Vehicle Weapons question

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Vehicle Weapons question

Post by Ben-Jammin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Okay, so lets say a tank has a cannon that can be operated by both the driver and gunner. The gunner uses his skill (1d8 with mounted weapons) to fire the cannon, but the pilot decides to use his extra vehicular action to fire the weapon as well. Can the two combine their skill rolls to use the cannon against the same target, for a skill roll of 1d8+1d6+size bonus?

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:47 pm

I don't think so.

You can however slap a machinegun on the side of the tank and have the driver control that to deal with Infantry.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:59 pm

It's counter-intuitive as well, you could just slap 10 pilots in the tank and have an almost guaranteed hit...

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:02 pm

That's also ten chances to fail, isn't it?
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:57 am

As far as I understand gunners can add only +1 to the attack roll, but really I see no reason why you'd need multiple mini-figs using a weapon at any battlefield scale, the 1d8 skill gunner, plus all the other bonuses would almost always make it usable.

@ mgb519

It'd depend whether you treat each skill roll separately thus only the pilots failing to help or treated them as one roll in which case:
If there are multiple dice in a roll, it's only a Critical Failure if all of the dice come up '1.' 1:2 Numbers
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:22 am

It's just that I noticed that if I tried to hit a minifig with a size 3 weapon (which has a UR of 9) it would literally be impossible for the gunner to even fire the weapon unless he got a critical. I know it sounds like overkill, but what if you are trying to hit a cluster of minifigs that aren't in a squad with a large weapon (i.e. a tank cannon) and you can't target an individual?

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:24 am

If you were firing explosives then you could use missed shots You could also use tracking if you fielded scouts
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:29 am

Ben-Jammin wrote:It's just that I noticed that if I tried to hit a minifig with a size 3 weapon (which has a UR of 9) it would literally be impossible for the gunner to even fire the weapon unless he got a critical. I know it sounds like overkill, but what if you are trying to hit a cluster of minifigs that aren't in a squad with a large weapon (I.e. a tank cannon) and you can't target an individual?
You get bonuses when attacking large targets- just target the squad of figures, other vehicles, or other large areas.

This gives you a compelling reason to have your own infantry to kill their infantry.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:42 am

Most large weapons aren't meant to be fired at minifigs, but structures and creations of size 2 or larger. You don't need to deal 3d6 damage to a minifig.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:50 am

If you're firing at a large group of minifigs, you choose a location within that group and then use the missed shot rules to see if you got close enough to hit any of them.

There aren't any Size 3 weapons with a UR of 9, unless you're swinging a Size 3 Random Object around under the 2005 rules. You were probably looking at the Cost table instead of the Use table by mistake.

The bonus from multiple Gunners is most useful when you start firing big Launchers, their Use rating can go up pretty quickly.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:05 pm

The bonus from multiple Gunners is most useful when you start firing big Launchers, their Use rating can go up pretty quickly
I wasn't sure whether or not a tank cannon counted as a launcher or a gun.
This gives you a compelling reason to have your own infantry to kill their infantry.
I have plenty of infantry, but I like to field large squads of tanks and IFVs as well.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Solution: Run them over. then use your cannon on something with a bit more stature.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:50 pm

enders_shadow wrote:Solution: Run them over. then use your cannon on something with a bit more stature.
This is ALWAYS the solution. Except for a battle I had one time where a guy survived being hit by a small assault car and shot three times. One of the shooters fell victim to another's crit fail, however.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:39 am

stubby wrote:If you're firing at a large group of minifigs, you choose a location within that group and then use the missed shot rules to see if you got close enough to hit any of them.
But doesn't the defending player get to choose where those missed shots land? why wouldn't the shot just land harmlessly in some other spot (unless of course explosives are being used, in which case this is totally plausible).

It's hard to hit minifigs with large weapons for the same reason an anti-tank gun has trouble nailing infantry with it's shots. However, it can be made easier by certain factors like spending turns aiming, stationary targets, and by mounting the weapon (*snicker*).

Let your IFV's handle the soft fleshy things. The tanks are for blowing the giant flying saucer to so many tiny pieces that it's indistinguishable from the remains of a giant nuclear robot.