It's NaNo Season!

BrikWars fiction in long-prose form. Trigger warning: Walls of text

Moderators: The Shadowscythe, Quantumsurfer

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

It's NaNo Season!

Post by Olothontor » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:52 pm

So, with a little less than four hours until midnight on November 1st (my time on the U.S. East coast), I was wondering:

Who else is participating in NaNoWriMo this year? Who's done it in previous years? What's your plot idea (or lack thereof)?

Good luck to all of you who decide to jump into the carnage. It's going to be a good month, full of caffeine and madness, and possibly carnivorous laser pandas. Who knows, really?
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:52 pm

We'll see how far I get. See you on the other side.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:44 pm

15 minutes and counting.

EDIT: It's now 1:30 in the morning or so, and I'm about 500 words in. I'm moving quite slowly, since I did very little planning beforehand. Here's what I have so far (I kinda wish this forum had Spoiler boxes now).
Olly's NaNo2011 wrote:The rising sun shone brightly off of the white towers, standing tall above the vast grayness of the plains. Joneris shielded his eyes as a glint of sunlight passed. His small landspeeder was on full-throttle; he figured out in the plains there was no need to cruise at any lesser speed. Flecks of prairie dust barrage the windshield, glancing off into the midday sky, and the occasional clump of odd, wiry grass was seen, flattened in the wake of the passing speeder.
Joneris was on his way back to Faror-Alei, one of a handful of semi-prosperous ore mining communities along the Dorsian plains, supplying more major cities and shipyards with the refined materials needed to continue their steady output. He worked as a surveyor, and on this day he was returning with some information on a nearby ore outcropping that had shown potential upon his first pass. How it had remained hidden this long with such a ravenous little mining town nearby, he had no idea, but he was glad he had found it. The pickings had been scarce recently, and he had been afraid for at least a little while that he would have to move down a few floors on his home tower, where the rooms are smaller, dingier, and cheaper.
The landspeeder began to slow as it came closer to the city walls, a large splash of faded color against the bleak backdrop of the plains. Joneris groped for a moment in his pocket, looking for his citizen registry as the speeder crawled to a halt in front of a small guard post.
“Afternoon, brother.”
“Likewise, sister.” Joneris blurted out the words in a monotone; the customary greetings were so ingrained that they required no thought whatsoever.
“Registry, if you would please.” The small rubbery slate was passed from one hand to another, and the guard put it under the scanner on her belt. She paused to read the screen, then passed the registry back.
“Welcome back to Faror-Alei, Brother Joneris. The gates are open to you.”
“Much appreciated, sister. May the Mother smile upon you.”
“And so upon all.” Joneris moved the speeder forward, not even waiting for the guard’s response. He had heard it all before, as if the entire meeting had been scripted without anyone realizing it. The gates shimmered back into existence behind him as his speeder navigated itself down two blocks and stopped off at one of the mid-size towers near the edge of the town, powering down and lowering itself slowly to the ground.
The Dorsians were a particularly theocratic people. The vast majority of their population worshipped the Mother, a matriarchal Goddess figure that, according to their texts, gave birth to the universe. The Church of the Mother was particularly prominent in the Outlands and other non-central areas of Dorsia; of late there had been much talk of new, radical religious theories rising as a result of the Church’s power.
-=[ Visage ]=-

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:20 am

Since I utterly failed my last years novel due to epic procrastination, lets see if I can actually write more than a 300 words intro this year...

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:32 am

BFenix wrote:Since I utterly failed my last years novel due to epic procrastination, lets see if I can actually write more than a 300 words intro this year...
Aye! Here's hoping the same for me as well! :D
It's a secret to everybody.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:22 pm

You know, i actually felt compelled out of nowhere to start writing an epic story about a deadly space pirate crew, and it just so happened to be on the first. Weird how that stuff happens, but I guess I'm participating too!

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:56 pm

I actually started a month early, and will probably be done a year late. Deal with it.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Computer lost it's shit and ate my story! there goes that.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:31 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Computer lost it's shit and ate my story! there goes that.
Happens to the best of us.
-=[ Visage ]=-

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:18 am

Yeah... Me!