Mouse Guard...?

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Nitewatchman
Dimmy

Mouse Guard...?

Post by Nitewatchman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:27 pm

Has anyone read the comics/played the tabletop RPG?

I'd been eying the boxed tabletop set for some time now in several shops, but hadn't sprung for it because of the $70 price tag.

However, today I found a hard backed copy of the rulebook in Booksamillion, so I bought it. 35 bucks, so it wasn't too expensive, and the art/premise really caught my attention.

I was just wondering if any of you Brikwarriors have had any experience with the world/the game. I'm kind of considering running a campaign on Infrno.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman

morganm
Dimmy

Re: Mouse Guard...?

Post by morganm » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:48 am

I find the setting intriguing but the system it was developed for doesn't sound interesting. I'd rather take the setting and use it for a Pathfinder LITE campaign =^.^=

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:56 am

So it's Redwall, but with only mice, and the story is historically set instead of a fictional setting?

Ham
A 701 error is fine too.
A 701 error is fine too.

Post by Ham » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:23 pm

Redwall with only mice? What kind of buttfuckery is this? Every who read Redwall knew mice were the worst animals.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.
Wightbagel died for our sins.

Nitewatchman
Dimmy

Post by Nitewatchman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:41 am

OneEye589 wrote:So it's Redwall, but with only mice, and the story is historically set instead of a fictional setting?
it's not historical, it's a fictional setting.

And there are other animals, all apparently intelligent, but most of independent civilizations. The mice occasionally work with the Hares, paying them to let them use the hares as mounts. It's basically focusing more on the mice to highlight the bottom-of-the-food-chain thing; that they're the smallest creatures out there yet they have one of the most prominent civilizations. They're valiant, etc.

Weasels also have a pretty organized society, too, but the mice went to war with them at one point so you don't see much of them in the comics.

Also, bats are creepy as piss.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:41 pm

My understanding was that Mouseguard was designed to introduce people to Burning Wheel, because people coming in straight from D&D don't understand that combat is something that can actually kill you unless you make them think of themselves as mice for awhile.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:34 pm

All the other animals was the best part of Redwall though. I mean there were frickin' badgers walking around next to mice and being awesome. All the animals had awesome personalities and it was just another good trait to go along with it. Instead of "Oh, he's just ANOTHER good guy, so he's probably a mouse," it's like "He's just ANOTHER good guy, but he's a BADGER who used a sword bigger than most of the other characters in the story."

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:55 am

To be honest? Redwall rocked. That was my favorite book series as a kid. (I went for a massive-style correlation map between every single book location once, think that's still in a box somewhere...) Now, an actual RPG exists with that type of world as it's base? Why, exactly, have I not heard of this before? Bollocks.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:09 pm

The Mouseguard is an organization that, wait for it, guards mice during their daily lives and journeys. It's pretty neat as a concept, and most libraries have the books available to check out (it's a comic series, or graphic novels I guess). The RPG system is fairly rules-light and is designed to be episodic. The difficulties and challenges are varied, including combat, environmental hazards, and the social stuff; each of which is given equal screen time and difficulty as combat.

That said, it does have a bit of "It's not merely D&D" pretentiousness that can be a bit of an obstacle if you're not a fan of authors basically profiling you. It's not as bad as The Window's attitude by far, but it's still there and is a bit uncalled-for.
It's a secret to everybody.