Dwarf Fortress Discussion

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians, dilanski

Postby naussica » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:42 am

I've been hearing alot about this game, I'm gonna try it.
naussica
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Fulizer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:26 am

I've been using a tutorial, It appears to be good, but it seems a little easy, I think It may be a bad representation of the game, then again, I am only two years into the game, it may be that it becomes awesome later.
TROLOLO
Fulizer
Cannon Fodder

Postby Arkbrik » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Fear the pig tail fiber thread.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby kerlc » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:21 pm

the time when my 20 fully bronze clad (no iron = :cry: ) men were killed by

15 badgers.

CURSE YOU BADGERS!
landing is for pussies, REAL men crash.

got my warhammer right here.
kerlc
Champion

Postby Arkbrik » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Yay for necro!

I'm playing the Legends of Forlorn Realms mod now, it's pretty cool. My militia commander has an artifact steel battle axe, that's even cooler.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Rody » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:38 am

Fulizer wrote:I've been using a tutorial, It appears to be good, but it seems a little easy, I think It may be a bad representation of the game, then again, I am only two years into the game, it may be that it becomes awesome later.

Well really the greatest appeal to this game is just the amazing depth it has.
Sometimes it depends a bit on your exact surroundings, and sometimes you just HAVE to build a superproject to add some challenge.
add magma, when things seem to easy.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby muffinman42 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:20 pm

Getting back into DF, I decided to read though the defense guides on the magma wiki and found this in "trap design":
"Consider restricting access to your dwarves or building this in a pit with a retractable bridge over top: the mere fact that a location is on fire will not stop them from walking through it."
(context; incinerator trap using lignite floor grates) I think I'll try this out once I find some magma to pump up to the surface. But for the time being; spike traps triggered by pressure plates in meeting areas, finally those lazy good for nothing "no job" slackers can do something useful other than pull leavers to irrigate farms/raise drawbridges/drop nobles into magma.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Olothontor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:55 am

A trio of my IRL friends and I are starting a DF legacy game. I'll keep you posted if anything interesting happens.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby Nitewatchman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:17 pm

So, I once had a dwarf named...Mensha? Mesha? Something similar. She was one of my crafting dwarves, and was a good worker.

One day, she started seeming a bit down...and about an hour later, she went insane. What did she do? She became posessed, ran, grabbed another dwarf, and dragged him off to the butcher shop. There, she slaughtered him, took his bones, and repeated the process several more times. She then made an incredibly scary bone shield. After this, I had her killed.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman
Nitewatchman
Galidor

Postby Olothontor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:56 pm

Nitewatchman wrote:So, I once had a dwarf named...Mensha? Mesha? Something similar. She was one of my crafting dwarves, and was a good worker.

One day, she started seeming a bit down...and about an hour later, she went insane. What did she do? She became posessed, ran, grabbed another dwarf, and dragged him off to the butcher shop. There, she slaughtered him, took his bones, and repeated the process several more times. She then made an incredibly scary bone shield. After this, I had her killed.

Ah, yes. The strange mood phenomenon. Trust me; it happens all the time.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby muffinman42 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:14 am

Just had an elven ambush, two members of the soap maker and furnace operator army fell, one had severe injury but has recovered. a relative of one of them when berserk and killed two dwarfs before being restrained and hammered (as I didn't have a prison assigned).
To reflect this one of my masons withdrew from society and made a artifact... a coffin, made of orthoclass and encrusted with orthoclass, it has no decorations at all.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40585790@N ... hotostream
later I got a new artifact. it's a toy boat, that menaces with spikes...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40585790@N ... hotostream

I built a maze of traps in front of the entrance, theirs a 3 wide short cut which can be closed by drawbridge so that my dorfs don't have to take the long way.
trying to think of a good project now that i'm set up.

Also people have crazy modded this game:
bay12 forums wrote:I modded in the ability to make clothing, ammo, armor, and weapons out of anything in both fortress mode and adventure mode.
In so doing, I learned that war hammers made from elf testicles are surprisingly effective, and that I can get rich selling armor made from cult hair.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.ph ... =79036.135
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby muffinman42 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:43 pm

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25967.0
wow. just. wow. this thread is on one hand really really funny, and on the other... horrifying.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby 501stCadians » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:02 am

8th Sandstone, Year 130. Mid Autumn.

We finally arrived at the location the guild sent us to- Outpost Roldethadial,"Anguisedwall". I immediately set about creating a barracks area for the immigrants and for temporary sleeping arrangements. I also drew out three large rooms- A marketplace, a warehouse, and what will be the main dining hall. I also had the miners dig out an offshoot of the main hall to start digging apartments in.

[[Lemme know if you want a dwarf, i'll name him and detail anything noteworthy.]]
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!

Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.
501stCadians
Playmobil

Postby 501stCadians » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:44 am

32 Sandstone, Year 130. Autumn

Your expedition comes across the ruins of Anguishedwall. A small log is near the front gate, along with multiple skeletons in armor. The last log, dated 9 Sandstone, Year 130 reads:

Those elephants keep nipping closer to the gates, and have killed a dog and two cults already... i can only imagine what would happen were they to charge.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!

Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.
501stCadians
Playmobil

Postby Scottsman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:04 am

Name a dorf after me, this otta be good.
TROLOLO
Scottsman
Cannon Fodder

PreviousNext

Return to blah blah minecraft