Dwarf Fortress Discussion

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians, dilanski

Postby mgb519 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:20 pm

I am completely lost and am assuming that you're talking about some mod or other. I wouldn't know. Can someone please tell me something so I can find out what it is and get it?
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
Pooplord

Postby Ross_Varn » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:25 pm

There are accessible settings, I.E. raws, in the game files. The file contains every mob in the game, and a list of attributes describes the creature in detail, like Dwarf [STUPID] [LIKES BEER], only a bit more complex. You can find all the tags on the DF wiki.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Scottsman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:27 am

I think we should mod in an obsidian fix to make it more like it is in reality, which is to say, not just a club. You can find the fix Here
TROLOLO
Scottsman
Cannon Fodder

Postby Scottsman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:15 am

Why do I get the feeling that if I want this fort to start, I'll have to do it myself. So be it. I'll make another thread soon.
TROLOLO
Scottsman
Cannon Fodder

Postby Rody » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:30 am

That is generally the way it works around here.
Last edited by Rody on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby 501stCadians » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:11 am

Now hold on like Bonn-o-Tron. When i get home at 5pm EST today, i'll get a succession game booted up. We just need to decide how many of us are playing.

By the way, had to use very expensive 3G internets for this post. >_> So it's important to me. I suppose.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!

Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.
501stCadians
Playmobil

Postby muffinman42 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:46 am

501stCadians wrote:Now hold on like Bonn-o-Tron. When I get home at 5pm EST today, I'll get a succession game booted up. We just need to decide how many of us are playing.

By the way, had to use very expensive 3G internets for this post. >_> So it's important to me. I suppose.

sort out player order, or rotation. sort out map (evil volcano?), sort out any changes to the raws.

can we go with a small embark as some of use have older computers and would appreciate decent frame rate.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Rody » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:16 pm

I wouldn't go too small, as that also very effectively reduces the scale at which we can build our fortress. also it has rather little effect on speed. more on save file size.

limiting the amount of flowing water, making good use of traffic designations, generally reducing the amount of items that it needs to keep track of etc. are more effective in my opinion.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate
-good help.

largest effects as I noticed were always pathing and water dynamics.

oh and yeah, I'm in, so long as my turn isn't next week. (introweek)
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby muffinman42 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Rody wrote:I wouldn't go too small, as that also very effectively reduces the scale at which we can build our fortress. also it has rather little effect on speed. more on save file size.

for me it's a case of memory. i have 1gb of memory. a small map makes LARGE improvements for me, and i have seen it, I embarked on a 4x3 and it ran really fast with dwarfs shooting around, embarked with 5x6 and my dwarfs slugged about.
I know WHY this happens, it's due to the poor ReadWrite speeds of harddrives and the fact that windows will start allocating hard-drive space as "virtual memory" when your memory is full, so the moment my page file history starts going over 1gb my game drops to a crawl.
I would upgrade to 2gb but I'm saving for a proper rig and don't want to wait longer.

also for the succession i don't mind a medium map as I'm only playing one year it doesn't matter if there's slow down, if anything it helps with planning.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Rody » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 am

do you have a usb flash drive with nicely fast read/write? and say 1 or 2 GB or more or something?
with readyboost you can have the computer use that for virtual memory, I think it actually comes with windows 7.

that may be a good way to boost your speeds in the mean time.
does not speed up in all situations tho (kinda depends on how fast your hard drive and flash drives are)
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby muffinman42 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Rody wrote:do you have a usb flash drive with nicely fast read/write? and say 1 or 2 GB or more or something?
with readyboost you can have the computer use that for virtual memory, I think it actually comes with windows 7.

that may be a good way to boost your speeds in the mean time.
does not speed up in all situations tho (kinda depends on how fast your hard drive and flash drives are)

sadly i have 2 free usb slots (a mouse and a soundcard, though for DF i swap the mouse for a keyboard as my laptops one is fail)
though I'm trying to get a external Hub to be able to have a decent keyboard AND mouse AND sound AND more memory
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby muffinman42 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:47 pm

this thread is too dead for my likings!
we need more discussion of how to effectively drop dwarves 50 Z-levels onto goblin sieges!
Or how to drop cast obsidean instead, like giant bombs, a pair of reservoirs, one water, one magma. use magma/water pistons to move the liquids up... then cast the blocks and drop them!
close the doors, and the goblins camp out side, then drop the bombs and they get crashed or knocked out by dust. once the dust has settled military dwarfs can be dropped in to clear up! combined with "child care" and drop mature super warriors! then replenish the warriors with fresh badgers and children.

muffinman cancels type post: taken by fey mood
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Rody » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:59 am

one map encompassing network of pipes and pumps for magma.
to be dropped from reservoirs using magmasafe retractable bridges.
I suppose that if you add reservoirs of water above that, you could drop large chunks of obsidian using the same system.
or flood large areas with water, or dump lava, then dump obsidian on top of it to create magma mist.

another area with elephants above it that you can drop on unsuspecting targets could also be fun, albeit a whole lot less effective.
I think restraints over floor hatches should serve that purpose.
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby GeneralOfDeath » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:15 pm

So, I just got this game. On question, though... HOW DO I MAKE THE DWARVES DO ANYTHING!?!?!?!
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours
TROLOLO
GeneralOfDeath
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Keldoclock » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:00 pm

Assign actions, you can't control dorfs directly.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

PreviousNext

Return to blah blah minecraft