Star Wars Original Trilogy

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Star Wars Original Trilogy

Postby Insert_blank » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:40 am

Does anyone know if a DVD version of the OT exists without Greedo shooting first, the stupid dewbacks, and worst of all the new song and dance number in ROTJ? I wanted to watch ROTJ tonight but I can't bear the new song or all these crappy CGI aliens hanging out near Boba Fett trying to make him look like a pimp. Not to mention they totally ruined Oola's whole dance and trying to resist Jabba scene.

So much nerd rage right now. I had the VHS box set that my grandparents gave me for my 6th birthday and those tapes, in addition to being in another country, are so worn from hundreds of viewings that I can barely watch them even if I had them.
:no:
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Douse yourself in water and repent.
Insert_blank
Cannon Fodder

Re: Star Wars Original Trilogy

Postby Zahru II » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:04 am

There might be some original cut torrents up there somewhere...
But to add my two cents, I'm against the constant re-editings as well. They just feel... unnecessary.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Keldoclock » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:46 am

I'm sure there are plenty of people who transferred the tapes to a digital media, just a matter of finding them and paying them.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby OneEye589 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:31 pm

I think when Lucas remastered the remastered version again, he made it so Han shot first again. Everyone knows this is the most important thing and although the other stuff sucks, it doesn't matter compared to that.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Silverdream » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:36 pm

I find half the crap annoying and distracting. It's hard to appreciate all the hard work that went into the sets and costumes when there's CG robot slapstick going on in the background.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Nitewatchman » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:04 pm

Keldoclock wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of people who transferred the tapes to a digital media, just a matter of finding them and paying them.

Or searching pirate bay and not paying anyone.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman
Nitewatchman
Galidor

Postby Insert_blank » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:45 pm

I can almost ignore the whole who shot first thing because I'd rather watch Empire than New Hope most days and that one was hardly messed with. But you all should really watch the Jabba's Palace dance scene. It is so much worse than I could ever imagine. And if you remember in the original the Twilek dancer Oola was singing/ begging Jabba not to make her do whatever it is that Hutts like done to them sexually (there's a book out there that describes what she had to do for him :shock: ) but her pleas went along with the music perfectly and the song was kind of cool. In the new one they have these weird CGI aliens singing this bizarre song and they just looks bad especially the two main singers.
Apparently they could film an extra scene before Oola gets eaten by the rancor with her face in shock and it's the actual actress and she barely aged. That's sort of cool but the rest is so pointless and turns a scene that shows how cruel Jabba is into a boring song and dance number that has no place in the movie.
I really want to get my girlfriend into Star Wars but now I'm worried I can't find the original version of the films. Hopefully someone on Baidu (Chinese google) pirated the originals and we can get them there...
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Insert_blank
Cannon Fodder

Postby Keldoclock » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Damn you Golden Shield!
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby ForlornCreature » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:53 pm

I seem to recall in a plinkett review,he had footage of George Lucas talking about how special effects were a tool for the story back in the 80s, and then showed footage of the co-producer of the prequels whatever he was, saying how each frame was so dense, how special effects were used extensively in every frame of the movie. In a sense they're just trying to soil the originals so they match how bad the prequels more in order to bring 'balance' to the force by jamming in unneeded and distracting effects wherever they can :roll:
ForlornCreature
Jaw-Jaw

Location: Animating lego in a dark room someplace in the savage land of Australia

Postby OneEye589 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:37 am

I have all of the originals on VHS from their original release.

I mean, it is sort of blasphemous, but the 1997 remastered versions of the original trilogy are still better than the prequels, so I'm alright with it.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:11 pm

"A New Hope: Revisited" is some recut made by some crazy autistic who fixed everything and recolored every single scene and even added a little CGI. it's awesome.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Zupponn » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Soon the original movies will be unrecognizable from the way they once were.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Ben-Jammin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:01 am

Except for those of us who have the originals on VHS.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby Insert_blank » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:22 am

Can't get on Wookiepedia right now but I read something to the effect that Lucas's plan is to have the original cuts of the films disappear completely so that in 100 years people will only remember Star Wars with the crappy cgi. He basically said "Even people who don't like it can't do much since the VHS tapes will only last 30 or 40 more years tops. This is my vision for how the movies should have been and that's that."

Damn you, Lucas! In slightly related news I watched Red Letter Media's review of Indy 4 and basically they made the argument that Lucas and Spielberg are old and boring now so they keep changing their movies to be more family friendly instead of the gritty violence they made before they had families. Basically they said that it's understandable but sort of lame that they're allowed to get away with it.
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Insert_blank
Cannon Fodder

Postby Silverdream » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:56 pm

We have to kill George Lucas.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Next

Return to General Discussion