Which rules are better? 2001, or 2005?

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

2001 or 2005? Which do you play?

The 2001 rules pwn! Go complexness!
13
41%
2005 rules rock. They own teh nerdy 2001s you bubs.
19
59%
 
Total votes : 32

Which rules are better? 2001, or 2005?

Postby Dr. X » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:26 am

We all know the 2001 rules are better. I play them, and I've printed them out and put them in a binder. I mean, the 2001 rules have seperate stats for leik every weapon! How could you resist that? And look at all the complicatedness. Nice. I also scribble in my binder a bunch with new weapon stats for other weapons.

But what do you guys think? Are the dummed-down 2005 rules better for YOU?
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
User avatar
Dr. X
Galidor
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Ventura, CA

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:57 am

I actually like the dumbed down 2005 rules better, because everything's easily categorized, as opposed to having to look EVERYTHING up in a rulebook. sure, there's 24 different kinds of guns, but what do you do when that 25th one comes around? LOLWTF MOAR STATS.

the thing is, it's impossible to make every gun because they're all different slightly. for 2001's specific stats, they're just different enough to force you to memorize everything. for 2005's more general stats, they're similar enough so that it's one stat for everything. and besides, an AK-47 will kill you just as dead as an M-16. is it really necessary to differentiate them?
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6307
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Postby spacessj » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:58 am

I like the 2001 ones cause there are so may bits to choose from
Image
ahp77 wrote:"always use melee weapons unless your enemies are annoying you"
User avatar
spacessj
Officer
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:54 pm
Location: Belgium, Europe

Postby Dr. X » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:32 pm

IVhorseman wrote:I actually like the dumbed down 2005 rules better, because everything's easily categorized, as opposed to having to look EVERYTHING up in a rulebook. sure, there's 24 different kinds of guns, but what do you do when that 25th one comes around? LOLWTF MOAR STATS.

the thing is, it's impossible to make every gun because they're all different slightly. for 2001's specific stats, they're just different enough to force you to memorize everything. for 2005's more general stats, they're similar enough so that it's one stat for everything. and besides, an AK-47 will kill you just as dead as an M-16. is it really necessary to differentiate them?


You just memorize all the stats possible and give your troops somewhat similar armament. Also, machine guns all have the same stats btw.
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
User avatar
Dr. X
Galidor
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Ventura, CA

Postby Almighty Benny » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:54 pm

I like the 2005 rules because I'm much less a fan of the "Wargaming", and much more a fan of the "playing with LEGOs" side of BrikWars.
Image
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
User avatar
Almighty Benny
Galidor
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: Connecticut

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:01 pm

they do? last i checked, there were gyro rifles and all sorts of weird machine guns.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6307
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Postby ace121 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:10 pm

2001 rules pwn. Reaons:

6. I have every one of them memorized
7. It provides a lot more material than '05
8. Only a pansy couldn't handle the complexity of '01. Brikwars ain't for pansies!

I liked it more when only brain surgeons could play. A lot less idiots who do cheap shit moves like 'Realistic Nukes'.
Image

"I am Aceman, bringer of quote"
User avatar
ace121
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: between Osama and Amelia Earheart

Postby spacessj » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:51 pm

IVhorseman wrote:they do? last i checked, there were gyro rifles and all sorts of weird machine guns.


those were weapon types, but you can sum it up in 1 rule: more damage--> higher UR
Image
ahp77 wrote:"always use melee weapons unless your enemies are annoying you"
User avatar
spacessj
Officer
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:54 pm
Location: Belgium, Europe

Postby Dr. X » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:21 pm

ace121 wrote:2001 rules pwn. Reaons:

6. I have every one of them memorized
7. It provides a lot more material than '05
8. Only a pansy couldn't handle the complexity of '01. Brikwars ain't for pansies!

I liked it more when only brain surgeons could play. A lot less idiots who do cheap shit moves like 'Realistic Nukes'.


Ditto. MEMORIZE PEEPAL!!
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
User avatar
Dr. X
Galidor
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Ventura, CA

Postby piltogg » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:47 pm

2001 pwns, more is better.
Image
User avatar
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: Fictional Deutschland

Postby Blitzen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:52 pm

I disagree.

The reason I looked for the BrikWars rules was that I had a castle, and my brother wanted to wargame me and stage an invasion. He's kind of dull*, and doesn't like reading, so I wanted the simplest rules possible. I also haven't read the 2001 rules yet because they're so damn long and not in html.

*He dropped out of university and went to the dumbest college ever.
Image
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
User avatar
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Dr. X » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Blitzen wrote:I disagree.

The reason I looked for the BrikWars rules was that I had a castle, and my brother wanted to wargame me and stage an invasion. He's kind of dull*, and doesn't like reading, so I wanted the simplest rules possible. I also haven't read the 2001 rules yet because they're so damn long and not in html.

*He dropped out of university and went to the dumbest college ever.


Well, when I play with most of my friends, I pretty much HAVE to use 2005, because they aren't dumb but they just have played Heroscape too much to even care about a huge awesome rulebook. But with myself, my brother, and 2 of my friends, we are teh nerds of 2001. Oh yeah baby.

And why the HELL would anyone VOLUNTARILY drop out of a UNIVERSITY for a DUMBEST COLLEGE EVAR? Aah don' geet at.
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
User avatar
Dr. X
Galidor
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Ventura, CA

Postby Blitzen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:06 pm

I think they kicked him out. :/
Image
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
User avatar
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Dr. X » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:07 pm

Blitzen wrote:I think they kicked him out. :/


What did he do, set fire to a textbook or something?
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
User avatar
Dr. X
Galidor
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Ventura, CA

Postby Blitzen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:08 pm

No, he failed stuff.
Image
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
User avatar
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Next

Return to The Rulebook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests