Conversion

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

NapalmKing
Cannon Fodder

Conversion

Post by NapalmKing » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Ok I've been thinking of these since I have a religous faction but they would work for whoever wanted to use them these would apply to any religous figures or really well known heroes who would be likely to inspire loyalty in anyone.

Basic priest, healer enchanter lowly mage, etc... 1d6 skill roll if roll is passed a 6 must be rolled to convert.

Bishop, monk powerful magi, etc... 1d10 skill roll if roll is passed a you must roll a 6 on a 1d6 to convert.

Arch priest wise, healer, saint, elite magi, etc... 1d6 skill roll 5 or 6 to convert.

High priest, pope, demigod, mesiah, elf king, etc... 1d10 skill roll 5 or 6 on a 1d6 to convert.

Any critical succeses rolled for skill will aloow the conversion to affect 2 units, any critical failures would allow the unit that you are trying to convert get a free attack on the unit attempting the conversion.

This ability wil not work on heroes or pilots and a minus 2 on all rols for an officer or elite, this ability will not work on other religous warriors or figures if a religon is anti peach then peaches can't be converted same for anti yellow religons.
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former- Albert Einstien.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Sounds pretty convoluted. Why not simplify it?

Conversion (?CP): Conversion may only be used against a non-heroic enemy fig who is currently outnumbered. Roll this hero's skill against the target's. If successful, the target unit becomes a member of your army and is treated as "subjugated."

...outnumbered would included anything from a squad battle of 7 vs. 3 or having more enemy units in a 6" radius than friendlies. Any vehicle or creation would count as x number of friendlies where x = its size.

Idk, something like that. Then you don't have to have 5 different variations and you are essentially rolling your persuasiveness (skill) versus their willpower/gullibility (skill).
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:35 am

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:Why not simplify it?
Or to make it even simpler: you roll a die, the enemy rolls a die, if your roll>enemy's roll, his unit is converted; and for multiple targets, you roll individually.

In the case of regular minifigs, modifiers can be given against weaker/tougher targets.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:51 am

Or that. I was thinking of something akin to forced conscription, but even simpler is always better.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Skill vs. Skill is good, since high-Skilled units like Heroes and Officers should be more difficult to convert than low-Skilled civilians.

There's an alternate version of this coming up in the 2010 rules, for supernatural conversion units like zombies and werewolves and Dimmies - they use the Fire/Poison rules instead, so victims get "infected" with conversion and it may take a couple of turns for the infection to either convert them or be resisted. In that case the infection is resisted by natural Armor rather than Skill.

The rules section is too long and involved to quote here (which is one of the reasons Skill vs. Skill may be better), but I'll summarize: Fire/Acid/Poison/Conversion/Whatever Damage is counted in d4s rather than d6es. On a successful hit, for every d4 that individually rolls higher than the target's Structure level (unarmored minifigs have Structure level 1/2), the target gains one inch of Fire (or Poison etc.), up to his own Size.

At the beginning of each turn thereafter, for every inch of Fire, the target adds a permanent point of Grinding damage , and then takes 1d4 Fire Damage again on top of that. Any 4s rolled increase the Fire by one inch, while any 1s decrease it by an inch, possibly extinguishing it. If the combination of the Grinding Damage and Fire Damage is enough to exceed the targets Armor, then it's burned down / melted in acid / falls victim to the poison effects / converted / etc.

It's a way more complicated mechanic, but it works across all types and sizes of targets, and gives you that tense couple of turns where you don't know if your buddy is going to turn into a zombie or not.

Jbgarrison
Minifig

Post by Jbgarrison » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:57 pm

For the religous conversion idea, I don't think a regular success and critical success should automatically affect 1, and 2 minifigures respectively, but instead should affect 10 CP and 20 CP worth of minifigures respectively.

The victims of conversion should include the target minifigure and any rollover affected CP value should be carried over to the nearest minifigs first (if unable to determnine which minifigs are nearest, roll a die?)

Also, I think with using CP instead, the restrictions against pilots should be removed (so long as the CP of the piloted vehicle is included with the pilots valuation for this purpose). Thus a critical success might convert a bike rider, but not a super death tank driver.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:05 pm

stubby wrote:Skill vs. Skill is good, since high-Skilled units like Heroes and Officers should be more difficult to convert than low-Skilled civilians.

There's an alternate version of this coming up in the 2010 rules, for supernatural conversion units like zombies and werewolves and Dimmies - they use the Fire/Poison rules instead, so victims get "infected" with conversion and it may take a couple of turns for the infection to either convert them or be resisted. In that case the infection is resisted by natural Armor rather than Skill.

The rules section is too long and involved to quote here (which is one of the reasons Skill vs. Skill may be better), but I'll summarize: Fire/Acid/Poison/Conversion/Whatever Damage is counted in d4s rather than d6es. On a successful hit, for every d4 that individually rolls higher than the target's Structure level (unarmored minifigs have Structure level 1/2), the target gains one inch of Fire (or Poison etc.), up to his own Size.

At the beginning of each turn thereafter, for every inch of Fire, the target adds a permanent point of Grinding damage , and then takes 1d4 Fire Damage again on top of that. Any 4s rolled increase the Fire by one inch, while any 1s decrease it by an inch, possibly extinguishing it. If the combination of the Grinding Damage and Fire Damage is enough to exceed the targets Armor, then it's burned down / melted in acid / falls victim to the poison effects / converted / etc.

It's a way more complicated mechanic, but it works across all types and sizes of targets, and gives you that tense couple of turns where you don't know if your buddy is going to turn into a zombie or not.
Awesome.
Last edited by dilanski on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:51 pm

I use that baby hutt from the star wars sets as THE BLOB!!!
It uses its psychic powers to posess any standard minifig, rolling its skill (1d10) vs the minifig's (1d6). If THE BLOB!!! wins, it can force that minifig to do whatever it wants until the minifig or THE BLOB!!! dies (that can include carrying it around, attacking things, etc.). THE BLOB!!! can also dissolve figs it can touch, and use the same psychic ability to make any minifigs that see it forget (so they can't attack THE BLOB!!!).

I remember someone had used the same baby hutt in a battle here and said it had psychic powers, but it died early in the battle. That was the inspiration, but I came up with the exact rules. Whoever did that, thanks for the idea.
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Or just go with the solution Zahru alluded to. Heroic Feat.
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours