VBS 2 by Bohemia Interactive

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

razgriz 25th inf.
Dimmy

VBS 2 by Bohemia Interactive

Post by razgriz 25th inf. » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:46 am

Alright, listen up. For starters i don't have my external keyboard, and my normal keyboard is fucked up, so if there are spelling errors and shit STFU.

Okay, so as some of you know i got a chance to play VBS 2 by Bohemia Interactive while i was at Encampment with CAP. Basically it is designed primarily for the Militarys around the world, as a simulator of squad tactics, and was designed in 2010. So i'm gonna get right into it.

There are only 4 training missions, which are controls, weapons, and navigation as basics, and a special mission called "Insurgent Mindset Training", or IMT. Basically the idea is you play an Insurgent and your job is to plant IEDs where you think they would be most effective. It supposed to make you think like the bad guys so you can find the roadside bombs, etc.

Then there are Co-op missions. AFAIK there are 8 standard missions, but the admin has the ability to create new missions with ease. I did not have a chance to play an Co-op missions, because i was 1 of 2 people that actually played PC games so it took forever to train everyone else.

Then there is "Equipment Viewer" Which has all the vehicles and weapons etc. that is in all other versions of VBS 2 as different versions with different standard weapons and vehicles exist for different Militarys. Anyways there are LOADS of equipment in there.

Now, on to gameplay and graphics. As it was designed for the Military gameplay is not predominate. However, it is fun. Controls are simplified from ArmA II quite a bit and squad commands only exist for players selected by the admin. The ability to jump into a chopper and take off no longer exists as i never even saw a chopper. However, the ability to drive a humvee or a tank exists. Graphics are decent but do not measure up to ArmA 2. Then again, i was not playing on a nice computer, it was only a small HP laptop so i'm sure that on a proper computer it would look fantastic.

Bohemia took the time to make sure that realism is first on every possible front. If you are too close to an explosion but not close enough to be hurt you will be knocked out. Waking up from being knocked out practically mimics real life in that the world is black and white, grainy, and you have no clue what you're seeing. Fatigue takes a more predominate role in VBS 2. You can only do things a standard soldier can do, like i said above.

All in all if ArmA III is anything like a combination of ArmA II and VBS 2 I will be very happy. I give it 8.5/10.

Congratulations: Your friendly neighborhood edit monkey just fixed your post. Why? I haven't the slightest. Cause I'm a freaking nice guy or something. Next time, please press return every four lines or so. Save us all a headache and avoid a bunch of posts that read "TL;DR".-Beneficent Ruler (Lesser Games Division)
Holy shit, I'm still here?

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:05 pm

TL;DR
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

Ham
A 701 error is fine too.
A 701 error is fine too.

Post by Ham » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:05 pm

TL;DR
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.
Wightbagel died for our sins.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Sounds cool, but I doubt this will be available for civilian use.

Is there a French and Russian one where you have to keep losing until you somehow win?
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

razgriz 25th inf.
Dimmy

Post by razgriz 25th inf. » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Silverdream wrote:Sounds cool, but I doubt this will be available for civilian use.

Is there a French and Russian one where you have to keep losing until you somehow win?
don't diss the fucking Russians. And no, it isn't available for civvie use. So you just got insight on a game you would have never known about other wise.
Holy shit, I'm still here?

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Is there an American one where they send badly trained troops with little to know intel into regions where their only hope of winning is that the guerillas all die of old age?

Or a Canadian one where we just do peacekeeping missions?
Image lol j/k

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Ham
A 701 error is fine too.
A 701 error is fine too.

Post by Ham » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Silva brings up a good point. Many Russians died in the world wars. Much more than their German enemies
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.
Wightbagel died for our sins.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:16 pm

So what happens if the US military considers this game to be classified? They technically have access to anything you do on the internet.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Ham701 wrote:Silva brings up a good point. Many Russians died in the world wars. Much more than their German enemies
But survived because they were frost-proof, unlike the Germans.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:10 pm

dilanski wrote:
Ham701 wrote:Silva brings up a good point. Many Russians died in the world wars. Much more than their German enemies
And because Piltogg was being a dumbass. Why would you break your treaty to have a 3 month window to conquer the largest country on earth?
Image lol j/k

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Silverdream wrote:
dilanski wrote:
And because Piltogg was being a dumbass. Why would you break your treaty to have a 3 month window to conquer the largest country on earth?
Because he got bored with bombing the UK. And that's not a joke.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

Timedude
Snackist
Snackist

Post by Timedude » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:03 am

mgb519 wrote:So what happens if the US military considers this game to be classified? They technically have access to anything you do on the internet.
I too had this concern. I decided to leave this topic FOR NOW, however, if I discover we are in violation of the law, this will of course be removed.

Poking around the net a bit it would seem general information on the program is freely available, but like I said, it will be removed at the first sign of trouble.
-TheSnackist
AKA Timedude
AKA Your New Benefecent Ruler (Lesser Games Division)
stubby wrote:What the hell! Timedude is here??

:? Well all I can say is,
8) it's about . . . time . . .
:csi:

ForlornCreature
Cannon Fodder
Location: Checking back in between animations for Warhead's follow up to ZZD

Post by ForlornCreature » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:22 am

Hey, there might be operatives working for countries opposed to the USA looking at this site right now...

Hey bad guys, wanna play brikwars?

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24 am

Timedude wrote:
mgb519 wrote:So what happens if the US military considers this game to be classified? They technically have access to anything you do on the internet.
I too had this concern. I decided to leave this topic FOR NOW, however, if I discover we are in violation of the law, this will of course be removed.

Poking around the net a bit it would seem general information on the program is freely available, but like I said, it will be removed at the first sign of trouble.
Don't worry, I already copied the information.

Plus, what if it's classified by a different military? What then?
Image lol j/k