This is epic

Since the dawn of time, one genre of music has dominated and ruled with an iron fist

Moderators: BFenix, Apollyon

Postby Zupponn » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Bragallot » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:41 am

Zupponn wrote:allmusic

:wtf:
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Postby BFenix » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:35 pm

Find your taste in the great family tree pentagram of Metal. According to these guys, there are five main themes, check it out: http://www.metalinjection.net/wp-conten ... ymetal.jpg
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Zupponn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:07 am

It really is funny how bad metal bands are at naming themselves.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Ham701 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Nice job on whoever made it. My only grip is that Judas Priest's name has nothing to do with religion and is from a Bob Dylan song.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Ohai so Judas Priest is power metal btw. Power metal is all about music that sounds like your balls are getting stretched out from the centrifugal force of riding your murdercycle in constant loop-de-loops. Power metal is, quite simply, music meant to sound powerful.

So Ram it Down.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Zupponn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Ham701 wrote:Nice job on whoever made it. My only grip is that Judas Priest's name has nothing to do with religion and is from a Bob Dylan song.

Please look up Judas in the Bible and then the definition of priest in the dictionary.

@IVhorseman: :guinness:
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Bragallot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Naw. Power Metal first really started out with Helloween and nowadays Power Metal bands are things like Firewind, Avenged Sevenfold and stuff which has little to nothing in common with Judas. Judas Priest is pure no bullshit Heavy Metal :twisted:
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby Zupponn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Bragallot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:19 pm

That's just BS. The sound of Helloween is miles away from that of Judas Priest. There's no grid that fits both of them. Unless you're one of those people who thinks high-pitched vocals equals power metal. Have you considered all the other adjectives put before 'metal' are just there to show what you mean differs from the actual word, which can also stand on it's own? Some of those bands on that list (Judas, Accept) are just that. That said Accept are pretty versatile as they had influence on Thrash in Germany (Fast As A Shark) and some of their songs are definitely speed. As for Malmsteen... He's Neoclassical, as far as I know him.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby Keldoclock » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:47 pm

On this chart I fall quite comfortably in Hard Alternative. Sometimes I like to understand wtf the band is singing.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Ham701 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:51 pm

@Zupponn:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5s6zr64LHg
It's from this song. The original band was formed in 1968, with the core line up of Halford, Tipton, Downing, and Hill replacing all the original members by 1974.

I have to agree with Brags, they're just certain bands you can't group with others. Priest is one of those, they've been around such a long time they've got their own sound that differs from record to record. Another band I consider to be like that is Motorhead. It's not really speed, it's not really heavy, it's not really punk, and it's not really hard rock. It's just Motorhead.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor

Postby Zupponn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Ham701 wrote:they've got their own sound that differs from record to record.

I can agree with this. There are probably albums to look at that say that Priest is power metal and others to look at that say that Priest is something else. Just take a look at Priest's Wikipedia page and there are four different categorizations for them: heavy metal, speed metal, hard rock, and power metal.
Bragallot wrote:Power Metal first really started out with Helloween and nowadays Power Metal bands are things like Firewind, Avenged Sevenfold and stuff which has little to nothing in common with Judas. Judas Priest is pure no bullshit Heavy Metal Twisted Evil

I just looked at this closely and thought about it. Manowar was before Helloween and Manowar is power metal. Avenged Sevenfold is not power metal, no matter how you look at them. I'm not even sure if Avenged Sevenfold is metal at all. Firewind is definitely power metal, but better and more well known examples of today's power metal scene could have been Hammerfall, Dragonforce, and Kamelot.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby piltogg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:36 pm

but.... but.... cradle of filth isn't from norway!?!?!?!?!
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby stubby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:54 am

They're still part of that tradition though.

I don't know if I fall under the Industrial, Death, or Black categories according to this chart. Understanding lyrics is nice and everything but the Alternative guys seem kind of weak sauce.
stubby
Psy.D Child Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

PreviousNext

Return to The Metal