careful, - especially in an on-line auction situation where the price can soar into almost new price territory very quickly.

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:41 am

man, that is a crappy deal bro.

and i for one support cloan brands. gives me a enemy that if needed, i could get a ton of for very little money comparatively.

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Low quality, but these do look pretty cool...

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:01 pm

RoC77 wrote:Image

Good enough for a BrikWars game. :mrgreen:
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:16 pm

RoC77 wrote:Image

Shame they cost £2 a dalek, for a lego knock-off it is steep.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:40 pm

Silverdream wrote:How many daleks do you need? 1 could kill a million Cybermen.
depends on a few different conditions, In the old BiT magazine there was a article about how a platoon of Cybermen jumped a couple of daleks, went ape-shit and ripped their heads(?) off, this was during the battle of canary wharf, although if it wasn't for them being caught off-guard, then things would probably of ended differently.

Ham
A 701 error is fine too.
A 701 error is fine too.

Post by Ham » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:55 pm

What exactly makes those trashcans 2,000 Tiger tanks in one package? Doesn't make sense to me.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.
Wightbagel died for our sins.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:12 pm

How I remember it was that anybody they shot would turn into a black and white negative image which is fatal apparently. :wink:

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Cyberman: Daleks, be warned; you have declared war upon the Cybermen.
Dalek Sec: This is not war. This is pest control!
Cyberman: We have five million Cybermen. How many are you?
Dalek Sec: (pause) Four.
Cyberman: (somewhat tauntingly) You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?!
Dalek Sec: We would destroy the Cybermen with one Dalek! You are superior in only one respect.
Cyberman: What is that?
Dalek Sec: You are better at dying!
You forget the sheer balls the Daleks have in doing shit.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 pm

Besides, the script says they are kick ass and the script is always right. :wink:

Last edited by Hoboman on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

RagnarokRose

Post by RagnarokRose » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:11 am

They're psychotic little rat-men who want to kill everyone alive, trapped in a metal can of death capable of absorbing anything you throw at it.

And I still don't know what Dalek stands for.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:33 am

Ross_Varn wrote:They're psychotic little rat-men who want to kill everyone alive, trapped in a metal can of death capable of absorbing anything you throw at it.

And I still don't know what Dalek stands for.
Dalek is just a rearrangement of Kaled, the original species, before Davros came and messed them up.

Daleks also have Shields, the ability to deep fry people with their plungers, they can fly through space and they'll eat a person whole if they have to.