BrickArms 2011: M1919, HAC, ARC, and M3 Grease Gun

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Uses a piston-firing system.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Ham
A 701 error is fine too.
A 701 error is fine too.

Post by Ham » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Hoboman wrote:
ikensall wrote:Wasn't there a really bad automatic gun that the argentinians used in the falklands? All I remember is that the knock-back was so bad that only the first shot went anywhere you wanted it to go.
Intranet cookies for someone who knows.
I had not heard that particular story, but they used the FN FAL. The FN FAL is a 7.62mm so I imagine if they used it in Full Auto it would be hard to control. :lol:
Plus, the FN FAL is selective fire, not full auto.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.
Wightbagel died for our sins.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Lol guise the AK74u is the best gun evar lol noobs.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

razgriz 25th inf.
Dimmy

Post by razgriz 25th inf. » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:40 am

Keldoclock wrote:416 is a pretty good improvement over the AR-15, having the AR-15's comfy design and the G36's silky smooth action. It's nothing amazing or new though.

A modern AK variant isn't all that great of an idea, even the AK-10X series. They're in the same boat as the AR-15, in that the basic design hasn't changed much in sixty years.

The AN-94 is probably one of if not the best rifle out there today, but good luck getting one!

Honestly, firearms are a mature technology and there isn't too much room for improvement that doesn't mean blowing tens of thousands of dollars on a weapon for an individual soldier. Thats why the XM8-Punisher system never got put through, despite it being far superior to anything out there today.

Just one more reason to move on to laser guns.
You know, there IS a reason why the XM-8 wasnt put into major production, and its because after prolonged firing the handguard would melt and reshape and they never found a way around this that didnt require a major change to the entire weapon. Besides, the HK416 didnt turn out to be as much of an improvement as it was supposed to be. Theres no doubt it was improved over the AR pattern rifles, but not enough to be any more effective, and is over rated. And i disagree, i think the modern varients were a good idea, using way more modern production and design procedures, as well as replacing the wood grips for lighter, stronger polymer grips.

EDIT:
aoffan23 wrote:Lol guise the AK47u am the best gun evar lol noobs.
fix'd for maximum trollage.
Holy shit, I'm still here?

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:07 am

Ham701 wrote:
Hoboman wrote:
ikensall wrote:Wasn't there a really bad automatic gun that the argentinians used in the falklands? All I remember is that the knock-back was so bad that only the first shot went anywhere you wanted it to go.
Intranet cookies for someone who knows.
I had not heard that particular story, but they used the FN FAL. The FN FAL is a 7.62mm so I imagine if they used it in Full Auto it would be hard to control. :lol:
Plus, the FN FAL is selective fire, not full auto.
Quick lesson for those who do not understand firearms. “Selective Fire” weapons, by definition, have at least one Semi-Auto mode and one Full Auto mode. In the case of the FN FAL the full auto setting allowed fire at about 650 rounds a minute.

Now it is true that the FN FAL sucked for the most part when used in full auto because of the powerful kick of the round it was chambered for. However, to be complete in our little lesson here, the FN FAL HBar variant with the heavy barrel and bi-pod was intended to be used as a Squad Automatic Rifle (in other words, in full auto) and seemed to work well in that role.

So Ham, the FN FAL could fire in full auto and would prove hard to control for any one using it that way. I just had not heard of any stories regarding Argentine forces using it that way.
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

Swordsalmon
Nice TRIPS

Post by Swordsalmon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:29 pm

Ranger S2H wrote:I think that if you have two M16s on your back you might get tangled up when you need one quickly.

but what I meant is shouldn't one, when making a weapon that features a carrying handle, make said carrying handle out of a material that does not conduct heat that well?
Oh, having two M16's on your back is ridiculous for combat, but it looks awesome. ^_^

Really, the issues with the carrying handle isn't too big of a problem. The M16A2's rear sight post is mounted on the handle, so it keeps the posts aligned.

And lolAKs. The AK-74 is a decent rifle, but AKs and AKMs are horrible.
Keldoclock wrote:Swordsalmon: Argues about the price of bits of plastic, yet happily forks over $1 for a quarter-sized bit of plastic that does nothing but look cool.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:06 pm

No doubt due to firing the 7.62×39mm. It's got a hell of a kick.

I don't think people understand that you aren't supposed to use full auto unless you're either in an overwhelming assault or taken by surprise and don't have time to aim.

AK-74M(current rifle of the Russian Army) and the AK-10X series rifles are just lighter, better versions of the basic Kalashnikov design, just as the M-4 is a lighter, better M-16. The AK is not the godrifle people paint it to be. It's the Honda Civic of rifles. It's cheap, tough, easy to use, and the parts are easy to come by. It's a serviceable rifle, not one that you would bitch about having to use, but not one that you would choose over all others, given the chance.

@razgriz
I did say that it wasn't anything new or amazing. I don't know about it being overrated, but it's better than the base AR-15/M16A4/M-4, so there you are.

Me likey German engineering.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:16 pm

Keldoclock wrote:It's the Honda Civic of rifles. It's cheap, tough, easy to use, and the parts are easy to come by. It's a serviceable rifle, not one that you would bitch about having to use, but not one that you would choose over all others, given the chance.
That's why it's always been my go-to rifle. M16s and the like are fine if you're part of a larger organization that'll handle parts and maintenance, but for day-to-day personal work I love AK variants. I would definitely choose it over all others, if I were limited to just one.

Swordsalmon
Nice TRIPS

Post by Swordsalmon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:05 pm

Keldoclock wrote:No doubt due to firing the 7.62×39mm. It's got a hell of a kick.

I don't think people understand that you aren't supposed to use full auto unless you're either in an overwhelming assault or taken by surprise and don't have time to aim.

AK-74M(current rifle of the Russian Army) and the AK-10X series rifles are just lighter, better versions of the basic Kalashnikov design, just as the M-4 is a lighter, better M-16. The AK is not the godrifle people paint it to be. It's the Honda Civic of rifles. It's cheap, tough, easy to use, and the parts are easy to come by. It's a serviceable rifle, not one that you would bitch about having to use, but not one that you would choose over all others, given the chance.
The 7.62 is just too big and heavy for sustained fire. 5.56 NATO is already tough enough to control on burst, let alone a larger cartridge.

The AK-74 is good because it uses a cartridge similar to the 5.56 NATO. 7.62 is terrible for assault rifle use; heavier rounds are better suited for bolt rifles that can better handle the recoil due to a lower rate of fire.

Full-auto is generally pointless, especially considering that NATO dotrine has traditionally relied on accurate, semi-auto fire. People just think squeezing a trigger and going 'dakkkadakkadakka' is going to magically kill everyone and what-not. There's few cases where it does. :/
Keldoclock wrote:Swordsalmon: Argues about the price of bits of plastic, yet happily forks over $1 for a quarter-sized bit of plastic that does nothing but look cool.

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:40 am

If I've learned anything from too many hours of computer gaming.... short controlled bursts :lol:

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:55 pm

Because there's nothing more realistic than a video game, right? You'll even get calluses on your hands!
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:22 pm

I know, totally! I could so easily be a Marine with all of this gaming experience. :roll:

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:08 pm

morganm wrote:I know, totally! I could so easily be a Marine with all of this gaming experience. :roll:
You would die of dysentry.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:21 pm

I think you guys are forgetting the most important gun of all: Dual Uzis

Swordsalmon
Nice TRIPS

Post by Swordsalmon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 pm

morganm wrote:If I've learned anything from too many hours of computer gaming.... short controlled bursts :lol:
Real firearms have the better option; three-round burst. :D
I think you guys are forgetting the most important gun of all: Dual Uzis
Dual-wielding Uzis is just about the most boneriffic thing ever. Those guys who think AKs are incredible look like geniuses compared to the idiot that dual-wields SMGs.