Submersible Rules?

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

ace121
Cannon Fodder

Submersible Rules?

Post by ace121 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:32 pm

I've done a lot of amphibious battles, and almost all of my battles involve at least one boat/ship. Recently though, I've been thinking of implementing my large fleet of submarines and aquanauts/divers, but they are pretty much useless if they just sit on the water. My question is, how would you go about representing diving in Brikwars? You can easily put an aircraft on a stand, but you can't dig up the ground (If you are a little sane) :)

Thanks for any tips, reccomendations, or pics.

"I am Aceman, bringer of quote"

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:12 pm

just build the ground as if it where land then use stands just like flying. If the situation calls for it, use books or boxes to show land

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:27 pm

Make the rest of the field elevated, then put the underwater vehicles on stands on a lower level. Alternatively, you could use stands, but in your imagination, <i>invert</i> them, so that a taller stand means that it's further underwater.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Dr. X
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Dr. X » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:43 am

If you have any of the old blue aquanauts baseplates, use those and other blue ones for the underwater, then the elevated you could use burps, then plates/baseplates on top. There is a way to attach baseplates as a roof, just go around the side. I personally don't think the invert idea, then the submarins are HIGHER than the boats, which is weird.

Also, that's a great idea to have an amhibious battle, with boats and stuff. T'would be awesome.
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.

ace121
Cannon Fodder

Post by ace121 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:52 am

Well, I like Doc X's/Blitzen's first idea best. My one problem with it is that my battleship weighs about 15-20 pounds and would easily snap my precious, precious baseplates in half. I'll try it with structural support underneath. Maybe a couple of pillars in the middle? I'll try it with a small skirmish when I've finished my latest MOC project.

I didn't understand Piltogg's idea, and frankly, all the imagination in the world would leave flying subs a weird spectacle to behold :) .

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:36 am

you could always place markers. The way i do it, is that units can move underwater (assuming they've got the capability to do it) at a vertical motion of moving however many inches. EXAMPLE: something with a move of 8" could dive 4" and move forward 4" in one turn.

to show "how deep" you are on the field, just grab some blue briks. for every inch a certain item is below water, stack a blue brick on top of another, and place it as a marker. if your sub is 20" below water, place 20 briks on top of eachother and put this stack next to your sub.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:14 am

Make a little model of the sub's conning tower or whichever bit sticks up the highest. When the sub is submerged, replace the model of the entire sub with this little model.
Now all accuracy rolls are made against the small size of the conning tower rather than the entire sub, unless you attack with anti-sub weaponry like torpedoes or depth charges. If the conning tower is destroyed the sub is still intact but it has to surface immediately and can't dive again.

If you want to go deeper than 1" below water, just use IV's idea.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:15 am

Theblackdog wrote:Make a little model of the sub's conning tower or whichever bit sticks up the highest.
or just flat out take the conning tower/highest point off of the actual model and plop that somewhere. legos are cool like that.

superdave
Hero

Post by superdave » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:12 pm

Or you could have a separate "underwater" area that corresponds to the surface area elsewhere. You can have untersea battles in this area, surface battles in the other, and have markers on both to indicate the other.

But other ideas presented here are also valid and useful.

ace121
Cannon Fodder

Post by ace121 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:38 pm

Ah yes, the two map idea. That's actually what I use now, but I can't have really big battles with it because my primary battling area (My table) isn't too huge. Good idea when I buy my second table though. When I say really big, I mean upwards towards 5000 cp. Because of this I have pretty much done away with CPs and used the law of fudge to state that "If the teams seem fair, they're fair. Deal with it." Still saving to get them up to ungodly size battles though ;) .

In my next several battles I'll playtest all of your suggestions and tell you how they went.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Hey, that's a good idea: two tables. Then you can put one directly under the other for undersea / subterranean action. Especially if the upper table is glass-top.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:46 pm

ace121 wrote:Well, I like Doc X's/Blitzen's first idea best. My one problem with it is that my battleship weighs about 15-20 pounds and would easily snap my precious, precious baseplates in half. I'll try it with structural support underneath. Maybe a couple of pillars in the middle? I'll try it with a small skirmish when I've finished my latest MOC project.

I didn't understand Piltogg's idea, and frankly, all the imagination in the world would leave flying subs a weird spectacle to behold :) .

I said the same thing as blitzens first idea

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:00 pm

Hey, thats a good idea: glass table. Just use one glass coffee table. The bottom of the sea is the floor. The glass is the surface of the water. You can place islands or boats on it. You can also build oil drilling platforms.

Submersible Rules?
I would suggest placing your paper rules book into a ziplock bag.

ace121
Cannon Fodder

Post by ace121 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:06 pm

Ah. funny. yes though, a glass table would be nice. I will see what i have lying around in the garage for that purpose.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:14 pm

I have a glass table, unfortunatly it's my desk and it's absolutely full of junk atm
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes